Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I think you're misinterpreting what he said. He's not canceling winter, go back and read all of his posts. What he saying is the pattern is not giving him the warm and fuzzies that everyone thinks it's going to be. I guarantee you he wants to have a snowy and epic pattern as much as you or everyone else. Come on guys, read between the lines. Get your panties out of a bunch LOL no one's trying to pounce on a good morning

woosh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I think you're misinterpreting what he said. He's not canceling winter, go back and read all of his posts. What he saying is the pattern is not giving him the warm and fuzzies that everyone thinks it's going to be. I guarantee you he wants to have a snowy and epic pattern as much as you or everyone else. Come on guys, read between the lines. Get your panties out of a bunch LOL no one's trying to pounce on a good morning

I am 100% messing with him. 

• Like 1

I'll illustrate. Maybe we are talking past each other and this is also just for the next two weeks or so. I think I feel better having this role into January. Anyways, I feel like I want to see these features more east for something more epic. Get that cold, but also the baroclinic zone a bit to the east. We do have that Greenland ridge and confluence east of us, but it may not force everything under us. It also may be a little on the drier side with that type of flow over us..but again that is a mean and doesn't show daily details.  We will have some chances I think...just not sold on the epic look, which for whatever reason caused angst. 

image.png.61f8168934472f3eeb7a8e302dda819b.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe I’m the contrarian, but I don’t get the warm and fuzzies that others get in this pattern. It’s most certainly better than what we have had, but a few things where I’m like eh.

The -PNA is massive. While that could be used to help throw out s/w’s, it’s gonna want to send things north too. 
So that’s where the -NAO helps. That should help keep things more south, but I’m not sold on that being a lock if we get a stronger system. It’s also not a cold look overall. Maybe we get a little BN in temps at times, but I wouldn’t mind it a little colder.

The other thing is the zonal look on the mean. I know it’s a mean and won’t capture individual events, but it’s rather zonal so we may see a lot of small deals which is fine I guess?  
Maybe it’s me, but I don’t have the excitement as some do. 

That's probably my fault for mentioning 2010-2011....all I meant was that this is the type of pattern that we had that season. However, Will mentioned the differences, mainly being that the RNA is immense this year, and perhaps the NAO doesn't make it as far west. Anyway, I clearly stated not to expect 60" in a month.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing changed. Given what we have now, anything is good lol. I just see some stuff that makes me not sold on an epic look. I explained above regarding next two weeks. 

The majority of our snowfall comes in patterns that are not epic, as those type of patterns are anomalous for a reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The majority of our snowfall comes in patterns that are not epic, as those type of patterns are anomalous for a reason.

Yep...I sort of hinted at that. I'm not looking for a KU look either....but there are some things that make me a little reserved that's all. I have a feeling people have their hopes a little too high. 

1 hour ago, 512high said:

I "think" what people are upset about is you stated, maybe a week ago, you like the look AFTER Christmas......I think even Ray's "early" call yesterday was based on data at that moment, it seems 72 hours out or so, everything just goes down the shi**er quick, just my two cents

I tried to incorporate a range of possibilities with the ranges in that First Call map..the idea is to hone in more for the Final one. But if I'm being honest with myself, I felt it was too aggressive right after I released it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep...I sort of hinted at that. I'm not looking for a KU look either....but there are some things that make me a little reserved that's all. I have a feeling people have their hopes a little too high. 

I actually went out of my way to state in that write up that a KU magnitude event was not expected in December, but there was a modest shot in early January. This looks like a snowy pattern to me, but that doesn't have to mean a 12/23/97 or 12/14/92 deal.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That pattern is like a carbon copy of Dec 1970....obviously it can produce....but similar patterns (like Jan 1969) also show you how you get kind of skunked.

Even epic patterns can shit the bed.....you just can't lock anything.

BTW, Feb 1969 shows you how it usually evens out lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I actually went out of my way to state in that write up that a KU magnitude event was not expected in December, but there was a modest shot in early January. This looks like a snowy pattern to me, but that doesn't have to mean a 12/23/97 or 12/14/92 deal.

It's KU or bust for many people 

Nothing wrong with a few inches

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Even epic patterns can shit the bed.....you just can't lock anything.

BTW, Feb 1969 shows you how it usually evens out lol

At the end of the day, people will measure the pattern in snowfall. Not potential. We all know this. We've gotten skunked in good patterns in the past with meltdowns and then all of the sudden we get hit and all the melts get relegated to a wall of shame satire archive (see late January 2013/earl Feb 2013 before the blizzard showed up....or early/mid Jan 2015 before the snow started).

Doesn't mean we get an epic stretch...people shouldn't expect it. But I feel pretty good about an active stretch with plenty of chances going forward....and some of those are going to hit.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll illustrate. Maybe we are talking past each other and this is also just for the next two weeks or so. I think I feel better having this role into January. Anyways, I feel like I want to see these features more east for something more epic. Get that cold, but also the baroclinic zone a bit to the east. We do have that Greenland ridge and confluence east of us, but it may not force everything under us. It also may be a little on the drier side with that type of flow over us..but again that is a mean and doesn't show daily details.  We will have some chances I think...just not sold on the epic look, which for whatever reason caused angst. 

Apps runner?  Asking for a friend...

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I see what you mean about everything being a bit too far to the east when looping ensembles....