• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

Pretty much draw a line from dry fork to hickory north and west is where I’d expect accumulation. Rate driven snows that can add up but won’t be a large area of heavy accumulation. I’d say a C-2” for that area with some pockets of 3-4.” NAM sleet profiles should have everyone’s attention as well. The upstate relies on a quick hitting front end thump and those are notoriously hard to predict. BL temps are not your friend nor is frozen event duration. 

1 minute ago, CentralNC said:

Too bad temps are so borderline, this would be a great storm.

That's been the wrinkle all season.  We haven't had "torch" temperatures, and we've been cold..  but we haven't been THAT cold.  Even the last storm that produced was borderline temp problems for most of central NC.  

I'll take a few days of torch if we snap back to crazy cold afterward...  That happened 2-3 years ago.  Let's see what happens next week.

• Like 1

One thing about this storm is wet bulb will not help. Dew points going in are too high. It will be purely a dynamic cooling situation. Without rates, you will not approach freezing, and snow will not stick. I think the northern piedmont and triad is in the game to see snow fall but I seriously doubt if anyone gets more than a dusting in this set up. No antecedent cold air, little evaporative cooling, warm nose quickly moves in. Not being a downer but that’s just how I see it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

Not that it matters, but I can't make sense of Raleigh's forecast. All rain before 4 am then rain/snow. It's totally backwards (although some models do show a bit of back-end snow)

Raleigh’s point forecasts until day of are about as useful as a bag of bricks in a lifeboat in terms of timing and specifics

• Haha 2

Just now, PantherJustin said:

I was feeling good in Iredell about 4hrs ago lol yea onto next week I guess. I guess we could hope for a lesser system that’s just not as strong to stop the NW Trend 

I wouldn't give up on this one just yet, but anything frozen to me right now will be a win. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr.Fabulous said:

My favorite radio station. Happy you guys got your transmitter problem fixed.  Signal is still a bit sketchy in the Statesville NC area

Winter time is hard on the broadcast transmitter site.  It's the highest such site in the eastern US...on Clingmans Peak, adjacent to Mt. Mitchell.  Thanks for supporting public radio.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

I was feeling good in Iredell about 4hrs ago lol yea onto next week I guess. I guess we could hope for a lesser system that’s just not as strong to stop the NW Trend 

I’m starting to think us South Iredell County folks are going to be on the outside of this one. Trends are not in our favor

• Like 1