• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW

April Discobs 2020

I can’t complain having an April that didn’t require AC.  I wish we could hold onto the cool cloudy weather longer but only 7 months to November.  It’s practically here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Radar looks good for a nice rainy evening. Still pretty chilly here. It seems like the warm front pushed through then retreated an hour later. It looks like i had .53"ish last night and this morning. it's only 55 degrees. Might have to start a little fire in my woodstove this evening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Winds switching to NNE and temp down to 45 . Parts of the northeast should get some very late season snow tonight :snowing:

In addition to the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins, it's another good reason not to be in New England.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

In addition to the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins, it's another good reason not to be in New England.

Ha, I just said the same thing to my partner who’s from NH. He was reading the forecast of snow for Manchester for tonight — and I told him we will never move further north. Late April snow? Pass. 

• Haha 1

^U guys are cut from different cloth then me. I'll take any snow any time.  It's a precious commodity.  Partly Cloudy and 65 or  sunny and 85 are a dime a dozen :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

^U guys are cut from different cloth then me. I'll take any snow any time.  It's a precious commodity.  Partly Cloudy and 65 or  sunny and 85 are a dime a dozen :whistle:

I’d take a snow here, it just that in NE the trees aren’t even leafing out. Their mud season hasn’t even started yet. Give me spring, but you can toss in a good snow too.

• Like 1

It just refuses to be spring like.  And I'm sure 90s will happen soon.

• Like 1

this weather sucks

• Like 2

So, I consider 50's and 60's spring and fall, with rain and clouds 3 or 4 out of 7 days for the week. It HAS been spring for a long time, since like January. 70's and up are summer, 40's and lower is winter.

• Like 2

Can the weekend get here?

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 77.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

It just refuses to be spring like.  And I'm sure 90s will happen soon.

Watch DCA hit 90 before May 10th.

It's worth checking out the overnight runs of the HRRR.    All of them have some healthy reflectivity signals for later this afternoon over most of Maryland east of the Potomac.    The freezing levels are really low, so if this is right, these would be showers with likely graupel or small hail.      It's worth noting that I haven't seen nearly as good of a signal in the other hi-res models, but the HRRR is consistent.....

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:47 AM, RDM said:

Good morning, If you haven't done so already, try cleaning the solar array with a rag and water periodically (if you can easily access it).  Suggest not using windex or anything with a solvent in it.  The ammonia may do more harm than good on the plastic cover over the array.  I clean mine every couple months now.  It helps some, or so it seems.  But the cloudiness of the plastic cover is getting worse and at some point I'll need to have the array replaced (if that's an option) or just buy a new unit.  Davis is probably betting on the 2nd option on purpose.  

You can buy a replacement cover here:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/housing-parts/davis-7345-114-pro2-iss-sim-solar-panel-front-cover/

Or just the panel:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-vue-parts/davis-7011-017-vantage-vue-solar-panel/

This is just a casual observation, absolutely not scientific in any way, but it seems like we go from overcast and 47 degrees to full summer a lot quicker since the early 2000s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Chilly and overcast. How novel:rolleyes:

It feels like highs in the 70s are the most elusive thing around here (Balitmore area) that people think happen all the time...

We go through quite a few days each March - mid-May where we are the wrong side of a wedge and while there may be days with 70s all over central VA they never seem to get here in the same frequency. But we do great zooming from this kind of weather to 88 and above so we go that going for us...

This weather is garbage. No doubt we'll go straight from miserable to torching. Cant have us enjoying a week of 75 and sun.

• Like 1

Mount Holly AFD-

Convection is expected on Thursday afternoon and Thursday evening in advance of a cold front approaching from the west. There could be some moderate to heavy rainfall at that time. Much of eastern Pennsylvania, northeastern Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey may receive an inch or two of rain with locally higher amounts possible. A robust low level southerly jet (50+ knots) is anticipated. Its axis may be off the coast before the convection arrives. However, the strong wind profile along with some low level directional shear could result in some organized storms with strong wind gusts in our region.

The bolded sounds familiar. Pretty much what happened with this last "event". Some other dynamics appear to be in place for this one though.

We shall see. Potential for some heavy rain exists.