• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

RSV has been going around at unusually high levels for this time of year.  There have been stories in the news about it.  Who knows what else is circulating.  If the viral interference thing happens, then perhaps covid overtakes it, but I don't think it would be accurate to assume that any possible symptom that anybody has right now is covid.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

RSV has been going around at unusually high levels for this time of year.  There have been stories in the news about it.  Who knows what else is circulating.  If the viral interference thing happens, then perhaps covid overtakes it, but I don't think it would be accurate to assume that any possible symptom that anybody has right now is covid.

You are definitely someone I could see spending hours online hitting WebMD to find anything else to explain how your symptoms are not COVID.

5 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I saw an article where a 39 year old died.

His nickname was "Big Mike"

Unbelievable how linked this is with obesity.

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/07/30/i-should-have-gotten-damn-vaccine-father-5-dies-covid-age-39/

Nice little vaccine tidbit at the end. How fiancé and oldest child ran out to get it after they saw what happened to dad, who unsurprisingly given how sick he was, was unvaccinated.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Those papers are already outdated though.  I'm talking about recent data from Israel showing that people who were vaxxed in January only have 16% efficacy against symptomatic Covid.  If they were vaxxed in February, it was 47%; if it was in March, it was 67%, etc.  You get the picture - it clearly shows waning immunity after a certain period of time.  The good news is that protection against serious disease doesn't wane as rapidly; it is still about 80% for those vaxxed in January, but even that is a drop from 98% or whatever it was.  I do think waning immunity in the elderly (since they got the shots first) will be an issue going into the fall and winter.

the CDC has been very sketchy lately.  Apart from their ridiculous new mask guidance from back in May (which I can write a novel about as to why that made no sense), they stopped tracking breakthrough infections, so we have to rely on data from Israel, Singapore, Iceland, UK, etc to understand how variants and time affect efficacy.  They also didn't declare delta a variant of concern until a full month after the rest of the world did.  Very odd.  That's why I think some chamber of commerce lobbying money was involved.  

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

BMI can be really flawed.  Many fit and low fat athletes would come in as obese.

Right. I have added substantial muscle mass to my body and find that BMI calculators are useless for me. 

I was 270 lbs. @ 6' 5" in 2015

I'm now 250 lbs. with about 25 lbs of more muscle.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Virtually everyone I know who tested positive for COVID had a runny nose and a week of no taste or smell. They described it as a cold, but with a week long lack of those two senses. A big meh for the most part.

Unless Delta lacks this profound effect on taste/smell, that would be the telltale between covid and cold.  The latter affects those senses somewhat due to plugged nose/sinuses but no one I know has had one that came anywhere close to total taste/smell loss.  My "summer" cold undoubtedly came from an all-day indoor meeting, masks on except for meals, on June 8.  On 6/10 I had a wicked sore throat, next day a deep chest cough and congestion, and day 3 a loud hacking dry cough.  By day 4 I was feeling pretty good but started into the 4-5 weeks of more frequent than usual dry cough that follows all my colds.  That meeting was the first such even I'd attended since early March of 2020 - no coincidence.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Unless Delta lacks this profound effect on taste/smell, that would be the telltale between covid and cold.  The latter affects those senses somewhat due to plugged nose/sinuses but no one I know has had one that came anywhere close to total taste/smell loss.  My "summer" cold undoubtedly came from an all-day indoor meeting, masks on except for meals, on June 8.  On 6/10 I had a wicked sore throat, next day a deep chest cough and congestion, and day 3 a loud hacking dry cough.  By day 4 I was feeling pretty good but started into the 4-5 weeks of more frequent than usual dry cough that follows all my colds.  That meeting was the first such even I'd attended since early March of 2020 - no coincidence.

I'm really hoping that more and more office work can shift to remote permanently. Between the advantages of reducing carbon emissions, less office buildings being needed and traffic.... these changes help out everyone. Let the people who have to drive to a physical location do so without being bogged down with traffic originating from people who don't need to be contributing to the congestion.

22 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Right. I have added substantial muscle mass to my body and find that BMI calculators are useless for me. 

I was 270 lbs. @ 6' 5" in 2015

I'm now 250 lbs. with about 25 lbs of more muscle.

My BMI hovers around 30.  I posted a pic of myself in OT and do I look like I'm borderline obese?  I don't think so.  Anybody with a high BMI number should definitely measure their waist and see how that checks out.  

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I did read that the loss of taste/smell seemed to be happening less frequently with delta.

Anecdotal:   I've never been a very big fan of the 'lost sense of smell and taste' metric as a definitive in this thing.  

While it is certainly true that a bout with this thing brings that with it...   my entire life, every time I've had a headcold since my childhood, I've experienced at a minimum some attenuation of those senses, if not total, for some transience. 

Too wit:  Rhino Virus, to which the head cold is attributed ... is in the caronavirus family - those in charge of disseminating information to the media, if perhaps the media itself, knew this all along - yes they f'ing did!   But no - don't tell the masses. Just leverage lost senses angle - it's disgusting.

So now ...  for the next 50 years and 2.5 generations of zeitgeist morphology, whenever any someone thinks their food boring it's off to COVID cause and guess what?  - be it direct or indirect connection, big pharma gets to make money.    This thing is a cash-cow societal engine now - LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I haven't been on here in awhile,  but my father has been sick and just passed away today. 

The memory of the man your father was Will remain enriched within you and all who loved him. In the generations to come that memory will be his greatest legacy. May you find peace. As always …

• Like 4