• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

Obviously there isn't much hope in Raleigh on this one, but also overall the BL temps suck once again (above freezing). This would be another quickly melting paste job at best. I would say you can probably halve or even quarter the GFS output there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

The early January 2017 bust still looms large in everyone’s minds. Me and some met buddies who were gearing up for 6-12 to close out our last semester got a night of cold rain, and basically every office/media org had to put out some overwrought mea culpa on what they got wrong. My point is that bust still ignites a pretty visceral reaction and media/NWS will likely be ultra conservative in any setup that mirrors it. I mean, I don’t remember how this forum was but I can tell you the meteorology group chat I was in was absolutely melting down. So that event I believe still colors and frames a lot of expectations around here.

I remember that well. I was heading back to grad school in Winston-Salem but decided to stick around Chapel Hill because it looked like they'd be bullseyed. Whoops.

Anyway fingers crossed, the trends from the 6z guidance seemed to put the northern ATL burbs (in which I unfortunately live now) in play.

• Like 1

The surface is problematic... but guys, we aren’t talking about an isothermal sounding from 800mb on down. In fact... we’ve got a down right frigid sounding thanks to a nice insitu wedge. That boundary layer isn’t deep enough and the snow that’s falling will be traveling through cold enough air that we will quickly hit 32 once rates pick up, imo. 

3B81FCED-EEB9-4B04-AC42-7E730A3D241D.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Obviously there isn't much hope in Raleigh on this one, but also overall the BL temps suck once again (above freezing). This would be another quickly melting paste job at best. I would say you can probably halve or even quarter the GFS output there.

Agreed. I've come to appreciate the "positive snow depth change" map on the NAM 3K to give me a more realistic understanding of actual accumulations. Looking at the numbers this morning a quick dusting to half and inch seems likely for most. That's better than it was last night. I've never been a fan of an event that can't get to freezing or below at the surface. 

nam3km_asnowd_seus_56.png

• Like 1

I love these storms that just sort of pop up. When they do they trend better which is so much more fun than having to watch the 7 day storm fizzle lol

it is certainly looking pretty good for a lot of us to see some snow this weekend.  Obviously it would be better not to have a change over but a majority of the decent storms in this area usually do, esp with this type of set up. Even slashing the numbers by a half to a third still gives  ne ga a couple of inches. I just hope this one can hang in there 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

The surface is problematic... but guys, we aren’t talking about an isothermal sounding from 800mb on down. In fact... we’ve got a down right frigid sounding thanks to a nice insitu wedge. That boundary layer isn’t deep enough and the snow that’s falling will be traveling through cold enough air that we will quickly hit 32 once rates pick up, imo. 

Im just 33 up the road but rate looks great as shown on this run.

51 minutes ago, NEGa said:

I love these storms that just sort of pop up. When they do they trend better which is so much more fun than having to watch the 7 day storm fizzle lol

it is certainly looking pretty good for a lot of us to see some snow this weekend.  Obviously it would be better not to have a change over but a majority of the decent storms in this area usually do, esp with this type of set up. Even slashing the numbers by a half to a third still gives  ne ga a couple of inches. I just hope this one can hang in there 

Yeah it never seems to fail ours pop up on short notice. I agree it looks good for most, although down my way I'm on the razors edge as usual. It will come down to the elevated warm layer here. Gfs and euro aren't as aggressive with it as the nam and new 12z hrrr isn't either. I do expect to see flakes fall at least for a while..even if its just a mix. Gainesville to gsp probably will be the sweet spot (outside mountains)

I consider it all a bonus after the 4 to 5 inches I saw in gatlinburg earlier this week but unlike that snow, which was dry, this will be the big flake variety which would be nice. Believe it or not I even saw about a minute worth of sleet last evening around 630 while I was feeding the dog and it was 48 degrees. That is the second highest temp I've ever seen sleet before iirc. 

45 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

3B81FCED-EEB9-4B04-AC42-7E730A3D241D.png

Yep..if precip comes in just a couple of hours earlier too it will make a difference too...which has been the trend.. Although there is a fairly deep dry layer, some precip could reach the surface as early as 9 to 10 am up to 85. 

Forecast Sounding Data for 36.02,-79.02
NAM 42 hour valid 06Z 07 Feb 2021

Station: 36.02,-79.02
Latitude:   36.02
Longitude: -79.02
Elevation: 119.83
     Press    Height   Temp    Dewpt     Dir    Spd
M    1000.0      120  -9999.0 -9999.0   -9999  -9999
SFC   998.1      120      0.6     0.1      26      9
S     950.0      530     -1.0    -1.5      51     23
S     900.0      961     -2.3    -3.1      90     26
M     850.0     1414     -2.9    -3.4     125     37
S     800.0     1896     -0.2    -0.4     159     49
S     750.0     2416      0.8     0.6     191     61
M     700.0     2970     -0.0    -0.3     218     70
S     650.0     3561     -3.3    -3.6     234     70
S     600.0     4189     -7.3    -7.7     236     70
S     550.0     4862    -11.9   -12.3     232     77
M     500.0     5585    -16.5   -16.8     226     83
S     450.0     6367    -22.8   -23.7     226     91
M     400.0     7219    -28.9   -37.8     225     99
S     350.0     8164    -34.1   -55.6     224    103
M     300.0     9223    -42.9   -59.6     225    106
M     250.0    10428    -51.4   -65.7     230    110
M     200.0    11849    -58.0   -71.6     239    118
M     150.0    13657    -58.3   -80.9     244    121
M     100.0    16174    -63.9   -87.0     247     73
  • Like 1

Heavy snow discussion from WPC

...Southern Appalachians to the Northeast...
Days 2/3...

The aforementioned trough moving east across the southern Plains
Saturday will cross the far southern Appalachians Saturday night
and turn northeast up the front side of the main trough and off
the Northeastern Seaboard Sunday/Sunday night. Perhaps the 00Z
guidance has brought about a reasonable consensus solution with a
track over the southern Mid-Atlantic Sunday morning, with the
surface low pressure tracking along the Carolina Coast with
typical biases of a faster GFS solution and preference to the
similar 00Z ECMWF/NAM/UKMET. Going forward, the parent wave will
be in the CONUS raob network which will hopefully limit further
track shifts. While track is in better agreement, there is still