Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

In an urban area, like the hilly city of Worcester, 8-12 is a major event. Not hysteric. Not minor. But a very good hit. It has to do with being in a city. If Paxton gets 8-12 it is significant but not a real big deal. I'll be delighted to see 12" of the light fluffy stuff.

It also depends... if it is a fluffernutter, no big deal. The cement on Dec 5 was pretty "major" impactwise, despite the totals being meh

I don't know ... is there an official metrical sort of definition to event minor vs moderate vs major event ?

I remember in the 1980s into the mid 1990s.. .back in TWC days of "weather cinema monopoly" ... and even the local TV weather personalities would refer to minor events at 2-4" .. .moderate as 4-6" and anything > 6 was major... 

Now, seems that's hugely contingent upon conditioning of culture/society ...sociologically adaptive - long words for the fact that we hand out 10" snow bombs like Pez candies since 2000 so ... Maybe that scale - subjective or not ... -- needs to be redressed.  Haha...

I think a "new scale" that is acclimated and more relative to modernity at present, might be anything 3" has to be achieved before entrance into the minor lounge.   Say 3-5" is a minor event... 6-10" is a moderate event... and > 10 is major. 

It's not just snow board climate and acclimation, either... Tech in snow removal and maintenance makes those lower values sort of outmoded - so there's a practical angle on this too.  I have seen 14" of snow between 1am and 2 pm more than just a couple of times since 2000, and was able to drive around on fairly communicable roadways ... and other traffic day in the lifing it -

• Like 1