• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    shawanta003
    Newest Member
    shawanta003
George BM

April Discobs 2020

i have learned the hard way, unless you can bring plants inside, dont go planting anything until mothers day

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Amped said:

"Don't think I've seen anything like this"

A phase uttered daily when reviewing the GFS

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

i have learned the hard way, unless you can bring plants inside, dont go planting anything until mothers day

I normally don't until early May, but it literally looked and felt like we were in Spring by mid February. I planted some annuals just a week or so ago. I shall have to cover up a few of my "tender plants" I suppose.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I normally don't until early May, but it literally looked and felt like we were in Spring by mid February. I planted some annuals just a week or so ago. I shall have to cover up a few of my "tender plants" I suppose.

Usually here we get freezes up to end of April and frosts I can remember up to around May 15th sometimes 

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

we have some in pots, so i just keep bringing them in. i didnt even put them out today, they get enough sun near a window. poppies and daisies. kiddo cannot wait until they start sprouting so we can transplant them to other larger pots on the deck :)

skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Usually here we get freezes up to end of April and frosts I can remember up to around May 15th sometimes 

yup, thats why i usually shoot for mothers day to get plants in the ground.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

we have some in pots, so i just keep bringing them in. i didnt even put them out today, they get enough sun near a window. poppies and daisies. kiddo cannot wait until they start sprouting so we can transplant them to other larger pots on the deck :)

skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

I just bought plants yesterday for my deck, but didn't pot them yet so I can bring those in. The ones out in the yard I will just cover.

5 hours ago, mappy said:

If you want an early spring plant that handles cold really well try potatoes. I've got 100 pounds of potatoes in the ground right now. They have been emerging for the past week. They'll do fine even with frost. If damaged the potato will shoot out new shoots. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Everybody along and east of i81 corridor gets a freeze warning tonight

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
908 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

DCZ001-MDZ011-013-014-016>018-504-VAZ053-054-057-170915-
/O.EXA.KLWX.FZ.W.0003.200417T0400Z-200417T1300Z/
District of Columbia-Southern Baltimore-Prince Georges-
Anne Arundel-Charles-St. Marys-Calvert-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Fairfax-
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-King George-
Including the cities of Washington, Baltimore, Bowie,
Suitland-Silver Hill, Clinton, College Park, Greenbelt, Laurel,
Camp Springs, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Severn, South Gate,
Severna Park, Arnold, Odenton, St. Charles, Waldorf,
Lexington Park, California, Chesapeake Beach, Huntingtown,
Dunkirk, North Beach, Lusby, Prince Frederick, Bethesda,
Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Reston, Herndon,
Annandale, Centreville, Chantilly, McLean, Franconia, Arlington,
Alexandria, Falls Church, and Dahlgren
908 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 30 degrees expected.

* WHERE...The Baltimore-Washington metropolitan corridor as well
  as southern Maryland and King George County Virginia

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 9 AM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
  sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
  plumbing.

7 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just bought plants yesterday for my deck, but didn't pot them yet so I can bring those in. The ones out in the yard I will just cover.

That’s good. Glad you can cover them. 

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

If you want an early spring plant that handles cold really well try potatoes. I've got 100 pounds of potatoes in the ground right now. They have been emerging for the past week. They'll do fine even with frost. If damaged the potato will shoot out new shoots. 

Oh that’s good! Glad you’ll get a nice haul

1 hour ago, mappy said:

That’s good. Glad you can cover them. 

Oh that’s good! Glad you’ll get a nice haul

That's seed potatoes. The haul should be 800-1000 pounds. This cold might delay harvest this year if it kills off the emerging seedlings. 

Coldest temperature since March 8th. Currenly 29F here. Feels weird seeing all the green trees around me. Definitely near hard freeze territory.

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

30.  Frost on the pumpkin. 

:lol:

Has anyone else noticed how much clearer the evening and night sky has been the last couple of weeks? Out walking last night particularly reminded me of fall. I guess because the skies naturally look clearer in October compared to August, but the lack of pollution now is even way better than that difference.

Venus has been spectacular without the light of the moon the last few nights.

16 hours ago, mappy said:

...skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

Not too late to get a butterfly garden started!  Get a couple butterfly bushes (I recommend "Miss Violet" - just 3-4 feet, full and nice purple color), a couple lantana, some zinnias and annual vinca from the garden center around mid-May.  Deer and rabbits will mostly leave all of those things alone, and the annual vinca flower all the way to frost.  If you want monarch caterpillars, look for some milkweed plants.

33 when I got up in Germantown -- no ice on the birdbath but some frost.  Snow for our NE forum folks huh?  They can have it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Not too late to get a butterfly garden started!  Get a couple butterfly bushes (I recommend "Miss Violet" - just 3-4 feet, full and nice purple color), a couple lantana, some zinnias and annual vinca from the garden center around mid-May.  Deer and rabbits will mostly leave all of those things alone, and the annual vinca flower all the way to frost.  If you want monarch caterpillars, look for some milkweed plants.

33 when I got up in Germantown -- no ice on the birdbath but some frost.  Snow for our NE forum folks huh?  They can have it.

oh thank you! ill have to see if i can pick them up from a local place in the new few weeks. 

are those annuals or perennials? my garden space is also our burn pit for brush and stuff, so i can only plant things in the space that die after the season. no long-term stuff there. that was the compromise with mr map lol

Got down to 30 here.  Not sure if it was enough to kill the skeeters, but it ought to at least make them sluggish for a while.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

oh thank you! ill have to see if i can pick them up from a local place in the new few weeks. 

are those annuals or perennials? my garden space is also our burn pit for brush and stuff, so i can only plant things in the space that die after the season. no long-term stuff there. that was the compromise with mr map lol

The butterfly bush is perennial, all the rest are annuals.  If you only want annuals, I'd go with some taller zinnias and milkweeds with the smaller anual vinca in front.  I love those annual vincas -- they look kinda like impatiens but are for the sun and rabbits won't touch them.

My garden attracts lots of butterflies and bees between the coneflowers, butterfly bush, Shasta daisies, and the coreopsis. All perennials. I usually have to prune the butterfly bush to keep in check each season.

43 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The butterfly bush is perennial, all the rest are annuals.  If you only want annuals, I'd go with some taller zinnias and milkweeds with the smaller anual vinca in front.  I love those annual vincas -- they look kinda like impatiens but are for the sun and rabbits won't touch them.

Thanks, good to know!

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

My garden attracts lots of butterflies and bees between the coneflowers, butterfly bush, Shasta daisies, and the coreopsis. All perennials. I usually have to prune the butterfly bush to keep in check each season.

yeah, we have a decent size garden along our deck that has a ton of butterfly friendly plants. bee balm, blackeye susans, day lillies, etc. we too just prune them each year. 

but i have my own dedicated veggie garden space, but decided this year i didn't want to do veggies. we always grow way too much and they go uneaten despite how often i give to friends. so wanted to do something different this year.

CFSv2 advertising a warmer than normal pattern starting by the end of May. I expect the first half of May to be above normal temperature wise. Not sure about the 2nd half, that's too far away. CFSv2 is also advertising a warm pattern throughout the whole month of May

• Like 1