Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

13 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

3 pink 500mb anomaly peaks, 18z GFS ensemble mean: That's 582dm ridge in northern England, to start. 2nd image hits almost+600dm as an ensemble mean average, that's top 10-15 all time. 

1a.gif

1aa.gif

1b.gif

This is good stuff.  Maybe Jan produces.  But what’s in front of us now through the end of Dec is largely AN as it looks now.  On the GEFS our entire region barely gets below freezing even at night for the next 2.5 weeks.  We need to get through that then who knows.   psu is right why beat ourselves up.  We have no control. 

I wouldn't completely write off next week for a storm. Early next week is the beginning of a pattern change, and models tend to struggle a bit more with the stream interactions and associated disturbances. The lack of cold will be an issue should guidance grant us a 'new' storm threat leading up to Christmas .

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I wouldn't completely write off next week for a storm. Early next week is the beginning of a pattern change, and models tend to struggle a bit more with the stream interactions and associated disturbances. The lack of cold will be an issue should guidance grant us a 'new' storm threat leading up to Christmas .

Sure looks like the GFS is trying to bring that storm north, somewhat.

48 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The blocks gonna try to work its magic and there are hints that even though that first stj wave misses the connection to the NS the next NS SW might pull some sort of partial phase with the leftover stj energy. But even if all that happens then we might still end up left out if the cold retreats too much or the track isn’t perfect. It’s not no hope. But it’s complicated and we don’t do complicated usually so I tend to bet against it. Every once in a while these crazy setups do work out.  Someone with more faith than me should put in a prayer for a Christmas miracle. 

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The blocks gonna try to work its magic and there are hints that even though that first stj wave misses the connection to the NS the next NS SW might pull some sort of partial phase with the leftover stj energy. But even if all that happens then we might still end up left out if the cold retreats too much or the track isn’t perfect. It’s not no hope. But it’s complicated and we don’t do complicated usually so I tend to bet against it. Every once in a while these crazy setups do work out.  Someone with more faith than me should put in a prayer for a Christmas miracle. 

Latest runs of the GEFS are hinting at that for later next week. Odds would favor areas well north of here. Even when the GFS/GEFS was involving the SS wave with the previous digging piece of NS energy(which 'disappeared') for earlier next week, it looked to be largely too late for our area.

Rarely do high wind warnings verify here.  Even the advisories are fringed.  Last legit high impact wind event for us was March 02, 2018.  Boy what a mess that was!

Last Christmas eve we had legit tropical storm conditions for about 30 minutes.  I remember chasing 96 gallon trash bins down the lane after dinner.  Could not believe the sound of the rain beating on the door.  Last time I heard that was Irene!

10 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Rarely do high wind warnings verify here.  Even the advisories are fringed.  Last legit high impact wind event for us was March 02, 2018.  Boy what a mess that was!

Last Christmas eve we had legit tropical storm conditions for about 30 minutes.  I remember chasing 96 gallon trash bins down the lane after dinner.  Could not believe the sound of the rain beating on the door.  Last time I heard that was Irene!

There were more power outages from that even in Maryland than from Hurricane Sandy. Had that wind occurred during a full canopy, we would've probably rivaled the 2012 derecho.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

There were more power outages from that even in Maryland than from Hurricane Sandy. Had that wind occurred during a full canopy, we would've probably rivaled the 2012 derecho.

The Derecho didn't affect us at all.  We were on the northern fringe.  Which was fine by me!  Northern VA OTOH was a mess indeed.

Sandy also brought wind but we didn't lose power aside from some flickers.  Total number of outages in BGE territory similar to the Jan 26, 2011 "Carmageddon" event. (250K) Irene and Isabel seem to be the highest (outage) events with over 700K outages.

March 2018 was a very long event too.  Fortunately we just don't get widespread winds with full tree canopy.   Even so there is too much vegetation impingement in our area.

Cool discussion about past events in this thread.

So...how are we feeling about what the GEFS is laying down and sticking with at 500 starting a couple days before Christmas? What I like is that the can isn't getting kicked on this and that we're seeing a chance that some of that cold in Canada bleeds in our direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Cool discussion about past events in this thread.

So...how are we feeling about what the GEFS is laying down and sticking with at 500 starting a couple days before Christmas? What I like is that the can isn't getting kicked on this and that we're seeing a chance that some of that cold in Canada bleeds in our direction.

JB is quoting that it's the coldest 45 day in the past 20yrs if the GEFS is to be believed.  I have to believe some major cold is coming just to balance out the crazy warmth recently.  It seems difficult to me to run the table on warmth like this all winter.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, IronTy said:

JB is quoting that it's the coldest 45 day in the past 20yrs if the GEFS is to be believed.  I have to believe some major cold is coming just to balance out the crazy warmth recently.  It seems difficult to me to run the table on warmth like this all winter.  

If the EPO does cooperate and we get the blocking that's showing up on the ensembles, then I think we do get cold and our chances start shortly thereafter, which is when our general chances at frozen start to increase significantly in general.

While I realize that waiting a little bit for the pattern to favor us is much better than having it kick in earlier, I kinda wish we'd seen this like 10 days earlier so that we'd have a better shot at some white leading into Christmas...though I'm not going to complain about it if we do wait and it comes to fruition!

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Looking at the GEFS/GEFSX, our temps are average to a few degrees below average from the last few days of Dec through Jan 18 verbatim. I'll take that on a mean.

No JB weenie ass vodka cold showing up though.

the Op GFS was cold 12z for xmas eve through the end of the run...also dry

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looking at the GEFS/GEFSX, our temps are average to a few degrees below average from the last few days of Dec through Jan 18 verbatim. I'll take that on a mean.

No JB weenie ass vodka cold showing up though.

we just need some precip. who cares about vodka

• Weenie 1

• mappy unpinned this topic