Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

34 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Weren't they suspected of a little bit of pump 'n' dump type activity earlier this year?  Spreading a little premature or false news about their vaccine?

They had a PR presser to goose prices and then did a stock offering I believe .

We should hope the Peer Review as the details of the phase 3 data comes out ..is still very favorable 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:05 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

You really need to start around 30. Give or take. Otherwise you run risk of not being able to have a catch or kick the soccer ball with them in HS. I was 30 when we started 

Turned 30 last week. Wife is a year older. Let me go tell her we gots to start having those babies!

• Thanks 1

It pretty much makes sense that all of those states who mostly dodged the spring spikes are getting hit now. In the spring, the experts told us we couldn't really avoid infections and deaths in the long run, rather the idea was to spread them out over a longer period of time so as to avoid unnecessary deaths from hospital overcrowding. At some point, people morphed this guidance into an idea that we could somehow avoid COVID altogether and not have cases/deaths. Kinda weird how that happened. Anyway, VT, NH, and other such states that seemed to have dodged the bullet in May will be hit now, luckily we are much better now at protecting the vulnerable and treating COVID. That all said, I am glad I live on the side of a mountain and not next to the Berlin jail.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t think no one cares, but I do think fatigue has set in for many and people are letting their guard down among people that are relatively close. A multi-family dinner, carpooling, someone dropping by to help around the house. Obviously there are other ways this is spreading but our society isn’t built for us to be immobilized, not for this long, especially when so many are grieving loss in a variety of contexts. 

Compound the very real and profound economic impact that’s hitting people and it’s a recipe for what we have today. That’s before even touching the political stuff. 

We need to get back to the original concept of flatten the curve. The focus should be on making sure the hospitals don't become overwhelmed. That is how Fauci and gang sold everyone on the lockdowns in the first place. I'm serious that at some point the narrative for a lot of Americans morphed into "we can take certain actions such as mask wearing and social distancing to just avoid COVID entirely," which is silly and never what any legit expert said. I'm not sure how this all got twisted, perhaps it was inevitable given what is happening on the political side of things. Either way, you now have people that have been following the supposed silver bullet formula for dodging COVID who are still getting it anyway, and that will cause a lot more people to come to the conclusion that the rules are all pretty useless and throw the baby out with the bathwater. The messaging on COVID is totally messed up now. People are obsessed with cases and have totally lost the forest for the trees at this point. We need a total reset and restart on COVID messaging across the board, IMO.

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We need to get back to the original concept of flatten the curve. The focus should be on making sure the hospitals don't become overwhelmed. That is how Fauci and gang sold everyone on the lockdowns in the first place. I'm serious that at some point the narrative for a lot of Americans morphed into "we can take certain actions such as mask wearing and social distancing to just avoid COVID entirely," which is silly and never what any legit expert said. I'm not sure how this all got twisted, perhaps it was inevitable given what is happening on the political side of things. Either way, you now have people that have been following the supposed silver bullet formula for dodging COVID who are still getting it anyway, and that will cause a lot more people to come to the conclusion that the rules are all pretty useless and throw the baby out with the bathwater. The messaging on COVID is totally messed up now. People are obsessed with cases and have totally lost the forest for the trees at this point. We need a total reset and restart on COVID messaging across the board, IMO.

Plus you have some silliness to the mask mandates with regards to masking while in public even if there is nobody around. I was taking my usual weekend cycle ride and an older woman coming out of a rural store yelled at me for not having a mask on. Give me a break. I was 40'+ away from her as I rode by at 20mph. I'm sorry, but I'm not masking while cycling and will use common sense approaches when and how to decide when to mask. Stuff like this just continues to divide the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Plus you have some silliness to the mask mandates with regards to masking while in public even if there is nobody around. I was taking my usual weekend cycle ride and an older woman coming out of a rural store yelled at me for not having a mask on. Give me a break. I was 40'+ away from her as I rode by at 20mph. I'm sorry, but I'm not masking while cycling and will use common sense approaches when and how to decide when to mask. Stuff like this just continues to divide the country.

ya it's crazy.  If I walk by you on the sidewalk even 2 feet away and we both don't have masks, we are NOT going to spread the virus to each other. They keep talking about the science, but where is the actual science on how it spreads, how close you have to be to one another, and for how long? It varies everyday. 

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

There has been several doctors ripping Charlie bakers new mask mandate as “pandemic theatre”. He’s now requiring masks at all times in public, even outdoors, which goes against the science that he preaches he’s following 24/7.

Those doctors theorize people are going to be skeptical of future requests for compliance because these current measures are totally out to lunch. 

You aren’t going to get people to follow the rules  when it really matters by doing this kind of stuff, which is sad 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I went on a walk last week at Pinkham Notch and it was interesting to see how people handled the whole mask thing. I always give way on a trail by moving well off to the side when anyone approaches. It was about 50/50 with people who would put on their masks when they approached versus not. Mind you, there was about 15-20 feet of distance at all times, this was a wide path. Definitely the younger, "earthy" crowd (you guys know the type up here) was quick to mask up whereas the older folks (some elderly) often did not. I have seen this pattern a lot. It's here in MD. The older Karens there are masked 24/7 whereas the young people are more likely to flout the rules. Kinda interesting to me.

One thing I do see in a lot of people is fear and paranoia. You can see it in people's eyes as they stare at you from behind their mask. It will take a very long time for society to heal. I'm sure I am not the only one who has noticed how damn twitchy everyone is these days...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

If you give her COVID from 40 feet away, going 20 mph on a bike, we’re all screwed anyway and might as well just throw in the towel.  You’re in the right. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There has been several doctors ripping Charlie bakers new mask mandate as “pandemic theatre”. He’s now requiring masks at all times in public, even outdoors, which goes against the science that he preaches he’s following 24/7.

Those doctors theorize people are going to be skeptical of future requests for compliance because these current measures are totally out to lunch. 

You aren’t going to get people to follow the rules  when it really matters by doing this kind of stuff, which is sad 

Our glorious politicians aren't even following the rules themselves. They continue to have parties, host galas, and travel around. I'm sure many, many turkeys will be carved in the governor's mansions next week. It'll be OK because they will have less than 25 people in each dining room of the mansion. See, they follow the rules too.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Our glorious politicians aren't even following the rules themselves. They continue to have parties, host galas, and travel around. I'm sure many, many turkeys will be carved in the governor's mansions next week. It'll be OK because they will have less than 25 people in each dining room of the mansion. See, they follow the rules too.

“You are what you eat” and if that’s the case, Phineas, they will do no more than live the metaphor. As always ....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don’t have a strong opinion on the masks either way but it’s funny how bulletproof the theory is. If the cases go down it’s because of masks or if they go up it’s because no enough people are wearing them. Everywhere I go I see people with masks on. The country has the highest cases we have had all year! Are the masks really working? 

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

I don’t have a strong opinion on the masks either way but it’s funny how bulletproof the theory is. If the cases go down it’s because of masks or if they go up it’s because no enough people are wearing them. Everywhere I go I see people with masks on. The country has the highest cases we have had all year! Are the masks really working? 

I think masks definitely help but it’s hard to judge based on the numbers because I think there are large parts of the country where people are not wearing masks at all.

Everybody around here has been pretty good about wearing the masks at stores etc. but my neighbor was at the Walmart up in Keene New Hampshire yesterday and he said he saw a lot of people without masks or masks hanging around their necks.

• Like 1

High school kids don't wear them very much outside of school. My wife tells me she will see them all hanging around someone's car after school and they have all taken their masks off and they are terrible about staying distanced at lunch time when they are allowed to take them off inside.

That's definitely one reason cases are spreading...they teenagers and younger college-aged crowd don't really wear them....they'll spread it to older people. People are also staying inside more now that the weather is colder.

• Like 3

I'm truly fascinated by the geographic leaf drop variations.  

I was at my inlaws in Old Lyme CT yesterday.  They have Oaks.  They are much more south than where I live in EMA.  Why are their leaves down 100% while we sit here at 50%.  Could it be rainfall rates between the two areas?   

I think Kevin said he visited Scooters area and was shocked how many leaves were still up. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Masks work but they’re not a panacea. If I wear my mask 100% of the time at the grocery store or whatever but take it off when I’m at my best friend’s house for dinner or in a carpool with my neighbor, that’s a pretty good way to get exposed. 

If I wear my mask at said grocery store but wipe my eyes after touching the debit card keypad, that’s probably not ideal. This is a highly communicable virus, there are a number of ways to get it even if you’re doing a lot of things right. 

Very good points. Along with masks, I wish the message would get back to washing your hands and not touching your face. I think over the last few months those 2 points have been lost in all of this 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Very good points. Along with masks, I wish the message would get back to washing your hands and not touching your face. I think over the last few months those 2 points have been lost in all of this 

In my classroom we have a huge gallon jug of sanitizer and are having kids use it every time they enter the room.  Handwashing is better though

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

High school kids don't wear them very much outside of school. My wife tells me she will see them all hanging around someone's car after school and they have all taken their masks off and they are terrible about staying distanced at lunch time when they are allowed to take them off inside.

That's definitely one reason cases are spreading...they teenagers and younger college-aged crowd don't really wear them....they'll spread it to older people. People are also staying inside more now that the weather is colder.

But I thought they said that schools and kids  were not a huge spreader of this?

20 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I'm truly fascinated by the geographic leaf drop variations.  

I was at my inlaws in Old Lyme CT yesterday.  They have Oaks.  They are much more south than where I live in EMA.  Why are their leaves down 100% while we sit here at 50%.  Could it be rainfall rates between the two areas?   

I think Kevin said he visited Scooters area and was shocked how many leaves were still up. 

Sea spray/salt in the air from TS Isias?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

But I thought they said that schools and kids  were not a huge spreader of this?

That's true for younger kids, but not as much for the high school aged and college aged kids. They still transmit pretty effectively. Might not be as efficient as a 45 year old, but pretty close it seems from the prelim papers. The elementary school aged kids seem to only transmit at half the rate and toddlers even less.

I'll also add that the spreading seems to be done outside of school more than in it. There was that study from CT a month back or so that showed a ton of transmission is occurring in carpool settings and after-school gatherings.

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My daughter's college campus in Rhode Island is hard core with the mask wearing. I went down there last week to take her to lunch and every kid walking around outside had masks on. EVERY ONE OF THEM.  The covid cases are some of the lowest when it comes to college campuses (There was a parent briefing back in the late summer discussing the measures that the school was going to go through to deal with the virus, and it was pretty extensive and thorough). When the cases come along they are dealt with swiftly. I am not sure what that mean by "swiftly), but you don't hear about them again after a few days.  (It is Rhode Island so maybe there's a mafia thing going on. :P)

34 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

And sanitizer. I see so many people with filthy masks touching them and then their faces and surfaces. Totally defeats the purpose. That's why I have been saying the messaging is all messed up now.

• Like 2