Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

13 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Tip....thanks for the the excellent explanations about how cc is expanding the Hadley Cells and making it harder to keep it cold enough to snow at our latitude.  I completely agree with everything that you have said.  It does seem as if people want to just live in the moment and ignore the bigger picture.  I guess it's a mental survival instinct lol.  Pretty scary big picture if you ask me.  

The impetus there was "...My hypothesis .."   

The Hadley Cell stuff, ..yeah, that is bigger than me and my speculations: it is heavily scienced(ing) and on-going, and papered, and is unilaterally in the current zeitgeist of research  - which is just not as privy at the level/station of social media, no. I have a link on my work PC that connects to a plethora on the subject matter.

But, it's just something I have noticed wrt to our climate... personally. It seems more and more as the years go by, our base-line isn't as dependable; in the absence EPO loading...  Put it this way, we used to be more latitude reliant ...we didn't have to worry as much about mass-cold because we were blessed by Earth's geometry. Heh. That seems to be getting harder to do. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The Hadley Cell stuff, ..yeah, that is bigger than me and my speculations: it is heavily scienced(ing) and on-going, and papered, and is unilaterally in the current zeitgeist of research  - which is just not as privy at the level/station of social media, no. I have a link on my work PC that connects to a plethora on the subject matter.

But, it's just something I have noticed wrt to our climate... personally. It seems more and more as the years go by, our base-line isn't as dependable; in the absence EPO loading...  Put it this way, we used to be more latitude reliant ...we didn't have to worry as much about mass-cold because we were blessed by Earth's geometry. Heh. That seems to be getting harder to do.

This is the thing here.  We’ve had ridiculous warmth in the past but the frequency is what is alarming wrt to CC.  

• Like 1

But, it's just something I have noticed wrt to our climate... personally. It seems more and more as the years go by, our base-line isn't as dependable; in the absence EPO loading...  Put it this way, we used to be more latitude reliant ...we didn't have to worry as much about mass-cold because we were blessed by Earth's geometry. Heh. That seems to be getting harder to do. 

In 100 years, they’ll be saying “40N is the new 30N”. Right now, I guess 40N is the new 39N.

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This is the thing here.  We’ve had ridiculous warmth in the past but the frequency is what is alarming wrt to CC.  

Yeah...more likely than not, and intuitively fitting ... the return rate increased frequency of spike events - as you implied - is causally in the same footing. 

It's just a fact of life and the Earth now... and going forward.

Folks need to get with the program.  This shit's going to get more, not less, common if if if if if the current hockey stick climate shit continues to stink up the works.  If something happens to offset... sure, that discussion takes place.  But right now?  There seem to be two factors with no compensators:  sun, GW ...

By the way, a volcano erupts near the Equator... good start. 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thaw be thaws. You will probably be in a foot of snow this time next week. 

Definitely seems to be the tenor of this winter so far.  Enjoy the snow when you have it and then watch it get beaten back.  

Everytime there’s some winter momentum building, Nature plays the “hold my beer” game lol.

5 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

How did the upper trails hold up?  I’m assuming anything without snowmaking is done for the next few days?

Yeah anything with natural snow cover is done for a bit.  There will be a very firm base layer but so much rain last nigh created all sorts of holes and blow outs as the Mtn drained.  Big deep runnels through the existing snowpack type stuff.  I figure we’ll need a dense foot to really have a shot at getting those trails skiable.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely seems to be the tenor of this winter so far.  Enjoy the snow when you have it and then watch it get beaten back.  

Everytime there’s some winter momentum building, Nature plays the “hold my beer” game lol.

Pretty sure you can lock in the next couple of weeks at least.  I mean you guys have had snow cover since November right

31 minutes ago, Hazey said:

That Thursday/Friday system would be a nice refresher up here too but is it believable? The euro hasn’t exactly been hitting them out of the park this winter.

I feel like it's a bit too amped but it could score the full coup. It's done it before.