• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Trend is your friend.   That general trend taking everything the past 2 or 3 days has been east.  I just don't have a good feeling on this one for us up here.  They NH hype machine starts on the 6pm news tonight.

It does fit the trend of the southern stream continuing to slow down... there's still a lot of time left.  Could be big or a nothing burger still.

Just now, PhineasC said:

The HRRRRRR at 48 hours sounds like the NAM at 384 to be honest. 

It certainly is hit and miss (which even be said with the HRRR at 12 hours) but it's really great for assessing consistency and trends. So let's say the 0z HRRR tonight is in line with the NAM and then each subsequent run remains consistent...even though other guidance is suggesting otherwise, seeing the HRRR be consistent I think would be a strong indicator. not sure how well this works with winter weather but the idea works great with convection. 

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The one Ray uses is terribly low. Will mentioned it yesterday . Said it’s biased low 

Depends on the situation...generalizing algorithms is a fool's errand, so you seem like the right man for the job.

I like it for resolving precip type, but not mid level banding.

First Call...Final tomorrow.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/12/developing-coastal-storm-to-impact-area.html

Dec 5 First Call.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Trend is your friend.   That general trend taking everything the past 2 or 3 days has been east.  I just don't have a good feeling on this one for us up here.  They NH hype machine starts on the 6pm news tonight.

Haha it's kind of always funny seeing the local news a step behind the forum. They are going to use this mornings and afternoon model runs to hype up the potential for a significant warning criteria storm in NH, while we watch this evenings model runs live shunt this east and possibly give more significant impacts to SNE.

Not that I'm ready to jump ship for CNE or NNE on this as I alluded to in my last post....I just get a chuckle watching the local news rely on previous runs while mets on here are starting to discuss entirely different scenarios. Showing old data certainly adds to the "weatherman get paid to be wrong" mentality I hear the general public gripe about all the time but I also get why showing the most recent model runs on such short notice on a live broadcast is problematic especially before the meteorologist on staff hasn't had the time to fully analyze those said model runs.

Just now, RDRY said:

And a somewhat early issuance as well. This will be interesting to watch unfold. Meteorology over modelogy?

Exactly. The snowfall algorithm that I tout is superior with respect to distinguishing precip type issues, which is usually important for us. Most algorithms err by tallying mixed precvip as snow, which inflates the numbers. Mine does not to this, however, it is only based on the model, which usually will not resolve mid level banding properly. Thus it will miss the deformation axis to the NW of the low.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly. The snowfall algorithm that I tout is superior with respect to distinguishing precip type issues, which is usually important for us. Most algorithms err by tallying mixed precvip as snow, which inflates the numbers. Mine does not to this, however, it is only based on the model, which usually will not resolve mid level banding properly. Thus it will miss the deformation axis to the NW of the low.

The band would have to set up WAY north and west of most recent model runs.

2 minutes ago, RDRY said:

The band would have to set up WAY north and west of most recent model runs.

Are you talking about the QPF charts, or mid level model depictions? if the mid levels trend east, and/or the system matures later, then yes.......but not because the QPF chart simply doesn't show big amounts. Models mainly resolve precipitation from low level forcing, but are not skilled with mid level deformation...vastly underdone.

• Like 1