Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

MJO forecasts suggests that the weeklies won’t make anyone happy today.   While guidance is better on the ensemble products one has to wonder what kind of staying power any change to cold is later this month or February.

The CFS weeklies would suggest about a 2 week period of a colder period as the last week looks like the trough is moving west again.

The monthlies show a colder Feb but now has a warm March with the same look as now.

Maybe my first back to back below average snowfall winter since 2006 7 2007 8.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

MJO forecasts suggests that the weeklies won’t make anyone happy today.   While guidance is better on the ensemble products one has to wonder what kind of staying power any change to cold is later this month or February.

There is a cluster heading toward a high 7, let's see if that grouping grows over the next few days.  Otherwise, we take our chances with the COD.

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Next weekends cutter on the 0z GFS would be a snow and ice storm for CNE/NNE, Just like all these other ones that look to shift east over time.

Looks like a sleet bomb again .. for now.  Obviously, this one, too, will be modulating across future guidance, sending social-media through the usual negotiations ... haha

Anyway, here we are again with a couple of cycles worth of runs, loading up the extended with ice storm threats. It's interestingly persistent as a base-line 'look' this winter so far. A tenor that's been going on for weeks really, where intuitively mix/ice specific types of winter events would seem favored. 

Yet, we've only really received one meaningfully impacting event for that supposed potential. At least down this way.

It could just variance getting in the way and masking a dominant signal.  Be that as it may, in this case, we have the Euro/GFS/and GGEM ... perhaps some cross-guidance support then to lend credence. Notwithstanding details at this range, their's consensus there:  fresh, new very cold low level wedging arriving/presaging a main thrust of WAA lift, that produces a QPF bomb over top an intensifying frontal slope that is crushed S by the weight of said high pressure as it folds around the east limb of the total baroclinic space.

That sounds like an ice storm frankly - we'll see.  

But I do wonder if the other shoe will fall at some point and we end up with a 2.5 day steady state accreter at some point.

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn what a sick ice storm signal. Absolutely classic setup if modeling stays on that. I would pay attention from Gene to Hunchie 

I’d be nervous if that was d2-3, but I suspect it’ll either trend back torchy or go full court press. 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like a sleet bomb again .. for now.  Obviously, this one, too, will be modulating across future guidance, sending social-media through the usual negotiations ... haha

Anyway, here we are again with a couple of cycles worth of runs, loading up the extended with ice storm threats. It's interestingly persistent as a base-line 'look' this winter so far. A tenor that's been going on for weeks really, where intuitively mix/ice specific types of winter events would seem favored. 

Yet, we've only really received one meaningfully impacting event for that supposed potential. At least down this way.

It could just variance getting in the way and masking a dominant signal.  Be that as it may, in this case, we have the Euro/GFS/and GGEM ... perhaps some cross-guidance support then to lend credence. Notwithstanding details at this range, their's consensus there:  fresh, new very cold low level wedging arriving/presaging a main thrust of WAA lift, that produces a QPF bomb over top an intensifying frontal slope that is crushed S by the weight of said high pressure as it folds around the east limb of the total baroclinic space.

That sounds like an ice storm frankly - we'll see.  

I wonder if the other shoe will fall at some point and we end up with a 2.5 day steady state accreter

Could there be any Hadley Cell involvement?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’d be nervous if that was d2-3, but I suspect it’ll either trend back torchy or go full court press. 

Maybe you'll get a legit snowstorm out of that....if that system follows the dominant trend of the past 2 weeks, it will press big time in the next 2-3 days or so before maybe trying to tickle back N a bit. But I suppose at some point that seasonal trend will break.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

After a prolonged crap spell which we see at least every other winter , I notice weenies for some reason want to believe / forecast that it will “snap back” to an epic period for “a couple weeks”...usually it’s not that great . 

Just stay active and keep the pig away and a keep a deep trough away from the west and we take our chances in February 

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Could there be any Hadley Cell involvement?

You think you're being funny but ... you're likely spot on  :) 

I mean, the idea is that sloped sounding events would be favored because of that ... Increasing the gradient and the sped up flow, that tends to disrupt the ability for the classic Norwegian Model Low's various structural components. Not sure what your level of education and understanding is, but .. there are classic conveyor jets that need to formulate...etc..etc..  Systems tend to be smeared as they don't have the mechanics to overcome the background gradient, and so overrunning tends to happen more often.   

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

After a prolonged crap spell which we see at least every other winter , I notice weenies for some reason want to believe / forecast that it will “snap back” to an epic period for “a couple weeks”...usually it’s not that great . 

Just stay active and keep the pig away and a keep a deep trough away from the west and we take our chances in February 

Anecdotally sounds anecdotal