Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

32 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Absolutely agreed...100%. Our weather is quite tame when you look at other parts of the country. I mean when they get blizzards in the Plains...they get blizzards. Portions of highways will be shut down and the videos are absolutely wild. Visibility is zero. These places make our snow look meh and they certainly make our severe weather look even more meh 

They get the blizzards but typically not the accumulations we get.  I'll take the heavy accumulations.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

18z Euro a tick or 2 north of 12z, Ramping up the qpf some as well this run.

Brian/Pit2/You look to be in a great place for this first taste of winter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe the GFS will be right after all. LOL.

Goal posts narrowing.  RT 2 north with the classic SWFE area of southern Greens to Center Harbor to all of western Maine from Rangley to Tamarack to Dryslot.  Don't care what the snow map says, Dryslot snows more than that shows.  It's got the feel of a large area of 3-6", with 4-8" for the climo swath... sharp gradient on the south side but 1-4" with sleet then rain.

The trick is finding out where the gradient is but the overall vibe seems to be of narrowing goal posts towards SWFE climo.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-total_snow_10to1-9915200.thumb.png.8d895b101fc9dc1348aae9faee64752c.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Goal posts narrowing.  RT 2 north with the classic SWFE area of southern Greens to Center Harbor to all of western Maine from Rangley to Tamarack to Dryslot.  Don't care what the snow map says, Dryslot snows more than that shows.  It's got the feel of a large area of 3-6", with 4-8" for the climo swath... sharp gradient on the south side but 1-4" with sleet then rain.

The trick is finding out where the gradient is but the overall vibe seems to be of narrowing goal posts towards SWFE climo.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-total_snow_10to1-9915200.thumb.png.8d895b101fc9dc1348aae9faee64752c.png

Just looked at soundings, Something going on with the clown algorithm here, That was like 0.9"qpf and we were isotherm from the layers i could see., Looked like 6-8".

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Just looked at soundings, Something going on with the clown algorithm here, That was like 0.9"qpf and we were isotherm from the layers i could see.

Yeah usually by the time you get into NH/ME in that set up it’s pretty universal snowfall… not a lot of variation. Very little mesoscale variation with a slug of warm air advection.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s my guess too. Lots of 3-6 and 4-8 stuff. Maybe a narrow area gets more. Could see nrn ORH doing ok as sometimes erly flow cools 850 a bit over those hills. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah usually by the time you get into NH/ME in that set up it’s pretty universal snowfall… not a lot of variation. Very little mesoscale variation with a slug of warm air advection.

It will be uniform on totals too, When you look at a PNS after these, All the areas are usually separated by a few tenths, Its generally S or S+ for a 6-9 hr period of 1-2"/hr rates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

New England weather is boring AF. Give me a break with the “harsh” New England weather nonsense. We have no severe, no canes, and ok some snow. Big deal compared to what these other places get. I know there is the one in 20 year cane and some nor’easters......but we have it easy when you think of it. 

CA has it easy too mostly save the occasional  72” at Lake Tahoe storm or 7.0 earthquake lol

Meh for Westborough

Saturday
A chance of snow before 10am, then snow, possibly mixed with rain. High near 35. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow before 4am, then a chance of snow between 4am and 5am. Low around 30. Light and variable wind becoming north around 6 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

They get the blizzards but typically not the accumulations we get.  I'll take the heavy accumulations.

Brian/Pit2/You look to be in a great place for this first taste of winter.

Yes, their blizzards are 3-6/4-8/5-10 inch snowstorms, with 60-70 mph winds blowing the snow into oblivion.  

Definitely take the big snowstorm blizzards that we do here, over that insanity. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

New England weather is boring AF. Give me a break with the “harsh” New England weather nonsense. We have no severe, no canes, and ok some snow. Big deal compared to what these other places get. I know there is the one in 20 year cane and some nor’easters......but we have it easy when you think of it. 

Just the way I like it.  Give me snow...keep the property loss.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, their blizzards are 3-6/4-8/5-10 inch snowstorms, with 60-70 mph winds blowing the snow into oblivion.  

Definitely take the big snowstorm blizzards that we do here, over that insanity. 

As a wind weenie, I think I’d take that once a year lol.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Coastal CA, like the bay area San Fran, LA or pretty much anywhere outside of the mountains has the most boring weather on the planet. It's like groundhog day all year round. If you're into weather or a met that lives there you probably want to poke your eyes out with knitting needle.

Not true.  While living in LA I experienced a tornado, numerous winter tstorms, torrential rain, 110+ heat, earthquakes, dense fog, hail, smoke from fires, and snow a 90 minute drive away.  And always reliably great wx in summer.  

• Like 1