Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

trend-ecmwf_full-2021121500-f102.850th.us_ne.gif

This is actually a really good loop....the midlevel center obviously has trended solidly north in the past few runs....but notice how out to the east in the gulf of maine, the 850 temps haven't moved much....which shows the confluence working. The last frame has solid southerly flow at 850 while the first frame was actually out of the north in that area....but yet not a big difference in temps. That's what you want to see for a classic several hour thump.

Only limiting factor in the antecedent airmass is pretty crappy....otherwise this would probably be a decent thump down to even near NYC instead of BOS-ORH being near the line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

East of the river, south of the pike, in and up. 

As someone often on the edge of synoptic systems, I feel like an expert that can speak on plenty of systems where east/west is the discussion :lol:.  Meanwhile folks in ORH don’t know what worrying about ticks east/west/north/south are like.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep...I was looking even further into the future....but it's already pretty well established before that....even back to around 84-96 hours it's well under way.

D10, it's pretty mature and that's a party time look.

Dec15_12zEuro234.png

Real nice to see this stuff move up in time and not just stuck in fantasy land. We probably wait down here for something after xmass but up by sne/nne it’s sooner 

• Like 1

Someone else start a thread...I have bad karma right now.

First Call ready.
First plowable snowfall likely across at least the northern half of the region late Saturday into early Sunday likely to result in a white Christmas, especially points north of the Mass Pike. Mess mix points south with perhaps a period of nasty ice in northern CT.
Should have update Friday or Saturday.

First Call.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

those height anomalies are deceptive 

ecmwf_T850a_namer_11.png

Many further south will have to wait until the good stuff advects in from the plains post-Xmas, but those 850 anomalies are totally fine for snow up in NE as long as you squashing storms south of us.

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's funny that NARCAN is a lot more generous at 00z than you'd expect but less generous down there at 12z. That run looked definitively snowier to me down there than those snow maps would suggest.

Yea, I like it because it doesn't go weenie, but sometimes it goes aggressive limiting snow due to low levels...often times you need to ignore it near the coastline.

i'm not arguing that run wasn't better down there.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Many further south will have to wait until the good stuff advects in from the plains post-Xmas, but those 850 anomalies are totally fine for snow up in NE as long as you squashing storms south of us.

Troll application submitted, reviewed and denied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Troll application submitted, reviewed and denied.

I mean, it's a valid point....usually that pattern would be colder but we haven't had the initial advection of arctic air south so we're dealing with a more marginal airmass pre-Xmas. But as long as storms are shove south of us, we'd still be snow in that setup. 850 climo by Xmas is about -6C or -7C....so hovering a degree or two above that with storm tracks to our south will work....but if a storm tries to hug or cut west, it could be a bigger issue.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

does that thing just off the se coast get pulled into the trough coming down into the lakes?

The northern stream doesn’t dig enough so it gets pushed out to sea. If the block trends stronger it’s probably something that could happen. The airmass is a bit marginal down here but for the interior it could work