• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

Front end thumps usually work out here. I’ll add that by the time we have questionable 850mb temps late tomorrow evening it doesn’t matter Bc the precip has moved out. This looks like a quick hitting dump that’ll drop 3-5 inches across the upstate from 3pm-7pm Saturday.  I don’t see any mixing coming in to the picture until rates slack off and the dry slot moves in around midnight.

I feel good about at least 5 inches here after pouring over the data. Let the record show the biggest snowstorm of my lifetime was only 5.75 inches from the January 2011 storm. 

what could go wrong? Only thing I see at this point is rates not materializing like depicted which we need to cool the boundary layer tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I feel good about at least 5 inches here after pouring over the data. Let the record show the biggest snowstorm of my lifetime was only 5.75 inches from the January 2011 storm. 

what could go wrong? Only thing I see at this point is rates not materializing like depicted which we need to cool the boundary layer tomorrow afternoon.

I don't know about that to be honest. These 10:1 maps can't be trusted. Maybe 1-2 inches if the stars align. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, burrel2 said:

I’m not basing my thoughts off clown maps. 

Time will tell. I feel good about seeing something. Just not sure on amounts yet. GSP still says rain along and south of 85 in their latest discussion but did state small changes could lead to a bigger storm. 6Z has those changes so we'll see where it trends.

56 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

I was wondering when you would show up. Better wake up Oconee too. :D Seems like our snow systems always come out of nowhere like this. 

Ive been watching this one for 3 days. Love the set up and potential. Unreal after the overnight models...hard to find a bad run anywhere...thats crazy the agreement on the 85 snow line! Ill be thrilled to get a covered ground tbh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lilj4425 said:

My local forecast shows rain and 35 on Saturday night rising into the mid 50’s on Sunday. :arrowhead: Do I believe the weather models or the National Weather Service? Should be a fun ride for Upstate SC late this weekend either way.

“Hey, it’s gonna snow bigly this weekend, guys!”

Meanwhile, at your regional NWS office...

image.gif.2b26eda704398bbadbc03763068ec748.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Morning fellas. Not gonna lie was nervous to wake up and check the overnight stuff. Was fearing a disaster with some weak pos on euro or 6z trending the wrong way. Pleasant surprise to see models converging on a nice setup for a good portion of the forum rather than just extreme nw areas. Here’s to a good day of model runs and winter storm watches with the afternoon package! 

• Like 6

From RAH’s forecast discussion this morning:

The big question remains if the precipitation will remain all liquid or
if some wintry precip will mix in toward daybreak Sunday. Lows are
expected to bottom out in the 32-36 degree range Saturday night,
which is cold enough for some snow, especially across the northern
and western Piedmont. Will keep mention of rain/snow mix in the
forecast, though as only a dusting to less than an inch of
accumulation would occur, no significant impacts are expected at
this time.

As much as it hurts down deep, I’ll defer to their good judgment.  :cry:

2 minutes ago, Waitingfor88 said:

GSP forecast discussion this am mentions “warm nose” three times... So skim past that all three times and focus on the part that mentions “possible accums even in the upstate”

keep hope alive! 

I m curious what the wording will be after they digest the full 06 model runs. 

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

That would be amazing for you folks in the Clemson area. Clemson/Anderson folks deserve a "win". Good luck!

• Like 1

The early January 2017 bust still looms large in everyone’s minds. Me and some met buddies who were gearing up for 6-12 to close out our last semester got a night of cold rain, and basically every office/media org had to put out some overwrought mea culpa on what they got wrong. My point is that bust still ignites a pretty visceral reaction and media/NWS will likely be ultra conservative in any setup that mirrors it. I mean, I don’t remember how this forum was but I can tell you the meteorology group chat I was in was absolutely melting down. So that event I believe still colors and frames a lot of expectations around here.

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

The early January 2017 bust still looms large in everyone’s minds. Me and some met buddies who were gearing up for 6-12 to close out our last semester got a night of cold rain, and basically every office/media org had to put out some overwrought mea culpa on what they got wrong. My point is that bust still ignites a pretty visceral reaction and media/NWS will likely be ultra conservative in any setup that mirrors it. I mean, I don’t remember how this forum was but I can tell you the meteorology group chat I was in was absolutely melting down. So that event I believe still colors and frames a lot of expectations around here.

My buddy got Married that Saturday AM in Mooresville but if I remember correct the HRRR starting firing warning shots about being warmer even right along 85 and especially points south around Lunch on Friday I wish I still had the screenshots from that one. We ended up between like 5-6” I believe but we’re forecasted 8-12” lol