• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weatherlvr
    Newest Member
    Weatherlvr

September 2020 Discussion

55 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So you’re arguing a time when lifespans were <40 and a cut from a fungal infused branch you incurred while clearing from your lot and died from was better?   

I'm not "arguing" anything - 

But, that < 40 statement is a falesy ...and so is that relative rare phenomenon that still claims lives today anyway - another false equivalency -

I'm not saying life expectancy hasn't benefitted - I was talking about the 'entitlement' and its ugliness.  

There needs to be some sort of concerted virtuosity involved in the advantages that tech provides ... but no sooner than we evolve this wonder as a species...it's schemed -

24 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I thought it's daylight that makes more of an impact on when the leaves turn versus temps 

It is daylight, but if you have the cool/cold nights like we just had for 5-6 days in a row that certainly helps too.   Quite a bit of color showing up here in inland CT already this early fall. Leaves are definitely going to peak early this year; and way earlier than last year. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I thought it's daylight that makes more of an impact on when the leaves turn versus temps 

Warm and cold stretches can prolong or hasten the season. The daylight loss is obviously the catalyst and main driver, but temps do modulate the season somewhat. Maybe 1-2 weeks at most.

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Interesting to read this as part of the Drought update. D4

Capture.thumb.JPG.06adfeb997753c84a18d7b2198026e03.JPG

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Damn we’re in D4?

I've been following the drought conditions up there and it's quite alarming in my opinion.  I did some digging on climate statistics and this is what I came up with:

Boston is experiencing its 9th driest year on record thru 9/24 since when records began in 1936. It's also currently the 2nd driest Sept on record (0.35"), behind only 1957 (0.46"). Providence is experiencing its driest Sept since records began in 1932. It is also tied for the 5th driest year on record for Providence through September 24th (not including 1932 where records are missing).

Hopefully the expected rain on Monday helps alleviate some of that.

• Sad 1

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but  the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

• Sad 1

Just now, It's Always Sunny said:

I've been following the drought conditions up there and it's quite alarming in my opinion.  I did some digging on climate statistics and this is what I came up with:

Boston is experiencing its 9th driest year on record thru 9/24 since when records began in 1936. It's also currently the 2nd driest Sept on record (0.35"), behind only 1957 (0.46"). Providence is experiencing its driest Sept since records began in 1932. It is also tied for the 5th driest year on record for Providence through September 24th (not including 1932 where records are missing).

Hopefully the expected rain on Monday helps alleviate some of that.

We have been living your forum name. :lol: 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's a shallow well so it needs groundwater. I have no frame of reference for how full the basin should look so maybe it will be fine. I am getting nervous however.

Hopefully you just need to get to next Tue/Wed. Looks like a good set up for inches of water.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but  the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

but they said it will never rain again!

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Someone in the northeast is gonna go from Stein to mudslides. That’s a great heavy rain setup. It will favor west initially, but between the front is a slow mover. Could have a low develop offshore too and bring rains to eastern spots towards day 8-10ish.

Yeah there is a great moisture fetch from the Gulf that should fuel this fropa.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Hopefully you just need to get to next Tue/Wed. Looks like a good set up for inches of water.

Yeah, trying to line up getting water delivered and dumped into the well. That would tide us over. I will be getting a drilled well put in at this point. They are backlogged to December however. 

• Like 2

This reminds me in the winter when it’s modeled to get cold and snowy days 8-10. Then that day 8-10 gets pushed out to the next day 8-10 and on and on. Before you know it, the snow and cold vanished and everything stayed west of the apps and Tip is posting about warm car seats tickling his package .This initially was Sunday night into Tuesday. Now it’s Thursday into the weekend. I wonder how this ends 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol where would that be?

Well seeing as I’m chatting with Phin about his well...

I’m not shook, I feel pretty good about a slow moving boundary, tropical moisture and mountains all interacting together.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Well seeing as I’m chatting with Phin about his well...

I’m not shook, I feel pretty good about a slow moving boundary, tropical moisture and mountains all interacting together.

Stein showing who’s boss 

Appears most New England spots could see at least 0.5" which won't do much. What's interesting is 2"+ rains are not even hinted at on GEFS over Catskills/Adirondaks/northern interior New England.

image.thumb.png.570e334d5a8a1c34b291ba2dc695e30b.pngimage.thumb.png.1d184de9a42b9ce76c42555d667288f8.png

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

I know that many think of Columbus Day as usually the peak but I don't think that's always been true.  We picked our wedding date 20 years ago, September 29th, because that always seemed closer to the regular peak, if there is such a thing.  I'm not sure if there is any data that could really back this up, just my memories through the years.   

