Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, PhineasC said:

It's indoor season there. 

But cases are rising no doubt. Delta is highly transmissible. Many Americans are infected right now, regardless of vaccination status. 

The wave will rise very high very fast but then wash out with a whimper, if we follow the pattern of other countries.

That's not exactly true. Are there breakthrough cases going on right now? Of course, the vaccines only tested at 95% effective. So when you see that breakthrough cases still show over 90% efficacy it's totally within the bounds of what we should expect. The VAST majority of infections right now are among the unvaccinated.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

That's not exactly true. Are there breakthrough cases going on right now? Of course, the vaccines only tested at 95% effective. So when you see that breakthrough cases still show over 90% efficacy it's totally within the bounds of what we should expect. The VAST majority of infections right now are among the unvaccinated.

Not in Provincetown, MA and not in the UK, either.

Data is starting to come out that the vaccinated are getting infected and can spread the virus at a fairly high rate with delta.

It's not a big deal for the vaccinated to get a very mild case that is barely symptomatic.

Beer

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not in Provincetown, MA and not in the UK, either.

Data is starting to come out that the vaccinated are getting infected and can spread the virus at a fairly high rate with delta.

It's not a big deal for the vaccinated to get a very mild case that is barely symptomatic.

I mean P-Town was an ideal case for COVID spread, and the vaccines worked like you would want them to by preventing severe cases and essentially letting that outbreak fizzle out after the initial case load. 

In the UK I see reporting that 60% of cases were unvaccinated, but the remaining 40% many of them had only one shot (because they prioritized more partial vaccinations) which we know reduces vaccine efficacy. 

I'm also not sure what data there is that vaccinated people are spreading delta at a "fairly high rate". I think data is mixed at best on that right now. I think it's fairly intuitive that a symptomatic vaccinated person could spread COVID, but there are still questions about how long they are contagious and how efficient they are at spreading it. There are likely more breakthrough infections than we think going on, but it's wild to believe that vaccinated individuals are driving even an equal amount of cases right now.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I mean P-Town was an ideal case for COVID spread, and the vaccines worked like you would want them to by preventing severe cases and essentially letting that outbreak fizzle out after the initial case load. 

In the UK I see reporting that 60% of cases were unvaccinated, but the remaining 40% many of them had only one shot (because they prioritized more partial vaccinations) which we know reduces vaccine efficacy. 

I'm also not sure what data there is that vaccinated people are spreading delta at a "fairly high rate". I think data is mixed at best on that right now. I think it's fairly intuitive that a symptomatic vaccinated person could spread COVID, but there are still questions about how long they are contagious and how efficient they are at spreading it. There are likely more breakthrough infections than we think going on, but it's wild to believe that vaccinated individuals are driving even an equal amount of cases right now.

I am not arguing the vaccinated are having serious cases. I am not one of "those guys" who claims the vaccine doesn't work. It's clearly still very effective at preventing serious complications and death. Later variants, we will have to see, but for now it still works very well. No debate there.

As for the spread issue, I would also agree that the vaccinated would intuitively spread the virus less than the unvaccinated.

But the narrative in May was essentially that the vaccinated could not spread the virus at all, hence they could suddenly take off their masks with zero restrictions, seemingly overnight. Now data is coming out that is changing the CDC position. The vaccinated can spread the virus. TBD on the degree to which that happens.

Vaccinated people need to chill and accept that they can catch delta, but it will most likely be very mild.

The idea that this whole deal is 99% the fault of the unvaccinated is total BS now, though. The casedemic stuff is being driven by the vaccinated now too.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I am not arguing the vaccinated are having serious cases. I am not one of "those guys" who claims the vaccine doesn't work. It's clearly still very effective at preventing serious complications and death. Later variants, we will have to see, but for now it still works very well. No debate there.

As for the spread issue, I would also agree that the vaccinated would intuitively spread the virus less than the unvaccinated.

But the narrative in May was essentially that the vaccinated could not spread the virus at all, hence they could suddenly take off their masks with zero restrictions, seemingly overnight. Now data is coming out that is changing the CDC position. The vaccinated can spread the virus. TBD on the degree to which that happens.

Vaccinated people need to chill and accept that they can catch delta, but it will most likely be very mild.

The idea that this whole deal is 99% the fault of the unvaccinated is total BS now, though. The casedemic stuff is being driven by the vaccinated now too.

Well science is rarely settled law. It shouldn't be surprising that guidance changes as more information becomes available. I personally operated under the assumption that if it was possible that I could catch COVID despite being vaccinated (I could be the lucky 5% or whatever) that I could also spread it to my kids, so I never stopped wearing my mask in indoor public settings. 

I do however think that the unvaccinated population is driving the majority of the caseload right now. The virus finds more "dead ends" in vaccinated people than viable infections, so I think it's a stretch to say they are drivers vs maybe being a piece of outbreaks. Maybe it burns itself out quickly like India but it could also be more like the UK that has kind of plateaued again.

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There was data from Florida last week that in Orange County 95+% of positive cases were unvaccinated.  I’m not sure I buy that completely 

I don't think that kind data makes any sense, just on it's face. Unvaccinated people are not getting tested routinely as a general rule. I know these people and they never got tested in the first place. You are only getting very serious cases from that cohort.

Clearly, the CDC has seen enough to spook them into updating the guidelines to say the vaccinated need to mask up. That was a big change from May and has caused a lot of drama so far. So they must have some data that has them "worried."

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think that kind data makes any sense, just on it's face. Unvaccinated people are not getting tested routinely as a general rule. I know these people and they never got tested in the first place. You are only getting very serious cases from that cohort.

Clearly, the CDC has seen enough to spook them into updating the guidelines to say the vaccinated need to mask up. That was a big change from May and has caused a lot of drama so far. So they must have some data that has them "worried."

McConnell looked spooked about a week ago. I’m certain that we’re not told everything. I’m supposed to travel for work next Sunday to Friday though…if some are in the know within the govt, it’s not down to my level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

McConnell looked spooked about a week ago. I’m certain that we’re not told everything. I’m supposed to travel for work next Sunday to Friday though…if some are in the know within the govt, it’s not down to my level. 

There are two competing narratives crashing into each other now:

1) The vaccines are extremely effective against these variants. If you get vaccinated, you will be safe from COVID and can go back to normal. The unvaccinated are the only people getting sick. (this is the old message from May)

2) Delta (and other variants to come) are very dangerous and even having the vaccine might not be enough to keep you safe. We need to go back to masks, distancing, and lockdowns to really end COVID and go back to normal. The vaccinated are having more cases and spreading the virus now so make sure you mask up.

It's no wonder people are riled up and confused.

The CDC messaging is poor for sure. They should just drive home the point that if you get delta as a vaccinated person, you’ll end up asymptotic or with a mild cold. If unvaccinated, you risk a worse outcome. If vaxxed people start dropping like flies (as in die)…hint, it will be in the nursing homes first…then the real panic will ensue IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I mean let’s be fair, we are all weather junkies and I’m addicted to looking at every model run all winter long.  If a hurricane is hitting we are all addicted to the drama of it.

Like Tip always talks about, we are sort of slaves to technology giving us information.  Weather, sports, news, whatever.  I know one up here who hates on the media for talking about COVID but then they’ll have 4 browsers open at work while eating lunch streaming FOX and CNN like they can’t get enough of it.  Humans love the drama.

I always say you can live in a local bubble very easily if you want to and totally tune out news.  Hell I feel like I wouldn’t know if half the United States just floated away into the Pacific unless it was mentioned on this forum or maybe the Red Sox broadcast mentioned it :lol:.

At my home office, I have two monitors for work, my phone beeping notifications and the iPad running the Olympics in the background. I’m not addicted to being connected with technology though. :whistle:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I’m pretty sure there was a lot more than Covid spread in P-town that weekend. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It's no wonder people are riled up and confused.

Americans need to go back to the time before 24/7 news, the constant need for drama, opinions galore at the fingertip.  We should turn it all off.  Go about your day.  You’d never know what was going on outside your bubble, which is all that really matters.

If you missed the morning news at 6am or the evening national news, you had no idea what was going on and “ignorance is bliss” has some positives.  You just lived.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just spent 8 days in Florida.  Had a great time . Covid was a distant memory:D.  Didn't worry 1 second about it . Judging others actions.  Neither did 99% of the public . Maybe saw 5 or 6 people with masks out of several  100s.  Life was normal and it felt great . My drive home ..once to Virginia on i95 the mask % went to 1 in 4 at least . Stopped near DC for gas and several peeps  masked in 7-11 .

This is an experience that covers a very large part of the nation.  Life is normal.

Even if someone else wants to wear a mask, who cares?  They’ve been doing it in Asia for a while.  Human evolution to keep protecting oneself.  They may have medical reasons for it too.

But if you don’t have to, it’s no different than them wearing a different kind of shirt.  You just go about your business and they go about theirs.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Absolutely...freedom to be responsible for yourself and do what YOU want to do . No skin off  my back.  That's America.  Just don't force it on me or my girls 

I couldnt agree more. Im willing to push back against restrictions. Whatever force is thrown at me this time around, I will throw it back.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What would that be though? We’ve seen delta go through other countries 

That its a virus that mutates indefinitely and will kill more people annually than flu.

And that it will take the world awhile......to come to terms with it.

8 hours ago, natedizel said:

That’s an issue for non gamers too. We use those gamer PCs with high capacity memory and graphics cards for artificial intelligence image analysis for cancer bio marker work. The commercial software we use requires that kind of power. The software we use is used in California too by several biotech and pharma companies including our San Diego office.