Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Low of 30.3 here. Finally, a good freeze.

Was it though ?

I think the definition/interpretation has been through the 'human definition adaptation mill' -

SO ... my contribution to the rumor canard is that it has to be 28 for three consecutive hours for a hard freeze. And a Freeze is < 32 but above that lower bound for 3 hours.  And a headline-able frost doesn't necessarily have to freeze. 

I could swear I read this when I was like 11 ... but maybe the 'official' definitions have changed over the years.  Or, what I read 387 years ago wasn't true to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Now if we can get the valley to get a ZR event while he’s 35 and rain, it will be complete. 

You already know this....but for those that don't:

Unfortunately very rare in New England....you almost need one of those "due south wind" type events where everything is eroding but someone like Chris up in Greenfield rots at 30F for several hours with ZR and a place like ORH is 40F. But usually those type of events are very transitory....the ZR changes to rain within a few hours.

The longer duration ZR events up here all require strong ageostrophic northerly flow and usually that means it's going to be strong through the lower 2000-2500 feet in the atmosphere, so we end up with higher elevations actually doing better until you reach like 2500-3000 feet or so when the temp starts rising again.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Should be at least 5', You may be getting heat coming off the roof.

Yeah..I may place on the opposite end of the roof anyway..and invest in a longer rod. I'm thinking this siting is really hurting my wind readings too. Max 25mph gust during the last storm when we were easily gusting over 75 or 80mph at times. 

The rain gauge is the only thing I can accurately use it for at the moment. It's been pretty spot on

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

23 was the low here on the hill. The radiator kings were out in force in their pits I see.

We didn't drop much here last night.  27F with the thickest freezing fog I've seen in a while.  All trees in the valley looked rimed up and frosty.  It was evident that the precipitation yesterday and wet snow lurking around and just up the hillsides we fogged out almost immediately last night.  It was weird but a very thick fog and inversion formed right at the accumulation line leftover from yesterday.

It's still pea soup down in town at 30F, while its bright sunshine up at 1,500ft ha.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unfortunately very rare in New England....you almost need one of those "due south wind" type events where everything is eroding but someone like Chris up in Greenfield rots at 30F for several hours with ZR and a place like ORH is 40F. But usually those type of events are very transitory....the ZR changes to rain within a few hours.

The longer duration ZR events up here all require strong ageostrophic northerly flow and usually that means it's going to be strong through the lower 2000-2500 feet in the atmosphere, so we end up with higher elevations actually doing better until you reach like 2500-3000 feet or so when the temp starts rising again.

It is rare. But when it does happen (and tends to if there is snow otg to help with the inversion) he loses it. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had a ZR event maybe Nov of 2003 or 2004; I remember leaving a friends house on MA/CT with light glaze while another friend with some elevation in Charlton had a decent glazing 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. I’ll take the elevation help with snow events . Frost and freezes are great , but the colder day time highs I prefer as well

It matters most in those events anyways. You think Lava Rock is losing sleep over Taunton being colder than him? Although maybe he is losing sleep over it? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

We had a ZR event maybe Nov of 2003 or 2004; I remember leaving a friends house on MA/CT with light glaze while another friend with some elevation in Charlton had a decent glazing 

Prob Nov 16, 2002. That was actually a pretty big ice storm for the elevations of N CT and far S MA. We had some ZR in ORH but a lot of sleet too so it wasn't as icy as just a bit south.