Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

19 minutes ago, miamarsden8 said:

Reading through these forums, it's depressing moving from the Western Illinois University area, where we see at least some weenie number from time to time, to the Cincinnati metro area, where we're riding the line between 2 and 6 inches. Can we get a 20 mile south Euro shift? 

Doubtful, but I can hope.

I’d just be happy if the low would track from St Louis along 64. That should keep more of it snow for us and less threat of the WToD.

32 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Been watching that as well.  I doubt it will trend colder between now and start time

I'll trust the experts. But admitadly a little nervous

It was always going to warm up above freezing today. The wet bulb temperature is the one to watch. Once you get evaporational cooling from heavy precip falling into a dry air mass, the air temp will drop to the wet bulb temp. It's found on the SPC meso-analysis page under the Winter Weather tab.1804563461_ScreenShot2021-01-30at9_34_04AM.thumb.png.d62d3fc29cd5a31eb2698dd05f774885.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

<RANT>

Why do all of the online national and regional radar options suck balls? I just want to put radar on a full screen monitor in my office and watch today' progression in motion.

wunderground.com: Stops updating after about 5 minutes

weather.gov: Doesn't seem to work at all

weather.cod.edu: No full screen mode, doesn't seem to depict precip type.

</RANT>

• Like 1

Seeing the latest hi-res models, I don’t blame NWS for keeping the WSW to my west and south. But as a weenie I could make an argument for including South Bend. SREF mean plume here is over 6 inches. They even have a snowfall map that has South Bend getting 6-8. Either way, it’ll be a fun storm to watch evolve.

Why do all of the online national and regional radar options suck balls? I just want to put radar on a full screen monitor in my office and watch today' progression in motion.
wunderground.com: Stops updating after about 5 minutes
weather.gov: Doesn't seem to work at all
weather.cod.edu: No full screen mode, doesn't seem to depict precip type.

If you want a good pay site, I think weathertap is probably still a solid one. O/T but it's too bad the NWS radar page update was fumbled so badly. We really could've had a nice page if they had just tapped in design experts in the private sector or just asked COD or other good pages from academia to share code to roughly mirror the good stuff they have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

If you want a good pay site, I think weathertap is probably still a solid one. O/T but it's too bad the NWS radar page update was fumbled so badly. We really could've had a nice page if they had just tapped in design experts in the private sector or just asked COD or other good pages from academia to share code to roughly mirror the good stuff they have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Classic government “to the cheapest bidder” style debacle. I can’t even get the damn map to load regardless of what device I am on. 

unrelated, but riding my 10.8” MBY call. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, madwx said:

Gonna go with a 6” final call.  Lingering snow tomorrow morning brings us to that half foot mark

Good call. I think we have a shot at 8-9", but 6 seems like a good middle of the road call. NWS still going with 3-6" and WWA for Dane County. If it piles up quickly early this evening we may get bumped up to a WSW. 

• Like 1