Total Members
    Most Online
    thewriter
    Newest Member
    thewriter
George BM

September Discobs 2020

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Seems the stink bugs reached some equilibrium with the ecosystem. Hopefully the spotted lantern flies do the same down the road because they’re coming and the reports from PA ssssuuucccckkkk.

Confirmed in Cecil and Harford counties, unfortunately. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/spotted-lanternfly  

Anytime we’re hiking in Garrett County, I make a point to look for them - they are a disaster for the ecosystem.

I rarely see a stink bug anymore. Now if that tiger mosquito could go away I’d be happy

temp down to 41.3° this morning. Might dip a tiny bit more but could be the coldest morning so far

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely less around.  I remember the first year or 2 of there vacation here there wasn't an attic around I didn't encounter 100s of them.  I even saw a couple electrical panels filled completely and shorted out the bus bar lol :lightning:

Hopefully good riddance 

The last few years were bad here. Since I don't have an attic- log home with all cathedral ceilings- once they find a way in up top, they end up in the house and live with me all winter. I probably flushed 100 of them down the toilet from Jan to March, and vacuumed up a bunch more. Annoying bastards.

I am ready this year. Last weekend I sprayed an insecticide with a long lasting residual under the eaves, along the fascia, soffit vents, and the entire chimney from bottom to top. They are normally congregating on the south side of the house by now. I don't think they are going to be suddenly absent this year, but hopefully not as many.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I rarely see a stink bug anymore. Now if that tiger mosquito could go away I’d be happy

temp down to 41.3° this morning. Might dip a tiny bit more but could be the coldest morning so far

There are a only a few out here and there, but they are aggressive. I wouldn't think they last much longer, with the dry stretch and cooler temps.

From Mount Holly AFD this morning-

The main forecast question today is if the skies will become whiter in appearance this afternoon, owing to another round of smoke from the fires in the western U.S. Latest HRRR-Smoke simulations indicate a fairly broad region of upper-level smoke will migrate eastward into the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic as westerly flow in the Midwest/Great Lakes reaches a col positioned on the East Coast. This pattern is favorable for the smoke to move into the region and subsequently stagnate in the highly diffluent upper-level flow west of Teddy. The sun may become more filtered today as the smoke moves into the area, and there may be some impacts on high temperatures. For now, though, think any effects on temperatures will be low, given that there will be plenty of time for radiational warming this morning.

12 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We’re using up all our good looks and patterns before winter. :yikes:

If we end up with a moderate, CP based Nina, we likely wont be seeing many of these looks during winter.

Might as well enjoy it now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, CAPE said:

If we end up with a moderate, CP based Nina, we likely wont be seeing many of these looks during winter.

Might as well enjoy it now.

16 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

SER all the way

Let's just go all the way for a super La Nina. It would be interesting to see what it would do during winter and next spring. Severe weather train rolling on for months?

32 but no frost.

the growing season seems to be over out here—so many vendors from the Charles Town farmers market posting pictures on social media of frozen plants after 3 nights of freezing temperatures. 

Hoping for good weather next Tuesday evening. We're driving to Wallops for the Anteres launch at 10:30 pm. Everyone in this sub forum should be able to see it, the Anteres is the bigger(est) rocket that can be launched from WAL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

32F again this morning with pretty good frost.  3 straight nights of freezing temps in mid September.   Truly amazing.

Even more remarkable is that KOKV hasn’t had a temperature above 70 in 8 days in the middle of September. Love to see the last time that happened.

• Like 2

Looks warm for awhile. Probably 5+ degrees above average in general over the next 5-6 days, before we get what looks like an impressive trough digging down from Canada mid next week with a big PNA ridge out west.

• Like 1