Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

Just now, BullCityWx said:

One thing I've noticed in NAM extracted data is a lot of locations are getting down to 32. Little things like that can change the game with this thing.

Weirdly too, the 3K had slightly higher totals in areas where the 12k cut. I can’t recall too many times where I’ve seen that.

14 minutes ago, Looking to the skies said:

NWS in Atlanta aint impressed with  no Models or ensembles.....  They just issued a statement  1, 1.5 inches in the NE Mountains..... Nada anywhere else basically

CJ on WYFF4 is also unenthusiastic about the event.....which brings hope?  This is a Tough One To Call but as I say, heart break is for country music / I am ALL IN -  come on upstate of SC

• Like 3

Sadly, this is looking more like a fairly marginal event for most of us in this thread with maybe a couple of exceptions.  Anyone swallowing verbatim (or even half of) what the models are serving up is going to be disappointed on Sunday.  I hate to sound like Wildremann, but I’m going with what the professionals are forecasting.

When is the last time this board went into storm mode for a winter event that effected the southeastern subforum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Disc said:

It drives a sfc LP to Detroit. That, and it's the long range HRRR. It will begin to become useful this time tomorrow. 

That's always been my issue with the HRRR...by that time, the storm is right on top of you.  It's really like a model you would use in the summer AM to help predict aftn thunderstorms (not sure how good it is with that)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Disc said:

@Buddy1987 I think you're in a fantastic spot for this. The NAM was just about perfect. We get a 700mb FGEN band pivoting over us for hours. It would be a mauling as pictured.

namconus_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_39 (1).png

namconus_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_40 (1).png

The lift out of this alone would put crazy hourly rates down. Meatball aggregates just covering everything. You love to see this closer to game time. The fine details of the short range models picking up on enhanced banding structures. For me man these are the best setups for RNK office because they spring up and just demolish more often than not. Temps are borderline albeit I’m assuming wet bulb will benefit us.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Kind of what I alluded to last night where I thought the storm still had the ability to amp and or phase some more. Better potential for BOOM factor but also could take some out of the game.

Yeah thats the only down side to the BOOM. , is it might be better up this way but not good for most of the forum... maybe their can be a middle ground for everyone 

1 minute ago, BornAgain13 said:

Yeah thats the only down side to the BOOM. , is it might be better up this way but not good for most of the forum... maybe their can be a middle ground for everyone 

If the NAM's temp profiles are right, could be a raging sleet storm for many, even with some additional amplification (probably too cold but still) another issue with a more amplified storm in addition to WAA, is a dry slot south of the axis of heavy precip

28 minutes ago, griteater said:

That's always been my issue with the HRRR...by that time, the storm is right on top of you.  It's really like a model you would use in the summer AM to help predict aftn thunderstorms (not sure how good it is with that)

I generally use it in the summertime. It's good at picking up terrain induced afternoon thunderstorms, at least around here. And it's usually fairly spot on for initiation times. It also does okay with the finer details of smaller mesoscale components in a snow storm, but 6 hours out lead time, not sure who that benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mercurydime said:

I'm going to have to make up my mind soon on whether to try and go to WNCW in Spindale Saturday afternoon for my airshift that night, or to cut it here in the studio.  I don't want to be driving back up my road to the house early Sunday morning in this potential weather.  

My favorite radio station. Happy you guys got your transmitter problem fixed.  Signal is still a bit sketchy in the Statesville NC area

• Like 2