• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

The GEFS has the NS energy digging south just as (what's left of) the southern shortwave reaches the coast of NC- where the baroclinic boundary lies as modeled. So it is captured but the coastal low develops a bit too late for the MA, and typical of a Nina, is good for points further NE. The op run was doing this a few runs ago with a much sharper NS shortwave, but has since backed off. The takeaway is we still cant know.

1640077200-U0ly36WAYEk.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The GEFS has the NS energy digging south just as (what's left of) the southern shortwave reaches the coast of NC- where the baroclinic boundary lies as modeled. So it is captured but the coastal low develops a bit too late for the MA, and typical of a Nina, is good for points further NE. The op run was doing this a few runs ago with a much sharper NS shortwave, but has since backed off. The takeaway is we still cant know.

1640077200-U0ly36WAYEk.png

That PJ energy on the means continues to stay farther separated from the STJ. Pretty sure we are slipping away from a phase on the ens and more towards a weak southern slider.

At least we have the EPS Christmas eve miracle threat.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

no

You are big mad because a 7 or 8 day phantom may or may not be there and emotionally want to handle your disappointment by being excited to be the first to say "SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS A PHANTOM"

Be better than this.  Post better. Read more. Etc. 

LOL. Not what I meant at all. Do not take t personally and I could give a rip if I am wrong or first. The whole trend of the season is to overplay and show a lot of moisture in fronts and systems far out, only to squash them, suppress them, or dry them out. I see that on this "threat" as well. The trend seems to go from a system that could do something to a low that has inconsequential impact on us except a ton of wind and cold dry air. That is a trend we will fight all year with La Nina. I hope I am wrong, but this is not a good look. There was a good looking slug of moisture from a low showing on maps a couple days ago.. Now it is a small system disconnected from northern stream support. If it can't get that interaction, the southern stream will win and it does not have much to give this year. But you can get upset because it looks like that is the trend.. Which was not new with this run, or not believe it. That is uo to you.. But do not think you know my intentions. I reacted to you.. I responded to your comments. Anyways... I hope I am way wrong and maybe this is more model chaos than a trend.. But I meant no one anger or being upset by my response. 

6 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Its December 14. THERE IS NO TREND TO THE SEASON.

Stop. 

the hell there ain't.  The trend for my season is lots of egg nog.  As for the weather, the trend is for there to not be a trend that we can tell if there is a trend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

- NAO retrograde looks better today, but the Pac is still so so.  I feel we are never really going to see anything but a minor window of improvement on the Pac side during the course of the winter. Although there may be a favorable Pac transition in early Jan according to Roundy. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1639483200-1639699200-1640239200-10.gif.4508f34d935b9cd5afec20460cdae2ec.gif

11 minutes ago, frd said:

- NAO retrograde looks better today, but the Pac is still so so.  I feel we are never really going to see anything but a minor window of improvement on the Pac side during the course of the winter. Although there may be a favorable Pac transition in early Jan according to Roundy. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1639483200-1639699200-1640239200-10.gif.4508f34d935b9cd5afec20460cdae2ec.gif

IMO the key is for the pac ridge to stay poleward.  We do need NAO blocking to get much snow in a nina.  But if we really want to stack the deck we need the pac ridge to stay north and not become a flat mid latitude one like the last few years.  So long as the pac ridge stays encroaching into the EPO domain we don't need the NAO to be some raging beast like last year.  In mid winter a -EPO-NAO is a pretty cold pattern here.  Whatever the models might show now...that cold in western canada will press southeast under the blocking.    If we fail its more likely to be dry than warm imo.  We did manage to mostly fail in 2011 with that look...but we were so close so many times to that being a pretty good year.  1979 is an example of a -epo-nao working really well.  That was a enso neutral year though.  2013 and 2009 look similar in the means but the atlantic and pacific never worked in tandem.  As the atlantic improved the pacific ridge would shift south.  If we can get both the pacific ridge to stay poleward AND the nao to go negative at the same time I like our chances.  

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic