Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

4 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

If you want a good pay site, I think weathertap is probably still a solid one. O/T but it's too bad the NWS radar page update was fumbled so badly. We really could've had a nice page if they had just tapped in design experts in the private sector or just asked COD or other good pages from academia to share code to roughly mirror the good stuff they have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is the “NWS only provides data and not public weather products” policy still is effect?

I thought I read somewhere there is an actual law or statute saying the NWS can’t do things like make their own mobile app even!

Is the “NWS only provides data and not public weather products” policy still is effect?
I thought I read somewhere there is an actual law or statute saying the NWS can’t do things like make their own mobile app even!
We're not even supporting mobile.weather.gov anymore lol. It's silly that we can't have a free app, we're not competing with anyone and it wouldn't be hard to develop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

We're not even supporting mobile.weather.gov anymore lol. It's silly that we can't have a free app, we're not competing with anyone and it wouldn't be hard to develop.

We don’t need an app when we have the guy writing the AFD! ;-)

Great write up last night. Get some sleep and thanks for all the updates.

• Like 5

Classic government “to the cheapest bidder” style debacle. I can’t even get the damn map to load regardless of what device I am on. 

unrelated, but riding my 10.8” MBY call. 
In this case it wasn't even to cheapest bidder, we had a team that was working on it for years I believe. They were ready to roll out, had a comment/suggestion period where they were supposed to incorporate feedback from within the NWS, and from every comment I saw on an extensive employees facebook group post and also talking to the radar focal point at my office, they took literally none of the suggestions. If they had just gotten someone from academia with good web design experience, may have a much better page done over a weekend lol.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

<RANT>

Why do all of the online national and regional radar options suck balls? I just want to put radar on a full screen monitor in my office and watch today' progression in motion.

wunderground.com: Stops updating after about 5 minutes

weather.gov: Doesn't seem to work at all

weather.cod.edu: No full screen mode, doesn't seem to depict precip type.

</RANT>

Someone on here posted a link to this website, which is what I use (it's a NOAA site, BTW):

https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/

The RAP might not be terribly far off at 850 mb. My guess is it's probably holding onto >0C too long with north and eastward extent. Main issue though is the QPF, very clear dry outlier in the 00z-06z timeframe when our heaviest snow is forecast. We find that the RAP is best for trends up to 6 hours out, so it can certainly help with diagnosing the effects of the warm nose on p-type.

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

6" in Toledo final call.  Wild card for busting low is rare lake enhancement that the models have been hinting at.  

DTX has Detroit south to the border in an advisory for 2-6" for tonight/tomorrow. To me it looks like a long drawn out event because we will have the initial band of snow tmrw morning before it disintegrates then on Monday the eastern counties will have deform snow. We will definitely miss the brunt of the storm although our snow will likely be sugary/powdery and not wet.

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTX has Detroit south to the border in an advisory for 2-6" for tonight/tomorrow. To me it looks like a long drawn out event because we will have the initial band of snow tmrw morning before it disintegrates then on Monday the eastern counties will have deform snow. We will definitely miss the brunt of the storm although our snow will likely be sugary/powdery and not wet.

The SREF mean plumes have DTW at 6.3 inches 

South of there it’s 7-8 with many members showing above that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Repeat of every event this winter. Grinder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Indy:

A few interesting observations at 15Z...temperatures throughout the
mid Mississippi Valley and into western Illinois are generally
running a few degrees lower than the bulk of the CAMs had progged
for mid morning. This supports the concern many mets shared over the
last 24 hours or so that overall model guidance was attempting to
advect temperatures that were too warm too far north by late today.
Even now...the HRRR for example tries to bring temps near 40 up to
or just north of the I-70 corridor by 21Z which seemed far too
overzealous to begin with and in light of the current temp trends
looks that much more unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, CoachLB said:

Idk who he is. But he’s all in lol. 

image.png

That be me lol. I'm just going by model guidance. I'm absolutely shocked that NWS hasn't issued warnings.. blows my mind. The only reason to not is if theyre only going by their gut and not the models. Hell even iln map has 12-18 in coshocton county. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1