Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not true.

Huh? How so? i lived in the bay area, there is no interesting weather there. There's no severe weather at all. No canes or tropical systems. It never snows there. It's pretty much the same temperature all year long besides an occasional dry heat wave. Unless you're into rain storms in the fall/winter or maybe an earthquake, which isn't technically weather, I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

I visited Mammoth Mountain for late Spring skiing June 6-9th of 2006. This was after a record snowfall Winter with 578" which has since been broken.

Mammoth parking lot April and June of 2006. Sonora Pass, lower mountain base depth, Mammoth Mountain. 

Mammoth Mountain is one of the most Isolated major resorts in the United States.  This is because the only way to Mammoth Mountain in the Winter is via 395 from LA. All southern Sierra Mountain passes are closed. Or the long way via Lake Tahoe. 

recordbreaker011.jpg.55fbd4fc8d854fdda3872e5c43854da9.jpg

SnowPile.jpg

SonoraPass.jpg

Basedepth.jpg

C.jpg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Coastal CA, like the bay area San Fran, LA or pretty much anywhere outside of the mountains has the most boring weather on the planet. It's like groundhog day all year round. If you're into weather or a met that lives there you probably want to poke your eyes out with knitting needle.

But we got people in here saying New England weather is boring AF lol……I grew up in the Bay Area…..in 32 years there I saw some pretty extreme El Niño events…..1984ish? New Years 1997 was epic……but I hear ya…..the frequency of extreme is only slightly higher here in New England than there I’d say though…..after being here for 17 years……

8 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Huh? How so? i lived in the bay area, there is no interesting weather there. There's no severe weather at all. No canes or tropical systems. It never snows there. It's pretty much the same temperature all year long besides an occasional dry heat wave. Unless you're into rain storms in the fall/winter or maybe an earthquake, which isn't technically weather, I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

See my edited post which I think you quoted before the edit.  Heck, even honoring Willie McCovey at Dodger Stadium was rained out due to a tropical storm in August .

11 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I visited Mammoth Mountain for late Spring skiing June 6-9th of 2006. This was after a record snowfall Winter with 578" which has since been broken.

Mammoth parking lot April and June of 2006. Sonora Pass and lower mountain base depth. 

Mammoth Mountain is one of the most Isolated major resorts in the United States.  This is because the only way to Mammoth Mountain in the Winter is via 395 from LA. All southern Sierra Mountain passes are closed. Or the long way via Lake Tahoe. 

recordbreaker011.jpg.55fbd4fc8d854fdda3872e5c43854da9.jpg

SnowPile.jpg

SonoraPass.jpg

Basedepth.jpg

Correct…..in late 90’s I made a trip to mammoth from the Bay Area in peak season and we had to drive into Tahoe to get to 395 south through Carson city to get there…..it was a hellish drive but cool in the high dessert setting…..the snowboarding was epic

also later in the 90’s I made a trip there on July 3 and will never forget riding in 85 degrees sharing the slopes with hikers and mountain bikers….that was surreal 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not true.  While living in LA I experienced a tornado, numerous winter tstorms, torrential rain, 110+ heat, earthquakes, dense fog, hail, smoke from fires, and snow a 90 minute drive away.  And always reliably great wx in summer.  

Ya the perception is CA weather is boring but the reality is the normal weather is really what’s boring compared to normal New England or whatever…..the extreme stuff comes often enough - see what just happened at Lake Tahoe Monday and Tuesday…..insane…..or the rain put down isn’t the Bay Area…..and the earthquakes lol

so, looking like we'll be relocating to North Georgia in the near future, gonna definitely miss the winter here, but as far as boring weather goes, minus the cane and tropical season, florida has some of the most boring predictable weather I've seen outside of San Diego, one can set a watch by it.

15 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Correct…..in late 90’s I made a trip to mammoth from the Bay Area in peak season and we had to drive into Tahoe to get to 395 south through Carson city to get there…..it was a hellish drive but cool in the high dessert setting…..the snowboarding was epic

also later in the 90’s I made a trip there on July 3 and will never forget riding in 85 degrees sharing the slopes with hikers and mountain bikers….that was surreal 

We came into California from Las Vegas. I wanted to take my son to Yosemite Park but Tuolumne Pass was closed. Because of this,  we had to take Sonora Pass into the central valley, Yosemite and return. 

For me the greatest one day temperature difference is at Mammoth Mountain and going back to Las Vegas via Death Valley.  28F at Mammoth and 113F in Death Valley. 

3 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

We came into California from Las Vegas. I wanted to take my son to Yosemite Park but Tuolumne Pass was closed. Because of this,  we had to take Sonora Pass into the central valley, Yosemite and return. 

For me the greatest one day temperature difference is at Mammoth Mountain and going back to Las Vegas via Death Valley.  28F at Mammoth and 113F in Death Valley. 

Epic……

40 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

so, looking like we'll be relocating to North Georgia in the near future, gonna definitely miss the winter here, but as far as boring weather goes, minus the cane and tropical season, florida has some of the most boring predictable weather I've seen outside of San Diego, one can set a watch by it.

That’s unfortunate. NGA is strange. Beautiful area though. 

Maybe I’m the contrarian, but I don’t get the warm and fuzzies that others get in this pattern. It’s most certainly better than what we have had, but a few things where I’m like eh.

The -PNA is massive. While that could be used to help throw out s/w’s, it’s gonna want to send things north too. 
So that’s where the -NAO helps. That should help keep things more south, but I’m not sold on that being a lock if we get a stronger system. It’s also not a cold look overall. Maybe we get a little BN in temps at times, but I wouldn’t mind it a little colder.

The other thing is the zonal look on the mean. I know it’s a mean and won’t capture individual events, but it’s rather zonal so we may see a lot of small deals which is fine I guess?  
Maybe it’s me, but I don’t have the excitement as some do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe I’m the contrarian, but I don’t get the warm and fuzzies that others get in this pattern. It’s most certainly better than what we have had, but a few things where I’m like eh.

The -PNA is massive. While that could be used to help throw out s/w’s, it’s gonna want to send things north too. 
So that’s where the -NAO helps. That should help keep things more south, but I’m not sold on that being a lock if we get a stronger system. It’s also not a cold look overall. Maybe we get a little BN in temps at times, but I wouldn’t mind it a little colder.

The other thing is the zonal look on the mean. I know it’s a mean and won’t capture individual events, but it’s rather zonal so we may see a lot of small deals which is fine I guess?  
Maybe it’s me, but I don’t have the excitement as some do. 

630am dropping a deuce in everyone’s breakfast 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because the 2010-2011 stuff.....let’s pump the brakes on that. It’s an ok look. 

Wow…well that went bad quick. Yesterday and Tuesday it was all wow how what a great pattern is shaping up and looks to be on the way(obviously no guarantees with any pattern we all get that, or should), but now today your sh*tting in the punch bowl. Thanks pal..appreciate the cheer. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Wow…well that went bad quick. Yesterday and Tuesday it was all wow how what a great pattern is shaping up and looks to be on the way(obviously no guarantees with any pattern), now today your sh*tting in the punch bowl. Thanks pal..appreciate the cheer. 

I guess it’s how you read it. I didn’t say it sucked. It’s ok. You can still do well in an ok look. I’m just not giddy about it.