Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Those spikes as long as they keep happening is a good cold seeder in Canada which is helpful.

December looks pretty nice here on the weeklies....lets hope they have a clue. Lots of cold up north and we're mostly in on it in New England.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We had flakes and graupel here this week on two different days. That’s not first snow. It’s been an awful awful last two months for fans of seasons in seasons 

I guess I’ll bite, lol… what months do you average the most snow? (Seasons when they are supposed to happen?)

To be honest flakes and graupel on two days in a week in the second week of November in CT sounds pretty close to seasons in seasons…

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I guess I’ll bite, lol… what months do you average the most snow? (Seasons when they are supposed to happen?)

To be honest flakes and graupel on two days in a week in the second week of November in CT sounds pretty close to seasons in seasons…

Not when the avg is a couple inches. We don’t fake slope so can’t make up for synoptic seasonal failure 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not when the avg is a couple inches. We don’t fake slope so can’t make up for synoptic seasonal failure 

I get it but if you go snowless in Oct/Nov how far behind average are you?  I mean up here I’ve seen anywhere from a 6-inch November on the mountain to a 60-inch November… and that’s just like the past 15 years.  It’s a highly variable month so it feels like seasons in seasons to be variable.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I get it but if you go snowless in Oct/Nov how far behind average are you?  I mean up here I’ve seen anywhere from a 6-inch November on the mountain to a 60-inch November… and that’s just like the past 15 years.  It’s a highly variable month so it feels like seasons in seasons to be variable.

Not far at all. I just was wondering last time we went snowless 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The November before I moved up here, I was so in awe of @alex and all the November snow he was posting about. He was skiing glades that November (2018) 

My past two winters up here have featured massive Grinch Storms that shut down cross country skiing and snow mobiling, and that closed the skit trails at BW that didn't get man-made snow...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

The November before I moved up here, I was so in awe of @alex and all the November snow he was posting about. He was skiing glades that November (2018) 

My past two winters up here have featured massive Grinch Storms that shut down cross country skiing and snow mobiling, and that closed the skit trails at BW that didn't get man-made snow...

Yeah 2018 is known as Snowvember in the ski industry.  That was obscene.  Only 40” or greater Mansfield depth on record in November.  Had like 60” cumulative that month on the hill, everything skiable, glades on Thanksgiving weekend, etc.

Thats by far more of an outlier than a November like this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Exactly, it’s a crapshoot everywhere in November…even up in northern N.E.   Some years it’s feast, and some years it’s…Not.  

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Paging @ORH_wxman….. I feel like we’ve been having decent luck with November lately but I 2006, 2011, 2015 come to mind as terrible.

2019 went snowless in both Oct/Nov here. I’m using “snowless” as a synonym for no measurable since Kevin said flakes don’t count. 

We had it happen in 2017 too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Got just about all of my raking done from 9am to 430pm...I wanted to do it a bit later in the seaso , but the weather was just too nice to pass up the chance. 

December should be fast and furious for NE.

Painful you spent all day for something that could be done in a half…but it’s good exercise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Painful you spent all day for something that could be done in a half…but it’s good exercise. 

Yea, the lady next to me paid to have it done...like 3 times the amount of leaves gone in like 90min. I choose to splurge in other areas and get the exercise...I'm not handy, so I take advantage of things like that, which I can do myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, the lady next to me paid to have it done...like 3 times the amount of leaves gone in like 90min. I choose to splurge in other areas and get the exercise...I'm not handy, so I take advantage of things like that, which I can do myself.

For sure. I never pay for leaves. Anything I can do, I need to…since the things that I can’t do (or I’m afraid to) like plumbing and complex electrical work cost big monies. But you can cut down the time spent, depending how big of a yard you have, with a backpack blower and a sweeper.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

For sure. I never pay for leaves. Anything I can do, I need to…since the things that I can’t do (or I’m afraid to) like plumbing and complex electrical work cost big monies. But you can cut down the time spent, depending how big of a yard you have, with a backpack blower and a sweeper.

I’ve learned to do a lot since I bought a home. You kind of have to, or you’ll be broke hiring people to do it. YouTube has saved me thousands of dollars 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, I need a backpack blower...I had one with a cord and I hardly used it...mostly raked.

33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ve learned to do a lot since I bought a home. You kind of have to, or you’ll be broke hiring people to do it. YouTube has saved me thousands of dollars 

Just fixed my drain pump on my dishwasher ($23) and heater blower fan in my Ranger ($45) thanks to youtube.

• Like 1

You guys are spoiled 

oct is not really a climo snow month in any perception, anecdotal or rational measure … when expanding back to 1980. 

… I don’t know if the last 15 years is quite yet enough to “count on“ snow and I certainly wouldn’t call it seasonal to have snow in October.  

Nov is only half over

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I need a backpack blower...I had one with a cord and I hardly used it...mostly raked.

I’ve moved away from loud, smelly, costly, and high maintenance outdoor equipment and have gone all battery. I have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-Whisper-Series-145-MPH-625-CFM-Cordless-Battery-Backpack-Leaf-Blower-with-5-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-RY40440/306706763

• Like 2