Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

11 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

A clean 5-10 is a nice storm. This isn't that. I've seen storms like this before and they are garbage. You end up with hardly anything on the ground when it's over. Long duration with a front end followed by warming and rain to wash the first half away.

Yeah, 3-5 inches on the front end with temps in the upper 20s. Sounds exactly like this Mondays event. I’m going with osfan over psu here, all my chips are in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hypothetical 240 hour snow said:

Para is the real "disaster" (although still advisory lvl snow most places) with the surface low progressing well east, with flow changing NW which opens up the door on downsloping cutting into any ULL snow showers (I am not buying any snow the para is showing after 12-18Z Monday).

Para is probably having convective issues and taking the low too far east. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

A clean 5-10 is a nice storm. This isn't that. I've seen storms like this before and they are garbage. You end up with hardly anything on the ground when it's over. Long duration with a front end followed by warming and rain to wash the first half away.

I agree. Even two years ago, DC had a snowstorm that lasted 2 days, and dropped a foot from Saturday morning through Sunday evening. It was a great storm, but I imagine most people don't even remember it, because it was easy to forget.  And that stayed all snow, for two days, but I think because there was a lull, there was considerable melting during the lull, especially in the city.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, real said:

I agree. Even two years ago, DC had a snowstorm that lasted 2 days, and dropped a foot from Saturday morning through Sunday evening. It was a great storm, but I imagine most people don't even remember it, because it was easy to forget.  And that stayed all snow, for two days, but I think because there was a lull, there was considerable melting during the lull, especially in the city.

I was moving to Maryland that weekend in Jan 2019 from Alabama and delayed my move by a week because of road conditions (had a 2 wheel drive car). Since I moved I’ve been thinking I’d kill for a storm like that!  Hopefully this is the one, and anymore more is gravy. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, real said:

I agree. Even two years ago, DC had a snowstorm that lasted 2 days, and dropped a foot from Saturday morning through Sunday evening. It was a great storm, but I imagine most people don't even remember it, because it was easy to forget.  And that stayed all snow, for two days, but I think because there was a lull, there was considerable melting during the lull, especially in the city. !!! 

That was a nice event, part 2 really delivered and was quite delayed from part 1.  We were on here all morning hemming and hawing about whether it would happen.  Had some great rates during the end of the storm and finished with about 11 inches here in takoma park.  Would love to replicate that Sunday and Monday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Man, the euro's positioning of the high is $!

Looks better compared to 12z, more expansive and a tiny bit stronger. It's damn cold in New York leading up to this, -10s to -20s as lows the day before. Temps def shouldnt be an issue for the front end thump. 

• Like 1

Not that you’d expect much differences in a 90hr forecast from one run to another, but the 18z is so close to 12z, that it might just be slight timing differences. Confluence differences in NE are a bit more distinctly different, but the shortwave and low look essentially identical.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I posted it last week when people got all excited about the gfs showing that mirage blizzard. The gfs is currently ranked dead last at 120 hours. It’ll slowly coave to the euro like it always does. I only personally ever use it at this range to verify that a storm is possible. Once under 84 hours it’s okay. The JMA has better verification statistically than the GFS at day 5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic