• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Silly question.   But any chances of blizzard warnings if the winds ramp up?

I asked that yesterday. The forecast seems to have winds gusting past 30 in the snow will get powdery or later in the day. I would think they would be blizzard conditions somewhere east and north of Concord New Hampshire and west of Portsmouth and Portland  Maine

• Like 1

Good morning, Seldom post here.

1) A couple of things.  Snow ratios in MA/CT will in my opinion be down to 6 to 1 or something like...falling at 33F. That means half of those 10 to 1 amounts, and I say ditto Kuchera.  

2) On NWS collaborated graphics... Need to wait 2 hours for a full complements of updated cycle.  Example...the 330A-4A deadlines... wait till the 5A or 6A updated graphics.  That way you can be assured of getting their basis information for the the NWS forecast. 

Here's my take from the NYC forum since I am enthused.

Dramatic changes should unfold next 8 hours. Follow local NWS forecasts, statements and your own interp of the models.

I am going with the NAM3K and EC.  However, realize the HRRRX (X for experimental- not our  moderator) is not as robust as yesterday.  Now we're in HRRR territory (inside 18 hours, so I'll use the operational HRRR to temper my expectations).  GGEM and RGEM are not changing over to snow nearly as fast.  So what follows, may be a little on the high side. Please USE NWS as official guidance.

mPING will be useful. 

Banding is developing now and this is going to be a swat for for portions of ne CT and eastern-central MA with thunder by midday and then afternoon bands of 1-2"/hr for a couple of hours-wet snow glop high terrain with valleys much less than elevations (6 or 7 to 1 ratios?). The wind gusts of 45-55 MPH late this afternoon and evening there will, in my non science opinion,  make for a major power outages in the high terrain.  This is based on my anticipation of minimum 4" of wet snow on trees  -wires - road signs  combined with increasing wind gusts this afternoon knocking down limbs etc. Note: I could see some ASOS's in the 4+" axis being muted-jammed accumulating wet snow.   

Anticipating mixing with snow extreme ne PA,  NW NJ and Orange County NY northward, 7A-9A with possibly an inch or so high terrain above 1000 feet, trace valleys. NW CT and w MA should mix and change to wet snow around 10A-Noon, central MA and ne CT around Noon-2P and Boston itself may be delayed til 7-9P. 

Follow local forecasts for amounts in CT-MA...but i can see 5-10" Worcester Hills and 4" parts of the Litchfield and Hartford Counties in CT terrain above 1000 feet with ending there not til mid afternoon, ORH some time evening and Boston sometime after midnight.  (EC has 15-18" from what I can see but this may not take into account melting, compacting and snow ratios)

se CT I think will see isolated damaging wind gusts near 60 MPH this afternoon. 

Have fun with this... and I sure hope EC and NAM 3K are right.  Otherwise much less impact. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.14.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.16.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.17.53 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Change over time will be the key for most of us here in CT, Especially west of the river.   If we aren’t snow by 11-12 noon, it’s over here imo. Still 40 degrees here.   

NWS has 2-3 inches here...that’s reasonable imo.  We’ll see what happens?  

Yep

Thanks for the insight Walt. 

I agree that we’re prob looking something more like 6-10 for high terrain interior MA and not those 15” totals. I guess 12” could happen if we start seeing a changeover soon. Melting layer on BOX radar looks to be around 1500-2000 feet. 

ORH went from 40F to 38F last hour. I suspect mixing will start around 36F 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Da fuk?

KMHT 051132Z 0512/0612 VRB04KT P6SM -RA FEW024 OVC029
  FM051400 36011KT 4SM -RA OVC005
  FM052200 35016G28KT 4SM +RA OVC004 WS020/00050KT
  FM060300 32016G31KT 1/2SM SN OVC015
  FM060600 31016G30KT P6SM OVC025

If it's not SN or +SN at MHT at 22z this is an epic, epic bust. Not how I'd write the TAF, but hey I haven't written one in years.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for the insight Walt. 

I agree that we’re prob looking something more like 6-10 for high terrain interior MA and not those 15” totals. I guess 12” could happen if we start seeing a changeover soon. Melting layer on BOX radar looks to be around 1500-2000 feet. 

ORH went from 40F to 38F last hour. I suspect mixing will start around 36F 

Yeah I still like 4-8'' here and 6-12'' in the hills. Going to be tough to put up double digits, esp outside of elevation when it's a 6-8 hour paste thump, even if it's a hell of a thump.

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

If it's not SN or +SN at MHT at 22z this is an epic, epic bust. Not how I'd write the TAF, but hey I haven't written one in years.

Agree, and could (and should imo) even be earlier than that. Most NWS offices don't pay too much attention to TAFs, as evident here. 8-12" in 3 hours...okay you think that NWS lol.

Let's keep trying to get in the ball park... Cant be absolutely sure on my taker but I like the way things are going.  M PING has snow in se NYS (Ulster County).  Are those Wachusetts Cameras live???  Two of them look good... if someone can answer that one.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Snowing now at 1kft in Litchfield County. Still on the fence here in the valley - can definitely see monster rates arguing for a couple hour isothermal thump. Can also see myself crying at cat paws at noon lol

Ya gonna be a nail biter for sure....hope we’re mixing by 10:30-11:00?