Normally down here Columbus weekend is peak or near peak, this year I don't think so. I drove through the higher terrain over through Stratton today on my way down to HVN and the reds are really popping, especially for Sept 24th, I mean some spots looked really nice.  I think we'll be past even down here by Columbus Day.  Even some decent Maples on I- 91 down throug Mass changing.

Oops my bad DIT put on the bench of the Extreme team, with the season running out quickly he might not make the varsity

20200924_163115.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oops my bad DIT put on the bench of the Extreme team, with the season running out quickly he might not make the varsity

20200924_163115.jpg

His obs come from BDL  he's  still good :)

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, trying to line up getting water delivered and dumped into the well. That would tide us over. I will be getting a drilled well put in at this point. They are backlogged to December however. 

It is a shame your house did not come with a large tank of some sort that held water into which you could have jumped occasionally.

46 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Normally down here Columbus weekend is peak or near peak, this year I don't think so. I drove through the higher terrain over through Stratton today on my way down to HVN and the reds are really popping, especially for Sept 24th, I mean some spots looked really nice.  I think we'll be past even down here by Columbus Day.  Even some decent Maples on I- 91 down throug Mass changing.

It’s insane all the sudden.  Foliage is just cranking in the past 72 hours.  At this rate it’ll all be over in a week, lol.

The worst foliage is actually above 3,000ft, just bland like that sub-ridge in the back you can barely make out in this photo.  The mid-slope hardwoods and even down into town the reds are incredible all the sudden.  Just full bright red.

0D1ECFA4-6BE8-4A27-B80D-C5C66DFEE086.thumb.jpeg.a55a011ba516460ddb6841d556776bcb.jpeg
6CCDFF52-7983-4632-8059-188B25A34073.thumb.jpeg.09b2b50e8f8f39c7f1e35d29782d79c2.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And the alternatives and stimuli offered up by technological modernity offer so much more appealing alternatives to feeling accomplished and basing internal spiritual wealth on a pattern of substantive achievement therefrom. 

wrong: it is an illusion - all of society is based on a vapid participation trophy for that matter.

societies of western Industrial derivatives ... man, if it wasn't for the fact that 'morality' and 'virtuality' are also, in themselve, merely human perception-constructs ( that bear no significance to the natural order of reality outside of our own immediate sentience-necessity ...) I'd say all these cultural ilks that derive pleasure and distraction by means of technological orgies are in desperate need of an asteroid impact to force feed them a fragility reminder/humility.  The vibe of 'entitlement' that proliferates all interactions at all scope and scales, in the gearing of societies of these convenience-addling ilk ... it's really ugly man.  

You know, that's high-brow ... 25$ words to describe a petty entitlement that happens once populations get used to electricity and other conveniences- but there really is truth to it.. 

I was joking in case it wasn't clear and agree with much of what you said.  (FWIW until the ground freezes I would rather spend my free time moving rocks on our land than be inside and once the snow hits there are remarks made that I spend too much time hand shoveling our 110 yd driveway.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s insane all the sudden.  Foliage is just cranking in the past 72 hours.  At this rate it’ll all be over in a week, lol.

The worst foliage is actually above 3,000ft, just bland like that sub-ridge in the back you can barely make out in this photo.  The mid-slope hardwoods and even down into town the reds are incredible all the sudden.  Just full bright red.

0D1ECFA4-6BE8-4A27-B80D-C5C66DFEE086.thumb.jpeg.a55a011ba516460ddb6841d556776bcb.jpeg
6CCDFF52-7983-4632-8059-188B25A34073.thumb.jpeg.09b2b50e8f8f39c7f1e35d29782d79c2.jpeg

I thought we were told the freezing temps we had were going to dull the foliage

Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

I thought we were told the freezing temps we had were going to dull the foliage

Ha, photographer’s orgy out there right now.  Can’t take enough photos.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

I thought we were told the freezing temps we had we're going to dull the foliage

I was just going to post that..ha

Maybe it will shorten the peak, who knows. It certainly isnt dulling any colors. Stuff is intense right now.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I was just going to post that..ha

Maybe it will shorten the peak, who knows. It certainly isnt dulling any colors. Stuff is intense right now.

Early hard freezes tend to do both. Dulls the color some and shortens the season. That prob wouldn’t affect powderfreak’s mid-slope pics because they didn’t freeze I don’t think. They would actually get enhanced color because “near-freeze” nights and sunny days bring out more oranges and reds. 

But lower down it might be more noticeable. Doesn’t mean it cancels the foliage season...just makes it less and shorter than it otherwise would have been.