Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2015_Jan20-Feb15.gif

A little off topic. Lemme ask you. How unusual is the pattern we are seeing in the 1-7 day timeframe with a strong Bermuda high in January creating such unusually warm departures +15-25. don’t think I have seen that in a while during what should be the coldest time of the year. High usually stays out by the Azores during the winter months.thank you for the response as always. Helping us learn from the best :)

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

time to stock up on firewood and fill the oil tanks.....I hope the snow bullseye sets up about 150ish miles to the west, for personal reasons obviously :snowing:

It's not an exact match but the western ridge axis and theme of +AO/+NAO with the low heights just extending straight down into New England are the same. 

Obviously we can't expect the historic snowfall to repeat but it should be a favorable pattern for some larger snow threats for our region. GEFS and GGEM ensembles are a bit west of the EPS with the ridge axis...esp GEFS (though they have been trending toward EPS) so we may see a bit of a compromise as we get closer but even that would still be a very good pattern. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PaulyFromPlattsburgh said:

A little off topic. Lemme ask you. How unusual is the pattern we are seeing in the 1-7 day timeframe with a strong Bermuda high in January creating such unusually warm departures +15-25. don’t think I have seen that in a while during what should be the coldest time of the year. High usually stays out by the Azores during the winter months.thank you for the response as always. Helping us learn from the best :)

It's definitely anomalous for January but it happens every few years I'd say where we get a huge SE ridge bulging up and sending huge height anomalies into our region along with temps over 60F. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Sell the big wedge on the GFS. GFS did something similar last “tuck event” (Jan 4/5), while mesos never bought in. Similar story to last big ice event that struggled hugely to get 32F isotherm south of ORH. And this setup is a lot warmer still...Fade climo with ++AO, much less southward movement of cold; eastward trajectory predominates. 

Completely agree.

Fwiw - the ESRL are a 'little' more robust with -EPO ...  

One thing I'm noticing, the MJO from the NCEP camp is quite powerful and roaring through phase 5 and 6 over the next 10 days, which is a warm signal for eastern N/A at mid latitudes... It may be that the MJO wave its self, along with it's forcing, are in conflict with the attempted(ing) changes of the N arc of the Pacific. 

The Euro has a robust wave, but about half the magnitude, and collapses it mid way through Phase 6 ...which in total sort of "synergistic" consideration may be allowing it see more of a dominant WPO-EPO modulation on the our side of the Hemisphere .. comparing to the neggie wave interference of the GEFs.   

As an afterthought ...maybe that explains some of the GEFs/GFS progressive bias at times ...it tends to wave interference at large scales/integrals ... which would tend to send things on more W-E corrections.. 

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's definitely anomalous for January but it happens every few years I'd say where we get a huge SE ridge bulging up and sending huge height anomalies into our region along with temps over 60F. 

I know it's December, but growing up I seem to recall every few years we'd have a toasty December day.  I even recall in my 20s going out in Christmas shopping deliberately in my shorts with temps near 70.  I think that day is still my warmest December day.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I know it's December, but growing up I seem to recall every few years we'd have a toasty December day.  I even recall in my 20s going out in Christmas shopping deliberately in my shorts with temps near 70.  I think that day is still my warmest December day.

That was Dec 15....60s xmas eve and day

Dec 14 was also horribly warm

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

12/29/84 is the warmest December day on record for many sites (in terms of anomalies).

Period of record for BOS (1873 to present) shows 92 days >= 60 degrees in January. So an average of about 0.6 per year. Max of 5 in 1950, a month which was +7.2, with 64 on the 4th, 61 on the 5th, 63 on the 14th, 72 on the 26th and 62 on the 29th.

There was a freeze in between each of these (other than the 4th-5th, obviously) so in a sense five major January thaws that month. The 72 is really most impressive: lows were 24 and 21 the days before and after. 

(It wasn't a January thaw, but my most memorable thaw is probably the -9 on 14-Feb-16 and 54 on 16-Feb-16. The -9 was the coldest temperature at KBOS in six decades and a -30 anomaly, two days later it was 54 and a +10.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's not an exact match but the western ridge axis and theme of +AO/+NAO with the low heights just extending straight down into New England are the same. 

Obviously we can't expect the historic snowfall to repeat but it should be a favorable pattern for some larger snow threats for our region. GEFS and GGEM ensembles are a bit west of the EPS with the ridge axis...esp GEFS (though they have been trending toward EPS) so we may see a bit of a compromise as we get closer but even that would still be a very good pattern. 

A lot of "positive" info, but not much talk of what can go wrong, which is what really matters

• Confused 1

Just now, Dr. Dews said:

A lot of "positive" info, but not much talk of what can go wrong, which is what really matters

I dunno...maybe it doesn't verify because it's 11-15 days?

I think that's pretty baked into these posts unless one is a total newbie here. 

I already mentioned it may verify a bit further west if there's a compromise between it and the GEFS. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I already mentioned it may verify a bit further west if there's a compromise between it and the GEFS. 

Just don't bother Will. We all know the drill. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Verify west, you are talking that progged general trough axis? It seems like we need some blocking to get it done (better than transient)

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Verify west, you are talking that progged general trough axis? It seems like we need some blocking to get it done (better than transient)

Yes. It could verify a little west if there's a compromise. The western ridge is what locks the trough in place...the PNA/EPO sort of link up and you can have a prolonged pattern where you keep getting reloads. There's a cutter danger if the trough axis is more over, say, Michigan versus the northeast....though you'd still have a lot of winter events even in that scenario (see January/February 2014).

• Like 1