• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ISeekSnow
    Newest Member
    ISeekSnow

September Discobs 2020

Pouring here. Not welcomed at all. Figures, after I seeded. This is a separate area of rainfall from that main area to our West.  

Current downpour over 10 minutes and would do the summer thunderstorms justice.

Rain gauge at 1.10 ans radar estimate here 

Click for latest Storm Total Precipitation radar loop from the Mt. Holly, NJ radar and current weather warnings

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frd said:

Pouring here. Not welcomed at all. Figures, after I seeded. This is a separate area of rainfall from that main area to our West.  

Current downpour over 10 minutes and would do the summer thunderstorms justice.

If you have straw or you seeded existing grass I don’t think the rain will hurt your seed. Probably help to have some heavy rain drive that seed to the soil

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If you have straw or you seeded existing grass I don’t think the rain will hurt your seed. Probably help to have some heavy rain drive that seed to the soil

Good comment,  thank you. I over seeded an existing lawn. Height of grass should prevent wash away. I just worry, that's all.  I also core plugged it too with a machine. From a weather perspective looking forward to the cool down with nice morning dew,  and then a gradually warm up as we near mid month.  

Same old story, as mentioned a bit ago that area of heavy rain meant business and has caused a FA

NEW.KPHI.FA.Y.0180.200929T1926Z-200929T2330Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
New Castle DE-Delaware PA-
326 PM EDT Tue Sep 29 2020

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a

* Flood Advisory for...
  Northern New Castle County in northern Delaware...
  Southwestern Delaware County in southeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 730 PM EDT.

* At 326 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain. Minor flooding
  is ongoing or expected to begin shortly in the advisory area.

Some locations that may experience flooding include...
Wilmington, Newark, Chester, Pennsville, Carneys Point, Elsmere, New
Castle, Penns Grove, Delaware City, Newport, Arden, and Wilmington
Manor.

This includes the following highways...
Interstate 95 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 0 and 1.
Interstate 95 in Delaware between mile markers 2 and 23

42 minutes ago, frd said:

Good comment,  thank you. I over seeded an existing lawn. Height of grass should prevent wash away. I just worry, that's all.  I also core plugged it too with a machine. From a weather perspective looking forward to the cool down with nice morning dew,  and then a gradually warm up as we near mid month.  

If you’ve aerated, then the rain will wash some seeds into the holes that you made and be the perfect medium to germinate; cool, dark, and moist. In a couple of weeks, the lawn will remind you of a man that got a hair transplant with new grass shoots sprouting from the holes.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, frd said:

The next time you core your lawn do it with the grass really high. Wait a day or two and then cut the lawn short. Doing this will obliterate the plugs giving you a bunch of loose soil sitting there that will aid in the germination of your seed.

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If you’ve aerated, then the rain will wash some seeds into the holes that you made and be the perfect medium to germinate; cool, dark, and moist. In a couple of weeks, the lawn will remind you of a man that got a hair transplant with new grass shoots sprouting from the holes.

I agree with this one part in particular. The dark part. You can plant seed in bare soil, cover part of it with straw and leave the other part uncovered and the covered seed will immediately germinate while the uncovered either won’t germinate at all or will be very slow to do so. That darkness matters for seed that is not fully covered by soil.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I agree with this one part in particular. The dark part. You can plant seed in bare soil, cover part of it with straw and leave the other part uncovered and the covered seed will immediately germinate while the uncovered either won’t germinate at all or will be very slow to do so. That darkness matters for seed that is not fully covered by soil.

Try spreading peat moss over the seeded bare area.  Peat moss keeps the soil more moist and has additional nutrients compared to straw.  Takes a lot more to blow it away too compared to straw.  I've had good luck with it in the past.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDM said:

Try spreading peat moss over the seeded bare area.  Peat moss keeps the soil more moist and has additional nutrients compared to straw.  Takes a lot more to blow it away too compared to straw.  I've had good luck with it in the past.  

This is what I use. Its a bit pricey when you have a larger area to do(like I just did) but it is very effective and I despise straw, so worth it.

• Like 1

Pouring here in the rainforest. I'm right under the stuff ahead of the main area of rain. Looks like im in the bullseye as usual. I'd estimate I've already gotten a half inch and it's steadily pouring. 

Rain really missed for the most part - everything that popped up ahead of main line managed to skip my parts of baltimore. 

by time main batch gets here looks like the reds and yellows will be done and just a steady rain for a bit.

51 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Wasn’t paying attention to the temperature forecast.  Impressive drop from 80 midday to 57 now.  Steady rain is on the doorstep.

That’s impressive. High here was only 64.

41 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

We are already between 1.1 and 1.3 here depending upon your source. That’s way more than forecast already.

Nearest PWS shows 1.46 so far.  This has been a real soaker.