Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

20 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

In all seriousness the 1/20 timeframe appears to be a pretty good call 

if anyone can’t figure out the long range clown comments I make are to stir up the ACATT crew when things are zzzz

good to see and active pattern with some cold close by beginning in a week as always w our climo , we roll the dice and see what shakes out 

I'm rebounding nicely from my second seasonal bust last year, but I do wish that I had went with a higher temp departure for January....I need some frigid air during the second half of the month. Extreme monthly temp departures are always a crap shoot, though...I feel its more important to just get the positive vs minus correct, as well as the narrative of the overall seasonal progression. I mean....we weenie tag people for posting clown maps depicting extreme anomalies at day 13, nevermind week 13.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I gotta move up here.  Having breakfast on our way out.  Bumper stickers left and right extolling snow.

Biggest downside to BTV from a snow perspective is that it is awful at snow retention- if that matters to you.

1 minute ago, klw said:

Biggest downside to BTV from a snow perspective is that it is awful at snow retention- if that matters to you.

Yeah the valley there is shockingly bad considering the latitude and the average annual snowfall....it is still going to be a lot better than where he is now, but I am always surprised at how little there is when I drive up there. I often drove from ORH up through N ORH county and SW NH on rt 12 to get to 91 and then 89....I'd leave with full snow cover and not see any low snow cover/bare ground until I reached the Champlain valley west of Richmond or so.

Still...good spot for frequent refreshers and good cold during arctic shots. Reminds me a bit snowier/colder Ithaca, NY climate....lots of smaller snowfalls and great arctic cold shots, but awful snowfall retention given the other two factors. So easily torched on southerly and southwest winds. BTV prob gets more bigger storms than Ithaca too....Ithaca drove me insane after a while....getting a double digit snow event was like pulling teeth. At first, I loved the frequent 1-3" snowfalls but then started loathing them as it kept reminding me of the penny and nickle climate I was in....I couldn't even call it nickle and dime.

• Like 1

heh...if today's any indicator, warm wants might consider this warm up to be stunted into a more vertical sounding orientation and not fully realizing the dry adiabats.  

Maybe... we'll see.  There may be a kind of diffused warm frontal boundary in this and getting S of that tomorrow may open things up a bit, but these clouds jammed in seemingly with sun up and despite the already +4 to +6 at 850 mb, we're 44 and struggling to rise in annoying knuckles-cold

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

heh...if today's any indicator, warm wants might consider this warm up to be stunted into a more vertical sounding orientation and not fully realizing the dry adiabats.  

Maybe... we'll see.  There may be a kind of diffused warm frontal boundary in this and getting S of that tomorrow may open things up a bit, but these clouds jammed in seemingly with sun up and despite the already +4 to +6 at 850 mb, we're 44 and struggling to rise in annoying knuckles-cold

Heh

• Haha 1

The 1/15-16 event still mostly looks like dung on pretty much all guidance....a cutter really. Kind of hard to avoid that actually in this pattern....it could end up flatter as we were musing earlier but it's an uphill battle with the troughing out west and still pretty high heights out east. But the cold front behind that system sets the table for 1/18...that's really been the one to watch I think.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 1/15-16 event still mostly looks like dung on pretty much all guidance....a cutter really. Kind of hard to avoid that actually in this pattern....it could end up flatter as we were musing earlier but it's an uphill battle with the troughing out west and still pretty high heights out east. But the cold front behind that system sets the table for 1/18...that's really been the one to watch I think.

Yes 18th 19th was we said this morning would be the modeled preferred time frame. Nice storm on the Euro 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m not afraid to take my chances with this pattern at my location.  Should be a fun couple of weeks tracking despite any let downs. 

You can have the same h5 pattern as 2015 and get different sensible weather results. Not only should we not be afraid...we should be fist pumping and high five’ing each other.  

• Like 1