Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 11th-12th Potential Winter Storm

Thundersnow12

On 12/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hoosier said:

Sounds like marine influence.

Not sure.  I think it was just a sharp gradient.  GRR and MKG also got narrowly missed.  Frustrating as there was a lot of H2O coming out of the sky.  It just never changed over, not even towards the end.  When the temperature finally got below freezing the precip stopped.  Maddening.

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

Not sure.  I think it was just a sharp gradient.  GRR and MKG also got narrowly missed.  Frustrating as there was a lot of H2O coming out of the sky.  It just never changed over, not even towards the end.  When the temperature finally got below freezing the precip stopped.  Maddening.

Yeah, IMBY I had 2.08” of rain and maybe 12 flakes at the end but still waiting for first measurable snow of the season. 

2 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Yeah, IMBY I had 2.08” of rain and maybe 12 flakes at the end but still waiting for first measurable snow of the season. 

Yea.  I don't think it was a situation where there was a deep warm intrusion aloft as there was not much in the way of sleet or mixed precip anywhere.  The lowest km or so just needed to be a few degrees colder and it would have been a very significant dumping.  I was holding out hope that the models might be wrong but no such luck.  Perhaps if the same pattern had occurred later in the winter with an established cold boundary layer in place.  I remember March 2, 2002 was a decent surprise wet dump of snow.

• Like 1

Ended up with around 5" at my family's cottage/2nd house WSW of Baldwin, MI. Conditions were more intense up by Cadillac where 8-9" had fallen. I took some video between Baldwin and Cadillac on Saturday. Was nice to spend the weekend up north in the snow while downstate was watching the rain again.

• Like 2