• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

It’s rare for a winter storm to tuck in west of Cape May and eject almost due east like that. I can’t remember the last time the snowfall gradient between Philly and ACY was so sharp. Unusual combination of a Miller B and a 930s mb 50/50 vortex. That may be one of the deepest 50/50 lows on record.

9CED49DD-AD09-4588-851B-6BB4D06157C7.thumb.png.993a798bf184b3ecc3d0dea56636c40a.png

Yep. Thank goodness we have that there or this is an easy washout. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoshSnow said:

With a tight gradient like that, NYC could get 2-4 inch/hour when the storm tries to push up north. It’s going to get really interesting how north that precip pushes. The best spot for this storm in my opinion is Larchmont, NY. You’re going to get enhanced ocean snow effect from the sound and it’ll be cold enough to be all snow. Also that tight gradient is going to create some crazy banding somewhere around that area.

Yea I think westchester county in general in an amazing spot with this storm

The January 2016 storm we got 33" out her in Chester; it was an absolute beast of a storm; I think I still have some cell videos I took during the height of it. Just absolutely dumped snow. I remember it well as my wife was 3 months pregnant with our first, my dad was in rehab post double knee replacement and we had a 10 week old puppy. No snowblower or plow, it took me the entire next stay (starting at 6:30 am) to shovel out.

But for some reason, January 96 remains my favorite. It got me into chasing weather.

Sorry for the banter...cheers everyone.

• Like 5

Mid-Rockland County here.  Will fire up the snow blower tomorrow and fire up the generator.  Hoping for lower than expected winds.  Sandy was enough for us - eight days sans power.  No fun.  A big snowstorm is beautiful to watch but the negative aspects outweigh the beauty.  Dump on us, just not the power loss......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveTinNY said:

Mid-Rockland County here.  Will fire up the snow blower tomorrow and fire up the generator.  Hoping for lower than expected winds.  Sandy was enough for us - eight days sans power.  No fun.  A big snowstorm is beautiful to watch but the negative aspects outweigh the beauty.  Dump on us, just not the power loss......

good thing it won't be wet snow up there...March 2018 was very bad up by Milford PA and NW Jersey...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveTinNY said:

Should be powdery snow by you. That is the key to no power loss. Unless some idiot takes out a pole.

Just now, uncle W said:

good thing it won't be wet snow up there...March 2018 was very bad up by Milford PA and NW Jersey...

That 3/18 storm was a disaster here too. A week with no power with snow and cold sucked. No I mean it SUCKED. Yup, gonna fire up the generator tomorrow just to be sure that all is well. I'm also going to go find a new shovel.

Great looking setup for most of the region.  But a couple minor things I don't really like.

1. Models increasingly sending the biggest QPF into central PA - notably on most of the recent EC panels.

2. A warm layer on some guidance causing sleet to mix in as far north as northern NJ - notably on the 18z RGEM.

3. A quick thump followed by a dryslot and then mixed light precipition to end - notably on the NAM.

But if we can manage at least 8 or 10 inches overnight with light to moderate snow lingering after daybreak on Thursday morning I'll be really happy. Most guidance indicates a moist 700mb layer during the day on Thursday so at least sporadic flurries could stick around through midday.

• Like 1