Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

It was brutal. One  clipper in the mid 80s that put down a surprise 3-4 inches of currier and ives was a big deal. 86-87,87-88  and 89-90 were all solid where I was in Bristol CT but 88-89 hardly produced a foot and 84-85 was hardly 20 inches, 90-91 and 91-92 were abysmal too.

Even last year we had two double digit events here in death valley, although we only had about 40 total on the season and then that strange Dec 1 event the year before that was huge so we still have not regressed that much. Double digit snows only are supposed to happen 1 in every 4 winters for BDL

I enjoyed my overcast day that felt and looked like snow today, if there were a few flurries I missed them and that is just fine.

That area is brutal to begin with snow-wise. Went to Umass-Amherst from 07-11 and I think the most from one storm was like 11".

Usually just too far west for big coastals and temps are on par for SE Mass in that valley. They switched over so many times in light precip when I was there I cant even count.

I do remember though in the late 90's  and early 2000's that area getting hit hard by coastals. Seemed back then that the mean storm track was right over the Cape and from ORH west would get clobbered. The last 20 years that mean storm track has moved more towards the BM (last 2 years even further south and east) hence the constant screwjobs for the Pioneer Valley

1 minute ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That area is brutal to begin with snow-wise. Went to Umass-Amherst from 07-11 and I think the most from one storm was like 11".

Usually just too far west for big coastals and temps are on par for SE Mass in that valley. They switched over so many times in light precip when I was there I cant even count.

I do remember though in the late 90's  and early 2000's that area getting hit hard by coastals. Seemed back then that the mean storm track was right over the Cape and from ORH west would get clobbered. The last 20 years that mean storm track has moved more towards the BM (last 2 years even further south and east) hence the constant screwjobs for the Pioneer Valley

Amherst, Holyoke and Springfield are some of the toughest spots in the valley for various topographic reasons.  

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Amherst, Holyoke and Springfield are some of the toughest spots in the valley for various topographic reasons.  

Yeah, anywhere within a mile or 2 of the river might as well have the same snow climo as Central Jersey. It's really bad being sandwiched with the Berkshires to the west (never good to have some N-S mountain chain just to the west of you) and Worcester Hills to the east. 

Topography has to be one of the worst in NE

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Nice.   We had some flurries for an hour this morning but that’s been it. Hoping for a coating tonight but not holding my breath. 
I don’t care but I have a 10-year-old snow weenie who is chomping at the bit for first accumulating of the season. 

Its still hanging on and looks to be building again some to the south,

IMG_6798.PNG

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Mixing flakes and dots here at 37. Could CJ a bit if the CF comes through early enough. Not expecting much overall. My son called me negative and thinks over 1”. Not sure at some point back in 2012 Kevin went to my condo when I wasn’t home?

That OES band looks like it's slowly drifting s, I wouldnt be surprised if it's heading near you.