Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Patience will be a virtue this week. The PNA doesn't really shift until almost as that 1/18-19 event is happening. So anything up to that point including the 1/18 threat is very susceptible to westward solutions. 

The good news for 1/18 tough is that the antecedent airmass is good and there's like a 1040 high preceding it so that is a decent setup for a good thump even on a somewhat ugly track. 

Didn’t like Scooters post thought about EPS shifting milder each successive run

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Didn’t like Scooters post thought about EPS shifting milder each successive run

Previous runs were redeveloping the low well south of us. Didn't seem very likely based on the pattern. I think the front ender triple point over the cape scenario is more realistic. 

But there's a long way to go for that one. Still 7+ days out. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Previous runs were redeveloping the low well south of us. Didn't seem very likely based on the pattern. I think the front ender triple point over the cape scenario is more realistic. 

But there's a long way to go for that one. Still 7+ days out. 

Either way though no? We have said a cutter is not off the table for this window...

Just now, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Either way though no? We have said a cutter is not off the table for this window...

Yeah but kevin doesn't really listen to us when we say that. Tends to block it out...though it looks like he's back on the reverse psychology train talking about rains to Maine. 

I'll just say that 1/18 has more going for it than just about any storm recently. Not exactly a high bar to clear but there's a good high out ahead of it so t wouldn't take much to get some good snows....it could still redevelop south of us off NJ too...I just wouldn't bet on that at the moment. I'd be more on the SWFE front ender train. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Jesus I could not be more careful with my words and people still jump. :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Words like “lots of time left” and “ not sure I’d be all in” aren’t exactly ones to instill confidence.  The point was that it’s not a lock to be a widespread snow. I’m not sure what else I could have said.

What you said was fine..it was perfectly understood by most everyone except one guy from Tolland, that always needs to be reassure that it’s a “Snower”  7-8 days out.  It’s just incredibly poor reading comprehension on his part.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

What you said was fine..it was perfectly understood by most everyone except one guy from Tolland, that always needs to be reassure that it’s a “Snower”  7-8 days out.  It’s just incredibly poor reading comprehension on his part.

And maybe it goes East again. Chicago is the latest in the last minute East shuffle.

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.. at least first half of March. Some signs the NAO may not take that long.

Take a look at the 12z operational Euro ... and note days 7 - 10 on that run, from SE of Hawaii all the way around to S of Bermuda off the U.S. SE Coast along/within that lower latitude belt.

Notice the heights are falling ( finally) ..shedding some +4 + +6 dm anomalies ? 

That is a recession of the Hadely Cell modeled in the dailies right there... and I suggest the NAO starts to show some signs of switching modes ( or more sustainably/chances in doing so..) if/when that happens, because that in the deep south, in a transitive sense, will couple with a the AO and begin to pull that index down, with relaxing(er) mid latitude flows, and the onset of blocking also over Kamch., Alaska across the polar arc to Scandinavia et al actually...  

That's the integral. The AO having wended it's way demonstratively positive the way it has, is purely a function of the previous HC invading the lower Ferrel Cell... and guess what, we now see a very robust phase 7-8-1-2 in the MJO from all agency.  These phases tend to correlate with the -AO, as they lend to storm/cyclone field activation along the interface of the HC/Ferrel cell latitudes... basically, 40th parallel ( ;) ) ... and that means the Ferrel trade/Easterlies along 60 N are enhanced... and that's also concomitant with -AO.  Starting to see the puzzle come together, and when I saw that balloon pop and deflate on the 12z Euro...that was like canary in the coal mine I was looking for -

Yeah, February is a whole 'nother paradigm if these signals continue to emerge - they'll parlay into very interesting verifications. And it may happen before the end of this month, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1