• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish

September 2020 Discussion

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn, radios going wild.  35-year-old male went into Binghams Falls up here by the ski area, hasn’t resurfaced in at least 10 minutes.  Multiple agencies responding including Stowe Mountain Rescue and Colchester Technical Rescue over by BTV... having trouble getting a dive team together due to some rescuers being out of the area.

Last fatality there was winter 2018-19 when someone slipped and fell in and wasn’t found for a day or so underwater.  Fak.

Damn!  I am so fooking careful around fast running water and waterfalls.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS will run to 35 days out at 00z. That will take forever though. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do think this new GEFS won't finish as early as it used to despite starting earlier. The stats do show an improvement and it would be nice for the GEFS to be more competitive with the EPS.  I have not been impressed at all with both the euro op and ensemble this summer. 

35 days...lol. Metfan will be in his glory. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

35 days...lol. Metfan will be in his glory. 

Weenies gone wild this winter. But honestly, 35 days out? Tracking the effects of Ray's fart permutations in the atmosphere has as much skill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Damn!  I am so fooking careful around fast running water and waterfalls.

Yeah the gorges and falls are scary... 20-30 foot chasms into swift water with all sorts of weird hydro forces.  It’s usually mossy and slick on the sides.

Sounded like they found him and pronounced it on scene as they asked over radio for a body bag for transport back to the road.  I absolutely hate when people die in these beautiful spots.  Hits home at how easy even going to get some fall foliage photos in a scenic spot can turn into a nightmare.  

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Damn, radios going wild.  35-year-old male went into Binghams Falls up here by the ski area, hasn’t resurfaced in at least 10 minutes.  Multiple agencies responding including Stowe Mountain Rescue and Colchester Technical Rescue over by BTV... having trouble getting a dive team together due to some rescuers being out of the area.

Last fatality there was winter 2018-19 when someone slipped and fell in and wasn’t found for a day or so underwater.  Fak.

A woman drowned Saturday on Flagstaff Lake, recovery only yesterday afternoon.  Three people and a dog motoring their canoe back to their campsite from visiting an island, water got rough as the campsite was on a lee shore and they capsized.  PFDs in the canoe but no one wearing.  The 2 men each grabbed one that was floating nearby but the woman, 31 yo, headed for shore without.  The lake is about 18 miles long so it doesn't take a whole lot of wind to build up the surf.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL. I’ll remember this when we are posting day 10 total Kuchera snow maps.

I hope you’re right.... but to be fair, all hyperbole aside, there has been a definite slant to dry for that period over the last day or so.

And with that image burned into my mind, pretty nice day with a high of 71F off the morning low of 37F.

Classic fall... 30s at night and into the 70s in the afternoon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

A woman drowned Saturday on Flagstaff Lake, recovery only yesterday afternoon.  Three people and a dog motoring their canoe back to their campsite from visiting an island, water got rough as the campsite was on a lee shore and they capsized.  PFDs in the canoe but no one wearing.  The 2 men each grabbed one that was floating nearby but the woman, 31 yo, headed for shore without.  The lake is about 18 miles long so it doesn't take a whole lot of wind to build up the surf.

There's a place in upstate New York that has a similar falls, they have a sign, don't swim, people have drowned due to the undercurrent, yet every year some dumb ass jumps in and drowns, I forget the number of people but it was quite a lot, mostly college kids, it was a college town.

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

There's a place in upstate New York that has a similar falls, they have a sign, don't swim, people have drowned due to the undercurrent, yet every year some dumb ass jumps in and drowns, I forget the number of people but it was quite a lot, mostly college kids, it was a college town.

The narrow chasms are so dangerous... if you fall in, slip or trip, it’s game over.  First you have to survive the the initial fall but then hydraulics pin you underwater against rock walls... just terrifying.

Huntington Gorge over in Richmond VT is notorious too as they have a plaque that is now double sided with names of people who have died there.  Even State Police dive team members have died trying to pull other bodies out...really awful stuff.