Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs. : TROPICAL STORM Henri

TalcottWx

10 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Most of western RI doesn’t have power.  boring for some terrible for others…

No kidding. Most of SK is out here. Trees down everywhere. But this board is very much like that, if it doesn't happen to them they don't give a bleep.

Luckily the surge was one non event I will gladly take every time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

No kidding. Most of SK is out here. Trees down everywhere. But this board is very much like that, if it doesn't happen to them they don't give a bleep.

I think we all knew srn RI was an issue. But as far as expectations go, this fell pretty short. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hard to not be IMBY centric when most of our passion for wx comes from experiencing it. It's just something to live with here. 

But on a global scale, winds fell short. Decaying TCs are like that. I thought the duration of the event would compensate for the weakening but it didn't in the wind category. Rain TBD for some areas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

The sad truth is…aren’t most people like this?  

Or they do care, but they are speaking from their experience, and making the only local observations they can. It's pretty easy to see that this event was on the lower end of the envelope of predictions, though still reasonably well forecast.

No one thinks there aren't some places with more severe impacts. The storm is just very very small, and the impacts from wind in particular are more limited than many forecasts. The drum is always beaten about not being obsessed with the exact point of landfall due to widespread effect. This makes sense before an event due to uncertainty. As it's unfolding though, it's clear that the western part of ri for instance had far far more damage than the entire east bay. We are talking a few miles.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

I regret that I have but one bleep to give for my country.

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Flooded NYC subways aside we really lucked out with this one. It had a shot to intensify yesterday too and never really did so. 

funny how some surprisingly intensify and some don't even though they're expected to.  Once this didn't get to 85-90Mph and coupled with the well east landfall (vs Central LI let's say) it was over for many as far as the wind threat.