Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

?? I didn't say that. The evolution on the GFS just is rather bizzare. It's tapping into that storm way offshore. I even commented on something near Christmas when Will and I posted yesterday. I think something could happen, but I wouldn't lock anything yet.

It kind of looks like what the Canadian ( I believe Canadian IIRC) was showing yesterday. Block holds energy offshore, as energy dives in... it is strange looking

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It tilted too, so the def zone was almost N-S. Really bizarre event. The only thing that saved ern areas, was the strong low level forcing. Not necessarily a CF...but it was really convergent at 925-850.  Dry as a bone above 850 but unstable. So that forcing was able to get some upward motion going in the unstable layer and create a band of heavy precip. Not a common setup.

On the other hand, almost everyone even inland gusted to 50kts. 

Yea, I got stuck in between the low level and mid level forcing. The wind was awesome....rare for my area.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

15.5", It was a good 3 week stretch from 12/27 to 01/21, The book ends were meh, Finished slightly below avg.

I think this season will have a stronger ending.....that was westerly QBO and stronger la nina.

Obviously the middle portion won't be as prolific down here.

There's a pretty good cold drain that may develop during the storm in the low levels. Could be the type of thing where it starts off as rain (or wet snow in northern SNE/CNE)...and then goes to a drier snow further north and pellets/ZR further south where there is still a warm layer aloft, but the cold drain in the low levels is undercutting that.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

NAM is fairly cold at the surface, but torched near 850. That's a nice 33F Ray type rain here. 

NAM is like -4C at 925mb along the pike....lol. That would be a scalp-peeling pelletfest here I think. Hoping for a tick colder aloft so it's more snow.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

NAM is like -4C at 925mb along the pike....lol. That would be a scalp-peeling pelletfest here I think. Hoping for a tick colder aloft so it's more snow.

Winds go N-NNE inland so the cold drain will happen there I think. I'd like for this to get a little boost as it exits. Would help to end as a little snow.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Winds go N-NNE inland so the cold drain will happen there I think. I'd like for this to get a little boost as it exits. Would help to end as a little snow.

Yeah the Euro suite/ensembles have been trying to pop this a bit before it exits and flip a lot of peeps to snow for a few hours. It looks like the NAM and RGEM may try to go that route if we had another panel or two....esp RGEM more than the NAM...RGEM was already collapsing the 925 low at the end.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the Euro suite/ensembles have been trying to pop this a bit before it exits and flip a lot of peeps to snow for a few hours. It looks like the NAM and RGEM may try to go that route if we had another panel or two....esp RGEM more than the NAM...RGEM was already collapsing the 925 low at the end.

I think I am golden for white xmas up here.

• Like 1