Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

3 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

image.thumb.png.72431b277d03c09995d6b0f74916fa43.png

I feel like I've made out like a bandit in Union county. Clock keeps ticking for most of the state.

Can you please share the link to this website. Ive seen these kinda days since warnings maps used for severe weather.  Something like 2000 days since a tornado watch in detroit i think lol. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

image.thumb.png.72431b277d03c09995d6b0f74916fa43.png

I feel like I've made out like a bandit in Union county. Clock keeps ticking for most of the state.

I’m in the clock keeps ticking range. 742 is also the number of days since we have seen 2.5” of snow at CVG in a 24 hour period.

I watch people complain on here about not getting as much snow as they want. I laugh and I think “you really have no idea, what a lack of snow is.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I’m in the clock keeps ticking range. 742 is also the number of days since we have seen 2.5” of snow at CVG in a 24 hour period.

I watch people complain on here about not getting as much snow as they want. I laugh and I think “you really have no idea, what a lack of snow is.”

To be fair, climate doesnt support snow and snowcover as much the further south you go towards cincinatti. But yea people need to put things in perspective before they complain about the lack of snow. I live 40 miles north of detroit and I don't think ive had more than 3 inches in a 24 hr period this winter, and it happened maybe once last winter in the early november snowstorm. Kinda rare this far north. The lack of big snows the past 3 winters is frustrating but it happens and we had a good run prior. Ive learned to be more happy for those that cash in on snow. Good karma.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

To be fair, climate doesnt support snow and snowcover as much the further south you go towards cincinatti. But yea people need to put things in perspective before they complain about the lack of snow. I live 40 miles north of detroit and I don't think ive had more than 3 inches in a 24 hr period this winter, and it happened maybe once last winter in the early november snowstorm. Kinda rare this far north. The lack of big snows the past 3 winters is frustrating but it happens and we had a good run prior. Ive learned to be more happy for those that cash in on snow. Good karma.

While that may be true, we are down on average winter snowfall by 8” right now. So, we didn’t get much of a winter last year and this year is worse than that.

I'm a bit bummed. My NWS forecast has 3-7.  Seems a bit low. SREF plumes for Gary are pointing to almost 10". The NAM versions are on the lower end of the spectrum.  
You should be higher than that now in the updated storm total. Your area looks good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As a special storm day deal, until I go to bed later this morning, if anyone has any LOT CWA specific snow forecast questions, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

The overnight forecast that I put together in collab with WPC and surrounding offices attempted to toe the line between playing it slightly conservative vs what potential higher end outcome could be and giving an idea of the areas where we think have the best chance to end up in the 8-9" range or even higher. Those are the areas in the 8-12" range on our snow map. Note that even though the snow map range is 8-12" I think the highest point amount I have anywhere is a bit over 9".

Enjoy the tracking today and I'll be up to enjoy the ++SN this evening!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RCNYILWX said:

Very appreciative of all your contributions, Rick, here and from the office. I'll be resting the day in prep for some long hours shoveling the wet stuff until I exhaust the beer and energy supplies, targeting midnight. It's been a few years since I've partied this hard. Drier event would be welcome tradeoff for higher totals. Will monitor obs for trends.

Capture.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

As a special storm day deal, until I go to bed later this morning, if anyone has any LOT CWA specific snow forecast questions, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

The overnight forecast that I put together in collab with WPC and surrounding offices attempted to toe the line between playing it slightly conservative vs what potential higher end outcome could be and giving an idea of the areas where we think have the best chance to end up in the 8-9" range or even higher. Those are the areas in the 8-12" range on our snow map. Note that even though the snow map range is 8-12" I think the highest point amount I have anywhere is a bit over 9".

This is great. Thanks. Great write up this AM btw. Unfortunately, alot the chi town crew burnt themselves out model watching until 4 am it seems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Can you please share the link to this website. Ive seen these kinda days since warnings maps used for severe weather.  Something like 2000 days since a tornado watch in detroit i think lol. Thanks.

It doesn't look like a Winter Storm Warning has been issued yet this season for DTX's CWA. In fact, the last one was issued back on 1/18/20.

phenomena:WS::significance:W::dpi:100.pn

39 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

They had mentioned in the forecast discussion concerns over heavier band rates making it as far north as northern tier counties. Would that be an issue here along with any mixing issues or is that more of a problem out towards I39 corridor?

They had mentioned in the forecast discussion concerns over heavier band rates making it as far north as northern tier counties. Would that be an issue here along with any mixing issues or is that more of a problem out towards I39 corridor?
I think your location should be okay (maybe NW McHenry an exception to that) and you'd also be in the trajectory for lake enhancement tomorrow. Regarding that part of the AFD, it's something we noted on some of the CAMs that the heaviest sim ref seems to hit a wall and those 35-40 dbz echoes don't get all the way north. With it so close I wouldn't want to bank on that actually happening but it's an item to watch.

Highest likelihood of being in that snow minima is out by Rockford, so Winnebago, Boone and Ogle. Western portion of Ogle and Lee look to have mixing issues through 5pm to as late as 7pm.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It doesn't look like a Winter Storm Warning has been issued yet this season for DTX's CWA. In fact, the last one was issued back on 1/18/20.

And I know for certain the drought has been even longer for Wayne County (not sure exactly how much longer though). 

phenomena:WS::significance:W::dpi:100.pn

1-18-20 was the last time we had a Winter Storm Warning here in Wayne County 

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?q=92

Here you go! There's a lot of things to play around with so enjoy.

• Like 1