Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t want to be overly critical but over the years it seems they are often a little slow to adjust to changing guidance. This works both ways. 

The latest snow map does not line up with their watches and warnings, so i think there was just a glitch...the snow map is not changed from last night.

19 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s a very intriguing map for me. That bullseye of colder h85 temps directly over me caught my eye

Cold air stuck in the Valley. Blue ridge is our friend in this instance. But with the track being shown i will be surprised if we don't mix some even here. 

32 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Nothing changes for me in Germantown. Still somewhere between. 1 and 13 inches lol.

Given the trends with this thing, my bar in Germantown is 4".  Some of our forum's northern spots could end up with fat ice sandwich -- 6 or so inches of snow, a thick layer of sleet congealed by some freezing rain, then a few inches of powder on top.  Enjoy!

@mappy

6z euro was good if you take it in a vacuum but it again nudged everything NW as every run has for 2 days and even up here we are out of any wiggle room. Any further adjustment and we will lose both the WAA front thump but especially any back end as the best forcing for that keeps shifting north. If the trend stops right now we are ok but any continued west shifts of the track today and we are in trouble even up here.  

Well...when I walked out to my car a little while ago (Arundel Mills area). All my windows were frozen over, a bottle of water inside had frozen and the washer fluid froze on contact. I'm just going to take the weenie approach and assume that I have a local cold dome that will make me invincible to the changeover. 

Might head back to my parent's place in Colesville to watch this one. Probably similar totals overall...

• Haha 1

That map is nuts. I live in Glen Burnie so I'll be chasing to the NW side of my neighborhood for a few extra inches

My point and click forecast for 22207 (cherrydale) is up to 3 inches with heavy rain mixed in during duration. 3 miles toward Falls Church is up to 7 inches, with possible ice

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@mappy

6z euro was good if you take it in a vacuum but it again nudged everything NW as every run has for 2 days and even up here we are out of any wiggle room. Any further adjustment and we will lose both the WAA front thump but especially any back end as the best forcing for that keeps shifting north. If the trend stops right now we are ok but any continued west shifts of the track today and we are in trouble even up here.  

Haven’t seen 6z euro, but took a quick look at other guidance. For MBY, it looks to all come down to the WAA thump. Thankfully, it looks pretty good on the 0z euro and meso guidance. But after that, it’s a sleet/rain mess and the CCB looks north of me. Maybe a finger of it sweeps through and gives me another dusting-2” tops, but that’s it. Pretty bleak frankly compared to 36hrs ago. If it wasn’t for that  high pressure and confluence, this would be 100% rain for almost everyone with that surface low track. 

11 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Well...when I walked out to my car a little while ago (Arundel Mills area). All my windows were frozen over, a bottle of water inside had frozen and the washer fluid froze on contact. I'm just going to take the weenie approach and assume that I have a local cold dome that will make me invincible to the changeover. 

Might head back to my parent's place in Colesville to watch this one. Probably similar totals overall...

If your windshield washer fluid froze at 30 degrees (or even 0 degrees, for that matter), it's not windshield washer fluid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

In all seriousness though if there ever was a storm for novice chasers, this is it. If this crazy gradient verifies, those of us in the coastal plain who have never chased have a rare opportunity to chase from cold rain to a foot of snow and be back before our boss notices we left. :D

Yeah I'd be tempted to do my 33-mile mini chase to Greenbrier Park off I-70 but man even there is looking dodgy now. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic