Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

8 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

A bit late to the party, but having kids was/ is great.  Me and my (now ex) wife had both of our children at our early 30’s. I am 50 now and my daughter is 20, and my son is 18.  Those early years of wonder and excitement with children are amazing…The toddler years through 12 or so.  Unfortunately for me I went through a prolonged dark period that I think prevented me from really taking full advantage of some of those fun time periods.  I did my best, and I think that both of them turned out o.k.

As far as the work aspect goes, for the most part I think many of us are not completely happy with the work choices we have made. Juggling work choices and family are not easy, and if you are stuck doing work that you are not happy with it makes the journey tougher.  Many times it is too late…We are sent out on the conveyor belt of college…work…family, and before you know it, decades have passed by at warp speed, and you find yourself feeling unfulfilled, and wondering what just happened, where did the time go, etc.  As noted here, some people don’t take that path.  They are able to go down that less traveled, back woods, tree filled slope, and find happiness (with or without kids/ family).  That was not my path.  For me, work 9-5 and family seemed like the mission that I had to accept whether I wanted it or not. I don’t regret it, but I do wish there was a bit more guidance, particularly on the working front

Right after college we moved to DC, and lived there for over 3 years.  The plan was always to make it back to New England to be near family, so when the time was right we came back and lived outside of Boston. Right on schedule we had kids, and kept moving forward at a breakneck pace.  Architecture was not the best choice for me, but I took the grueling 9 part exam, and am licensed. Like most professional fields of work it is nowhere near asglamorous it seems.  There was even a point where I thought I was going to break away from it...

I have always wanted the simple life of owning a small pub, or bed and breakfast type of establishment, but it just was not in the cards.  After my brother died in 2004 my wife and I embarked on a 3 month northeast tour to find bed and breakfast that we could own.  The journey was unsuccessful, and ended with us moving from the Boston area to Connecticut.  I often wonder about these types of choices, and how things would be different if I did this, or did that.

The choice of having kids is a HUGE one, a game changer.  For some it is not the right move.  I am extremely happy that children are a part of my life.  Other life choices not so much, but if I went back in time, I would still have children.

Real talk. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

He posted immediately post op but I also have some concerns. I hope he’s ok-probably in Lala land for awhile 

Yo kids. Thanks for thinking of me. Home now, covid/pneumonia scare had me stay 2 extra days. Fever and high WBC but nothing after all. Wednesday we part 2. 

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

How long ago you take the ARE?  It’s 6 exams now and my wife is 1/2 way thru now and I’ll be taking it once she’s finished, most likely next year.  Little late to that party, but if I’m looking to take over for my boss, I have to take the exams.

I literally finished it on the last day before it went from 9 to 6 parts (I think June 09)  If I didn't finish it when I did I would have had overlap and would have had to take parts over again. It would have sucked more than it did.

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:
I’m glad you’re doing well! Go under the knife on Tuesday for my hernia. 

Oh brother. I'm looking at a third hernia surgery. My last repair from last year may have failed. Gotta call surgeon this week.

I have another one too, procrastinating this time, last time I was in pain when I moved in certain positions so I did it soon as I could. My brother just had one that failed too. Sucks when it fails.

I have another one too, procrastinating this time, last time I was in pain when I moved in certain positions so I did it soon as I could. My brother just had one that failed too. Sucks when it fails.
They just suck and there's never a good time for the surgery for me. Snowmobile season coming, so could wait till spring, but then cycling season starts again. I'm hoping it's not a failure but I've had that nagging off and on pain with dragging feeling. PCP said she felt it the other day when I coughed. No buldge that I can see so maybe she was feeling the hernia pushing against the mesh who knows