• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Based on the reading of the BOX from Boston Weather. We need that center to come close or directly over the 40/70 Benchmark to get something good here or we're looking at 3-6" of very dry fluffy snow / pixie dust Boston area and immediate North Shore with a very narrow band of 6-12" on the far South Shore.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I've gone a year without a warning...I could go another 10, and amounts of 10" would still seem moderate to me. Doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable....just not that anomalous.

I think it also has to do with the societal impact of a 12" snowstorm these days. 12" of snow is meh when it comes to disrupting travel and life really beyond the timeframe of when it is actually snowing.

• Like 1

Just another perspective ..but fwiw, here's my bullet point analysis:

*   the total tropospheric wave space is deamplifying as it is moving thru.. 

*   the GFS is uniquely qualified to snif this sort of phenomenon ..because it carry's on with a bit of progressive ( sort of ..)/ speed shearing bias, anyway... Therein, it may rush the delta(dampening)/dt process. 

*   the NAM ( using that as a dipole scenario... ), tends to carry on with a longer term NW bias and amplitude tendency - it may be it's non-hydrostatic/ in situ pseudo adiabatic management offering nuanced additional latent heat feeds into roll out ridges... blah blah...That forces backward and it curls more NW with no compunctions in achieving majestic storm intensity whle doing so, viola!  Storm blossome 20" totals in a "very realistic" 4 hour span ... 

*  I think a compromise may be in order.  

* As an ongoing 'reasonable'/consistently useful deterministic method: when one or the other major player guidance types does not budge, most of the ends results in those cases end up exhibiting vestiges ( more and less) of why that guidance did not budge... ;)   that's code for watch - the GFS won't be "completely" wrong here.  And the fact of the matter is...it's not already ?

* It's not - the hemisphere suffers from speed surplus in a progressive pattern which ( oddly enough )

( as an aside...that garland of progressive rip is winding around underneath - at least as far as the GEFs have it - a strong negative AO phase ... Hmm, the two are in contention. It's interesting... )

... So, anyway, for now I think there is enough evidence not to auto-toss the GFS when trying to be objective here. I would also question big totals...while not discounting the idea of a more significant impact, because there is till some uncertainty in the 'sensitivity' of the system morphology due to what is still presently relaying off the Pacific out west into the trough.

• Like 2

Just now, Greg said:

The hope now is that based on the reading of the BOX from Boston Weather. We need that center to come close or directly over the 40/70 Benchmark to get something good here or we're looking at 3-6" of very dry fluffy snow / pixie dust with a very narrow band of 6-12" on the far South Shore.

The CMC goes right over the benchmark.

prateptype.us_ne.png

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I think it also has to do with the societal impact of a 12" snowstorm these days. 12" of snow is meh when it comes to disrupting travel and life really beyond the timeframe of when it is actually snowing.

A moderate non historic storm during Christmas season is still a big plus. It doesn't always have to be epic.

Just now, Greg said:

The hope now is that based on the reading of the BOX from Boston Weather. We need that center to come close or directly over the 40/70 Benchmark to get something good here or we're looking at 3-6" of very dry fluffy snow / pixie dust with a very narrow band of 6-12" on the far South Shore.

Need the s/w to remain potent and intact as possible as it traverses thru.  Exact opposite of the GFS.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

Not really feeling this one. Afraid a lot of weenies expecting 12-18"+ are going to be disappointed when they have to settle for 8".  A region wide 6-12" south of the pike with 4-8" from pike northward is kind of what I'm expecting.  Haven't dug in deep enough to figure out what "northward" means.

I’ll gladly take 6-12 here..no issues. But most modeling shows more than that here..but whatever.  It beats an inch of slush like last weekend. 

7 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Not really feeling this one. Afraid a lot of weenies expecting 12-18"+ are going to be disappointed when they have to settle for 8".  A region wide 6-12" south of the pike with 4-8" from pike northward is kind of what I'm expecting.  Haven't dug in deep enough to figure out what "northward" means.

I think that’s how it plays out too. 

• Like 1