Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 Storm Obs/Discussion

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I should have went there to weenie out with my wife's family who lives there. :lol:  

Wasn't long duration, but would've been an awesome spot for today!

Axiom this season: whenever family visits from Philly area, Philly overperforms and Boston region vomits on itself. N=3. Added frustration that they get the impression New England winters are not much different from mid-Atlantic.

5 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Lol, that radar looks pretty putrid...

yea it does but it was supposed to. It will fill in parts over time, but you probably wont see a solid classic looking precip shield. The end of the 18Z HRRR does look interesting though for tomorrow night. Long range HRRR....but something well have to keep an eye again for SE sections.

18Z-20210218_HRRRNE_prec_ptype-1-48-10-100.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

yea it does but it was supposed to. It will fill in parts over time, but you probably wont see a solid classic looking precip shield. The end of the 18Z HRRR does look interesting though for tomorrow night. Long range HRRR....but something well have to keep an eye again for SE sections.

18Z-20210218_HRRRNE_prec_ptype-1-48-10-100.gif

The thing is.. no one had that band of 4-5” in CT. The main show was forecast to be tonight and tomorrow. I’ve seen people claiming (not you) that they forecast CT amounts in S CT correctly when they all said the main accumulations were tonight and tomorrow. Which they are still for most of the state 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The thing is.. no one had that band of 4-5” in CT. The main show was forecast to be tonight and tomorrow. I’ve seen people claiming (not you) that they forecast CT amounts in S CT correctly when they all said the main accumulations were tonight and tomorrow. Which they are still for most of the state 

Dude we all said srn ct needs to look out

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

How much for tomorrow....a foot plus?

I have no idea at this point, I learned today that my beliefs in how the atmosphere works was WRONG. The se ridge+polar vortex in Maine actually does the opposite of what I thought, it does not create a boundary for cyclogenesis, but it shreds storms.  Also we are in a fast flow pattern which makes bombogenesis more difficult to occur. La Niña also apparently doesn’t cool off the oceans like I thought, meteorology is complicated and not intuitive at all. My forecast could still be right, but if it is it will be because of the wrong reasons. I have a confession to make, I don’t really know anything whatsoever about meteorology, but I am trying to learn by making forecasts and when they bust doing a post Mortem to figure out where I went wrong. Regardless it was fun to track this storm and the post mortem analysis will be interesting.

One things that gives me hope though is often the bands push farther west than expected, which may help my forecast not turn into a total bust.