• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

Interesting that the NWS has Brooklyn at 45-46 mph. The amount of damage and trees down in my neighborhood would say that my station wasn’t wrong . I’m at 30 ft off the ground and pretty accurate. 
my station shows the highest 15 min average at 54 mph and a gust up to 74 mph. Huge trees don’t come down at 45-46 mph.

CBE18327-DE1C-4774-9C47-3AC876AC2BA4.jpeg

944183E2-6A9D-4459-A55B-95BCAF100C42.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

Interesting that the NWS has Brooklyn at 45-46 mph. The amount of damage and trees down in my neighborhood would say that my station wasn’t wrong . I’m at 30 ft off the ground and pretty accurate. 
my station shows the highest 15 min average at 54 mph and a gust up to 74 mph. Huge trees don’t come down at 45-46 mph.

I think your station is more believable 

Alot of trees down here where I also live in Sheepshead  Bay.

How would you rank all the tropical systems you experienced ?

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

• Weenie 1

43 minutes ago, Rjay said:

20200805_081501.jpg

A house on my street was very lucky when a tree like that fell on the house but not the trunk. And I just checked out my immediate neighborhood. 

36 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

There must have been widespread gusts into the 70s given the amount of tree damage. Big trees like these wouldn’t come down with gusts barely over 60. And the ground wasn’t especially saturated-we had little rain East of the track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

1. Sandy 2. Isaias 3. Irene 4. Isabel 

55 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There must have been widespread gusts into the 70s given the amount of tree damage. Big trees like these wouldn’t come down with gusts barely over 60. And the ground wasn’t especially saturated-we had little rain East of the track. 

Along or near the immediate shore, especially in LI, there were widespread gusts over 70.  But inland I think it was mostly lower than that.  60 mph gusts over the course of a few hours can definitely bring down large trees, especially with full summer foliage.  

19 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Along or near the immediate shore, especially in LI, there were widespread gusts over 70.  But inland I think it was mostly lower than that.  60 mph gusts over the course of a few hours can definitely bring down large trees, especially with full summer foliage.  

On the daily climate report they have the highest gust for EWR at 68 mph. I'm sure many inland areas saw something similar based on some of the pictures I saw of Clifton, Passaic, Jersey City, etc.

43 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

1. Sandy 2. Irene 3. Isaias

Water wise Irene is tops, dumped 1/2ft here. Wind wise Sandy (clocked 98mph wind gust) is far ahead and Isaias (58mph) right behind. Could have been heckva alot worse if I had not had a generator for all 3 storms.

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

Sandy.  Obvious 

gloria. A true hurricane with major tree damage and surge 

Irene. Surge puts Irene on top of Isaias, tree damage similar

Isaias. Tree damage but limited coastal impacts

Floyd

Bob

Ernesto

It’s only a mater of time before a storm makes all of these look like a walk in the park. I have a feeling we aren’t finished this year 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

1. Sandy
2. Irene
3. Isaias
4. Fay

Sandy, Irene, Isaias, Fay

Irene goes ahead of Isaias for me because it brought significant flooding as well. both urban street flooding and river flooding. I've seen the Bronx river flood many times but Irene may have been the most I can remember seeing it outside its banks. 

18 minutes ago, eduggs said:

FRG is about 6 miles inland and gusted to 78, ISP is also 5-6 miles inland, gusted to 69. Stonybrook on the north shore of suffolk gusted to 75. So Long Island had widespread winds 70+, even inland

20 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Monday for me :axe:

it can't be good here

Lost power for about 6 hours here in northern Somerset county. Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones since I heard others might be out until Mon. :yikes:

• Like 1

Sandy

Irene

Isaias

Floyd 

Bob (eh)

Everything else was meh.

**Too young for Gloria.  I was 2 yesrs old. That would probably be #2 if I were a bit older.  

We need @uncle W's list.  

• Like 1

Sandy (living in Long Beach which was devastated)

Isaias (wind)

Irene (wind was maybe a little less, but surge much higher)

Below this-Floyd, Bertha, etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

FRG is about 6 miles inland and gusted to 78, ISP is also 5-6 miles inland, gusted to 69. Stonybrook on the north shore of suffolk gusted to 75. So Long Island had widespread winds 70+, even inland

You kind of make my point.  Only a few areas, relatively near shore, on a large island heavily exposed to southerly winds off the Ocean, reported 70 mph+.  LI is a very exposed piece of land, and was particularly exposed in this setup.  The majority of the NYC metro saw max gusts below 70 mph, which was still sufficient to cause widespread damage.

3 hours ago, mob1 said:

On the daily climate report they have the highest gust for EWR at 68 mph. I'm sure many inland areas saw something similar based on some of the pictures I saw of Clifton, Passaic, Jersey City, etc.

I'm sure there were some high 60s and isolated low 70s in many towns and cities close to the shore.  But I think if 70 mph+ plus was widespread inland the damage would have been much more extensive.  There were many downed trees, but the damage I saw clearly reflected sub hurricane force winds.  And the limited wind data we have doesn't offer much support for widespread higher gusts.

• Like 1