Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gotcha...thats apparent now, but I wasn't out far enough.

Yeah it is kind of competing narratives....colder usually means further south with precip, but in this case it does not. The main shortwave is actually stronger than 00z but the confluence to the north is also stronger....so the two trends combined produce a colder outcome but also a more robust precip shield......which is ideal. You want a juiceir shortwave but also not at the expense of cold....the way to get that is to also trend the confluence stronger.

• Like 2

Just now, Sugarloaf1989 said:

What are we hoping for,  a few inches of snow?  A week before Christmas and next week looks cold and dry. Fingers crossed for snow otg.

Yeah pretty much for Sat nite/ Sunday. Storm threat very much there next week in the Tuesday- Xmas Day timeframe. Models still sorting it out and offering different days

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah pretty much for Sat nite/ Sunday. Storm threat very much there next week in the Tuesday- Xmas Day timeframe. Models still sorting it out and offering different days

I'm heading to my sister's house on Christmas Day.  Her house is 1,470'.

Probably higher elevation than most on the forum in the East. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Your snow maps aside, this run looked better on the initial front end down there...there's a quick 2-3hr burst.

Well, fine...I'm not arguing the meteorology, just reporting the raw output. Maybe its also just the narcan map because it can be stingy in low levels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Take the Narcan and toggle both 00z and 12z snow grids and you will follow.

That's funny that NARCAN is a lot more generous at 00z than you'd expect but less generous down there at 12z. That run looked definitively snowier to me down there than those snow maps would suggest.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ll take my chances with a euro look… probably would pound Saturday evening for a while 

You want a stronger thump to get anything worthwhile....with a marginal profile, a lighter precip shield was going to be pretty useless outside of the interior hills. That's why both the main shortwave and the confluence trending stronger at the same time is a better solution.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

You want a stronger thump to get anything worthwhile....with a marginal profile, a lighter precip shield was going to be pretty useless outside of the interior hills. That's why both the main shortwave and the confluence trending stronger at the same time is a better solution.

Right…. We need good rates… euro looks like it would provide that for a bit anyway.