Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

Just now, ers-wxman1 said:

Sometimes I just have a hunch. Can’t explain it. 

That's fine and you will most likely be correct, but why not just write that it's a hunch then?. Either way it's great to have you back and posting. Hopefully we will be seeing a lot of you this winter. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

A majority of of us have been completely starved of snow the last couple years. Analysis is fine and all, but when you've been fighting for scraps for 1000 days, you start thinking that a steaming pile of sh*t looks appetizing.

Besides, most of us don't really know all that much about the science behind it - we're just fans of fun weather.

I feel you 100%. I want the snow too. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Emmitsburg is a very nice little town, which I've always passed on my way to ski Liberty, which is right on the other side of the border. The surrounding landscape will certainly give it a very wintry feel.

Back in the day, Liberty was known as Charnita, if I recall correctly. But I drank more at that time.

8 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Can i ask you a stupid question?. I obviously am aware that you know 2,000 times the amount of me about meteorology but how can you be a thousand percent sure that the models won't shift SE in the next 24 hours?. You came off as if this is written in stone. 

If you have followed this forum, this is not out of character 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

That's fine and you will most likely be correct, but why not just write that it's a hunch then?. Either way it's great to have you back and posting. Hopefully we will be seeing a lot of you this winter. 

thanks for saying what i was thinking. hunches are fine and all, but def dont poo-poo things if its just a hunch and expect everyone to accept it. lol everyone bout lost their damn minds in here earlier

• Like 3

Just now, ravensrule said:

Had password issues and couldn’t get back in the system. Got it worked out. The biggest factor for me is the 500mb pattern. It’s vigorous but it’s progressive, not cutoff, and not much phasing at our latitude. That won’t drive the cold air in, high retreats so source is gone. My hunch/guess on that is we don’t score like we want to. 

27 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I would need hourly output to see how long the mix period is. But seems like we’d probably get a few inches on the front? Then lots of sleet, then a couple inches at the end. Sign me up.

Stuck in a meeting, but the big win from the euro run is that the changeover in my neck of the woods is ~3pm and after 0.3”+ of qpf.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Had password issues and couldn’t get back in the system. Got it worked out. The biggest factor for me is the 500mb pattern. It’s vigorous but it’s progressive, not cutoff, and not much phasing at our latitude. That won’t drive the cold air in, high retreats so source is gone. My hunch/guess on that is we don’t score like we want to. 

Thank you for explaining it to me like the weenie that i am. I pray that you are wrong but know that you are probably right. 

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

thanks for saying what i was thinking. hunches are fine and all, but def dont poo-poo things if its just a hunch and expect everyone to accept it. lol everyone bout lost their damn minds in here earlier

My fault.  my 6:30 old man yells at cloud match blew up the powder keg.  Euro looks good for many.  hope it holds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

On the 12z Euro, as the low pulls away it flips even the US 50 corridor down to about St. Mary's City back to a period of accumulating snow.

Still has about a quarter inch of QPF left in the tank as well when that occurs. It’s never great to depend on back end snowfall though, especially with a storm that is riding through a fairly progressive 500 mb pattern. It’s 2020 though, anything can happen in this crazy year!

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Stuck in a meeting, but the big win from the euro run is that the changeover in my neck of the woods is ~3pm and after 0.3”+ of qpf.  

Thanks for that tidbit, that’s excellent news. Solid advisory criteria even before the flip, even for the beltway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Almost went there, but I'm an admin.  Have to set the fucking standard around here for good language and good behavior.

Come on. You used to be so much naughtier. In your old age you have become so proper. Let it fly like the old days sometimes please. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic