Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Question in general…. Why is there say, more snow down here than northern and western conn? Is it the position of the high, and draining of the cold air?

Yeah it is typical in these events where the WAA aloft is stronger off to the west as opposed to a coastal that might be hugging the coast where the WAA is strongest in southeast areas.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Question in general…. Why is there say, more snow down here than northern and western conn? Is it the position of the high, and draining of the cold air?

Well the clown maps may be off and noisy a bit, but it could be that temps just aloft are a bit cooler when the precip burst comes in. For you and I, we'll need to keep an eye on surface temps.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Man… another like 15-20 mile bump south and that’s a pretty snowy look here 

Still have the warm tongue above H85 to deal with. GFS has the max profile temps around H8-75. That can change, but you know how these things usually go...warmer tongues and cooler low levels. Keep the warm punch lower to near H85 and get a good thump of upglide before the tongue goes above freezing and you can get a good front end dump.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

That is some hefty WAA. That would lead to some serious rates. That degree of WAA reminds me of November 2018 (I think that was November). And that event was pretty wild...especially down across SE PA/NJ/Long Island/S CT

image.thumb.png.2c10ddf4f70abc7df6961ea028972213.png

Pretty classic running into a brick wall there...you nearly have a closed 850 high sitting there just N of the US/Quebec border.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty classic running into a brick wall there...you nearly have a closed 850 high sitting there just N of the US/Quebec border.

Indeed...this is actually becoming quite exciting. I love these sneaky setups too...these can often overperform too. There are actually some signals too that there could be two heavy bands of snow (which would then bring into question some areas of subsidence) but one heavy band of snow just north of the low track and another in the vicinity of the strongest WAA (these two don't seemed to be overlapped). 

I am hoping the degree of ulvl divergence given that streak will promote large enough lift to blossom a precipitation shield but sometimes these setups become more band oriented.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How many times inches Qpf did Dec 1973 icestorm have?

You and your ice storms LOL. I'd much rather have sleet. The last thing I'd want is an ice storm. I would never want to have the damage and destruction and I stream can cause. Let alone losing power. Let's hope for sleet and snow

• Like 1
  • Confused 1