Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,111
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Elarey7
    Newest Member
    Elarey7
    Joined

December 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread


North Balti Zen
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s exactly the way to get a good storm in early December. IIRC that’s pretty much how we got Dec 5, 2009

10 days out so likely fantasy.

Seeing some agreement for a +PNA in this time frame. Cold air possibly available, but as always will need timing between two waves to get the job done. For example, on the 18z GFS you see how the trough kind of elongates where the lead wave lays the cold air down and the back end of the trough digs and turns the corner...something like that. Euro is an example of what wouldn't work where you just get one really strong low out of the trough at 240 hrs.  Something to keep an eye on because there isn't much potential until then 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Wentz said, that transitory +PNA is key.  Ops are jumping around with it's placement but the signal is there for a ridge to pop.  Ens are showing it as well but are just a little washed...plenty of uncertainty on placement, strength and orientation.

Some interesting ingredients are there.  Plenty of Arctic air ready to be tapped just prior to any ridging going up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GFS…. Toss the 6Z.   Week of December 6 still needs to be watched.  

Think we can say the period needs to be watched without tossing random OP runs, haha.

The GEFS are definitely active from the 5th-8th. Hopefully there is something fun in that period. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think we can say the period needs to be watched without tossing random OP runs, haha.

The GEFS are definitely active from the 5th-8th. Hopefully there is something fun in that period. 

This is about all that can be said at this juncture. Lots of intricate wave interaction/timing, and not exactly a classic h5 look on the means for lowland snow at the beginning of December. Sometimes it can all fall into place though with a well timed PNA ridge and all the shortwaves end up in the right places with the required spacing.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current GFS running shows something different with regards to the mean longwave pattern across the Conus. Earlier this week, we saw a greater wave pattern with a strongly meridional component to the flow aloft. Now we see a more zonal pattern with lowering heights from 60N down to 40N, but minimal undulations to cause a distinct pattern for synoptic development. It's a bit interesting considering the total 180 done from even just 3 days ago. Regardless, the colder outlook is promising for the long term with brief warm ups intermittently thrown into the mix on the lead side of progressive s/w's ripping through the flow. Want to see a greater involvement of these s/w's dropping further south to provide more ascent south of the Mason Dixon, but this was a potential with the December pattern given analogs, so we'll see. I still like the second half of winter for the east coast with regards to snow and increasing baroclinicity east of the Apps, so all is not lost. I'll be stopping by when something looks more formidable. The disturbance for Sunday looks to be a little too far north to give any appreciable flakes outside the northern reaches of the sub, and even then, mainly mood flakes. 

Have a great day y'all!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Current GFS running shows something different with regards to the mean longwave pattern across the Conus. Earlier this week, we saw a greater wave pattern with a strongly meridional component to the flow aloft. Now we see a more zonal pattern with lowering heights from 60N down to 40N, but minimal undulations to cause a distinct pattern for synoptic development. It's a bit interesting considering the total 180 done from even just 3 days ago. Regardless, the colder outlook is promising for the long term with brief warm ups intermittently thrown into the mix on the lead side of progressive s/w's ripping through the flow. Want to see a greater involvement of these s/w's dropping further south to provide more ascent south of the Mason Dixon, but this was a potential with the December pattern given analogs, so we'll see. I still like the second half of winter for the east coast with regards to snow and increasing baroclinicity east of the Apps, so all is not lost. I'll be stopping by when something looks more formidable. The disturbance for Sunday looks to be a little too far north to give any appreciable flakes outside the northern reaches of the sub, and even then, mainly mood flakes. 

Have a great day y'all!

Thinking similar regarding Dec and the greater chances later in winter. In my outlook I noted the strong anchored TPV, the progressive and fast PJ (Nina) and the NAO/AO as our key players this year. Also noted the record PDO which will play a role especially as we move ahead. I was on the fence with BN snowfall and much above (went with BN for my region) because based on what we see right now and historical given a Nina, makes sense to err on the BN side. But what was keeping me on the fence was the hangover neg NAO and AO from last winter and also was a background state this fall. I was thinking if those 2 tellies play nice, we could easily jump into the AN category....it won't take an historic blocking episode. Just periodically work in tandem to push this active PJ under our regions and we are gold. However, we are seeing those favorable tellies fade fast, and I'm not so sure they will be a background state or even show themselves again until after Christmas. Personally, not a huge fan of what I am seeing moving a couple weeks into Dec but this was also expected to a degree. 

Eta: we probably won't 'torch' this year with +20 AN temps for stretches,  but most of us will likely be pulling our hair out for periods and grow tired as the flow is fast and mid 40s to low 50s become common with the bulk of wintry weather farther N. We will get our shots, but this is probably going to require patience to the nth degree this winter.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Was about to say...it fits! Lol Tbh I'm not convinced the strat warm really does anything...I mean, has it in the past?

It does "something", depending on the suddenness and the magnitude of the warming, but the actual impacts and locations of such are pretty unpredictable. It is something weather dweebs mostly pay attention to when the winter has sucked badly and time is running short, or the advertised pattern is otherwise boring af and not conducive to cold and snow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It does "something", depending on the suddenness and the magnitude of the warming, but the actual impacts and locations of such are pretty unpredictable. It is something weather dweebs mostly pay attention to when the winter has sucked badly and time is running short, or the advertised pattern is otherwise boring af and not conducive to cold and snow.

Usually it grasping at straws or a hell Mary so to  speak lol. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mappy unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...