Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

With a relatively marginal airmass - any models suggesting widespread or heavy accumulations of freezing rain are probably wrong. Sleet - yes, freezing rain I wouldn't be too worried about. 

Right.     Those maps don't account for actual ability to build on surfaces.    They just look for rain falling with a sfc temperature at or below 32.     You're spot on that without it being very cold today/tonight (i.e. mid to upper 20s), rain falling at 31 or 32 isn't likely to be a major deal.      I do, however, think that parts of this area will get a big 'ole sleet bomb out of this.

• Like 7

3k NAM keeps MBY at or below freezing for the duration. Based on soundings, actually quite a bit of sleet and not as much rain or “freezing rain”. Freezing rain ain’t happening at temps of 30-32. Maybe a little glaze on railings and tree limbs. I get the NAM is pretty disastrous for the N/W crew, but I’m in salvage mode so I’ll take what I can get. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

Right.     Those maps don't account for actual ability to build on surfaces.    They just look for rain falling with a sfc temperature at or below 32.     You're spot on that without it being very cold today/tonight (i.e. mid to upper 20s), rain falling at 31 or 32 isn't likely to be a major deal.      I do, however, think that parts of this area will get a big 'ole sleet bomb out of this.

And add into the equation that it could even be pretty steady rain as well...always was told that if you want heavy freezing rain accumulation you're looking for lighter rain. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

3k NAM keeps MBY at or below freezing for the duration. Based on soundings, actually quite a bit of sleet and not as much rain or “freezing rain”. Freezing rain ain’t happening at temps of 30-32. Maybe a little glaze on railings and tree limbs. I get the NAM is pretty disastrous for the N/W crew, but I’m in salvage mode so I’ll take what I can get. 

Although 850s were screaming from the east, as you said 925/surface was better than expected which if you’re looking to avoid just plain rain, thats a better than expected run.  And agree on the ice threat...I just don’t see it.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Although 850s were screaming from the east, as you said 925/surface was better than expected which if you’re looking to avoid just plain rain, thats a better than expected run.  And agree on the ice threat...I just don’t see it.

Does say ice accumulation up to one tenth of an inch in the newest zone forecasts as of 940am from LWX... so i dunno

Just now, yoda said:

Does say ice accumulation up to one tenth of an inch in the newest zone forecasts as of 940am from LWX... so i dunno

I should clarify and say by ice threat, I’m talking a serious ice storm that some models spit out in their maps...glazing on a grill or metal railing, sure. But the mythical ice storm, no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

I should clarify and say by ice threat, I’m talking a serious ice storm that some models spit out in their maps...glazing on a grill or metal railing, sure. But the mythical ice storm, no.

It is a unicorn. I have only ever seen one true ZR ice storm. And that was in Atlanta believe it or not. 

• Like 1

we need tomorrow's air mass and yesterday's system (which would have been a classic warning level event here).  the latest nam has the upper level energy moving too far north.  if i was in the higher elevations near the mason dixon line i'd feel real good about this storm.  around here, i'm just hoping we get a couple hours of snow to start (bonus points for daytime snow).

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

One factor working for this event is it is actually decently cold today. No spike to the 60s right before the storm at least. 

DC proper didn't even drop below freezing.  Lately absent a true arctic outbreak we seem to struggle to get much below freezing at night even in the heart of winter.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

If this NAM is right Emmitsburg is not far enough for me to go. May just cancel and stay home, chasing to central PA not an option technically during PA's covid restrictions.

I'd wait until the 12z GFS and Euro run through before making a cancellation. Or maybe even 18z.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

NAM is a disaster, again. Precip doesn't even make it up here until 7pm, and I flip to sleet by 10pm. 

You sure about that?     Both the 12 and 3 km versions seems to have snow in your area by 2 or 3pm.    (I'm commenting on the precip timing, as it does look like you will go sleet.)

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I said a while ago a lack of precip could be an issue even for those with good temps and was told the models all showed “plenty of liquid” and “this thing is juiced.” LOL

As predicted, those with decent temps will waste precious time with light rates and spitting snow. That dry slot is massive. 

The dry slot is now a problem here because the track has shifted NW.  It didn’t get dryer it just shifted the heavy qpf up into PA!  That dryslot is because the best WAA and fgen have shifted northwest by then because the track shifted NW.   It wouldn’t be snowing where that dryslot is anyways because there is a huge mid level warm layer and that’s why the dryslot. To simplify the WAA lift stopped because the cold has been scoured out and is no longer resisting and forcing the warmth to lift over it.  Again there will be 20”+ totals with this storm. It’s plenty wet. Those totals just won’t be anywhere near us as the track keeps shifting north. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic