Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, this has not been a hot summer at all.  Very mild.

thank the jet stream, its been considerably trough-y for us the last two months, so places out west get the big heat domes while we cooler than average temps. Our short stretches of heat/humidity is when the jet stream settles into a normal place, letting us get the Bermuda high cranking for us. But that's happened with much less frequency this summer 

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

... August is a pretty nice month here with the average high at DCA going from 88 to 84.

I don't think I can classify August as a nice month here.  I usually tell out-of-towners that July is the hottest, but August is the most miserable. (Maybe we're just sick of it by then).

(Of course, this brings up the question of what is a pretty nice month here? I dunno. But I do know that any month can get pretty crummy.)

1 hour ago, GramaxRefugee said:

I don't think I can classify August as a nice month here.  I usually tell out-of-towners that July is the hottest, but August is the most miserable. (Maybe we're just sick of it by then).

(Of course, this brings up the question of what is a pretty nice month here? I dunno. But I do know that any month can get pretty crummy.)

Late September through October gets my vote.

3 hours ago, mappy said:

thank the jet stream, its been considerably trough-y for us the last two months, so places out west get the big heat domes while we cooler than average temps. Our short stretches of heat/humidity is when the jet stream settles into a normal place, letting us get the Bermuda high cranking for us. But that's happened with much less frequency this summer 

I'm curious to see if there's a longer-term upper-level pattern shift that reflects what we've seen the last few winters and summers - *generally* ridge west, trough east in summer and trough west, ridge east in winter - which has had a somewhat moderating effect on these seasons.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'm curious to see if there's a longer-term upper-level pattern shift that reflects what we've seen the last few winters and summers - *generally* ridge west, trough east in summer and trough west, ridge east in winter - which has had a somewhat moderating effect on these seasons.

I am sure the data is out there somewhere. I wouldn't have a clue where to look for it though. 

17 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Yeah here too man!  DCA has only recorded 3 days of 95 or higher so far.  It's August 2 and my area woke up to a chilly 55 degrees and we are looking at highs in upper 70s to near 80 all week.

Wow 55 for a low! We'd find that very chilly! Today our dewpoint was 77 again and we got a total of 4.2 inches rain which brings us to a yearly total so far of 36.5 inches. This is unbelievable for us! Normal for this time of year might be about 19 inches.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:45 AM, CAPE said:

GFS thinks we are going to see some big heat. Mid to upper 90s Sunday through Thursday.

Rain chances between now and mid next week look pretty low too.

The probability of rain has certainly gone downhill just like the probabilities of snow in the winter.  Looks to be the most significant period coming up regarding the combo of dry and hot.   Hopefully a cool down later in August.  

40 minutes ago, frd said:

The probability of rain has certainly gone downhill just like the probabilities of snow in the winter.  Looks to be the most significant period coming up regarding the combo of dry and hot.   Hopefully a cool down later in August.  

I guess we're going to pay for the tolerable weather we've had. I'm sure we'll be blazing hot now through Oct. 

48 minutes ago, frd said:

Or the mid-range look could moderate.

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

First real rainy morning on the MD shore since July 23rd.  Now I am hoping the models are correct that my last day on the beach tomorrow clears out in time for one more swim.   Overall, it was great beach weather for my two weeks, and next week looks good as well.

We are in OCMD next week.  I feel fortunate with the way it's looking.  We used to go to the Atlantic Beach, NC area -- looks terrible down there this week!

• mappy unpinned this topic