nj2va

Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Checking out my obs on the home weather station online, winds flipped to NE and temp dropped to 26. Looks like something trying to blossom on radar to our west?

Round deuce?

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'm about to start moving a bunch of stuff to banter.  I'm asking yall to try to get just into the obs from here on out. 

Unfortunately from here on out I don’t think there will be anymore OBS, looks like the only possibility is IBS. 

• Like 1

Just finished shoveling. About 6” of...stuff...We went from snow to sleet, back to snow and fished with sleet/zr. 

I would’ve preferred all snow simply because it was about as heavy as 12” with the sleet mixed in. 

Time sensitive, but check out the Base Velocity on LWX radar. Near the radar site, you have inbound returns to the north of the site, indicating N/NE flow. But if you look at the returns over Hagerstown, it's outbound, indicating southerly flow aloft. Not something you see every day in these parts.

klwx.PNG.18db3ff08fa19cdea067441323f1743a.PNG

• Like 3

Temp down from 29 to 27 in the last hour.  Have not ventured out to measure the sleet, but I would guesstimate around 1.5" of sleet.  I always set the mower down to 2" for the last mow in early December to help me measure :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, attml said:

We always over-achieve at under-achieving!

Hoping for some heavy FZDZ later.  Kinda wanted the iced trees. 

• Like 2

Went for not exactly a Jebwalk since it's sleet... but a lot of the secondary and tertiary roads in downtown CHO remain messy.

Not anything someone with experience couldn't handle easily, but compacted sleet with a frozen ground makes for something that's really stubborn to get rid of. It's a ghost town here.

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Watch the activity on the back end turn everything into an ice palace tonight and we somehow trip into an ice storm.

To be honest - seeing the ice up in the trees is always a cool sight. I know nobody wants the power outages and such and accidents...but that would be a cool "end" to the storm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Seems like temps came in under forecast for today. Not sure it means anything other than the fact that it ended up colder than thought

30 here. I was expecting to at least see 32.

Could always rise a bit overnight I suppose.

Not sure if this will end up being meaningful in any way but neither NAM or HRRR appears to have initialized with that band of precip in Tennessee. 

Edit: newest HRRR has it but it looks much weaker than it does in real life.

• Like 1

Just now, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Not sure if this will end up being meaningful in any way but neither NAM or HRRR appears to have initialized with that band of precip in Tennessee. 

It will probably dry up.  We never get that lucky.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The precip down in TN just seems to want to stay together. It might make it up to us tonight. 

Your beloved HRRR doesn’t think so.

Thats means we’ve got a chance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Edit: newest HRRR has it but it looks much weaker than it does in real life.

TWC claims that band is heading right for our area. 

Finished with 5.5" that compacted to below 5" by the time the last hour+ of sleet stopped. 

• Like 2

Just now, ravensrule said:

TWC claims that band is heading right for our area. 

They would know.  They have weather in their name.  I’m in.  Why not.  28

• Haha 3